Morton 4WD Campout

Nastymind

Hi,

I've come across a 4 day weekend in a couple weeks and was thinking of spending 2 or 3 nights camping over Morton Island.

Never done this before and would like a bit of advice.

First of all i don't have time to rust proof my Prado so i'm not so interested in driving along the beach. Is beach driving necessary or are the bush tracks between bays convenient enough?

Also, what condition are the bush tracks?

I am currently running street tyres so aggressive 4WDing is out of the question.

How early do i need to book the barge and campsites?

Do i need to take my own fire wood or is there somewhere i can obtain it there?

Is there fresh water available on the island?

What else should i consider before going?

I don't want to make this too full on, it's just meant to be an easy going, relaxing, casual weekend away from work.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I've never been to Moreton mate. But if you haven't already got it, I recommend you pick up a copy of "Dirty Weekends in SEQ" by Brad McCarthy, heaps of top info in there.

And generally, just make sure you equipped for sand driving - snatch strap, bow shackles, recovery points, fold up shovel, tyre gauge and compressor.

Hope ya have a good trip mate, no doubt will be a fun weekend.

Cheers,

Matt

Mate i have been 4 or 5 times and have never rust proofed the car but it sure wouldn’t hurt i just don’t know how much good. I wouldn’t go to Morton unless i went in a 4x4(or you will be a nomad):P:P all the tracks range from flat as a road after rain to a bit rough but still fully driveable there are some good gutters on northern side also good Jew spots towards south passage you don’t have to be a expert 4x4 by any means as mangler said "Dirty Weekends†is a good read

Also while on the barge gab a pie and let your ties down to 18 psi there is a compressor on the barge to blow up on return you will have a ball just ask ellicat

Also I think that fires are not allowed anymore as it is all national park and you will need a camping permit ($4 per day per person:unsure: ) a vehicle landing permit cant remember cost as it is years since I have been over . You used to be able to get permits from the barge. Yeh the 4wdriving is dead easy as they have closed the good tracks :angry:

hi mate

i would recomend to buy your own shit! it will always come to good use next time and time after that!

im thinking of getting some 4x4 gear for when i get my ticket back!

compressor, snatchem, air jack, long shovel, first aid kit, fire ext and a big ass engal fridge!

i would definatly recomend the rust proofing!!!

a few dollers in fish oil could save you a few thousand when you go to sell it and theres rust in the chassis!

give me a call if ya wanna go shoppin mate?

Ian.

AZZA wrote:

and dosn't smell like dead fish ,when I was a younger man I spilled about two liters of fish oil behind the seat in my panel van took forever for the smell to go away floor never rusted though

*apparently*

The fish oil smell doesn't hang around like it use to.

Or so people have said on the internet :)

mate, moreton 4wd'ing is not too arduous. there are some inland tracks which can get a bit boggy in places, as most people said let your tyres down to 18-20 psi and don't be afraid to use low range if you need to. watch out for tree stumps and broken roots as they can go through tyres, just drive around them. beach driving is relatively easy around the island, obvioulsy in direct proportion to the level of the tide, the higher it is the harder the driving is! there is fresh drinkable water available at most camp grounds, and most have dunnies and showers. the camp ground at north point is by far the best on the island. as for rust proofing, a bit of tectyl and she be right. electronic rust proofing is the go if you are doing a lot of sand driving, a bit exxy for a one off trip though! main thing is to give it a dam good clean afterwards. and a snatch strap will set you back about $60 from autobarn slacks creek, a good bow shackle another $15 or so. get a tyre gauge and a compressor, super cheap has compressors for about $75 which work fine!

Nastymind wrote:

Hi,

First of all i don't have time to rust proof my Prado so i'm not so interested in driving along the beach. Is beach driving necessary or are the bush tracks between bays convenient enough?

A: Moreton island is totally sand the inland tracks are just that tracks so you can get to the otherside.

Also, what condition are the bush tracks?

A: these tracks were made my the army years ago they are still in good condition but never really maintained

I am currently running street tyres so aggressive 4WDing is out of the question.

A: street tyres will be ok mate however you may concider letting them down to around 20psi first, If you still run in to trouble you could go as low as 15psi. There is air compressors on the barge to pump them back up before getting back to mainland.

How early do i need to book the barge and campsites?

A: last time i went (6 months ago) i needed to ring parks and wildlife to book a spot in the camping zones, If you want to camp away from the camping grounds that are designated alotments, look for the camping Zones. And book the barge as early as you can.

Do i need to take my own fire wood or is there somewhere i can obtain it there?

Is there fresh water available on the island?

A: all i know of is a tap at Northpoint camping bay, this spot is made up of about 30 campsites, like i said earlier if you dont want to be in a site book yourself in say the Northwestern Zone, This is allways the best spot IMO, It ranges from Comboyuro point to Northpoint camp site. There are toilets at Northpoint aswel, You will get a basic map if travelling on the Micat.

What else should i consider before going?

A: concider what are you there to really do? Touring or fishing? Moreton is a pretty big place and getting around when the island is not busy can sometimes feel daunting ie: get stuck and you could be there for a while, I always carry a snatch strap i'm lucky enough to have a winch and you should allways have a shovel onboard,

Fishing: gutters along main beach always full of dart whiting and occasional bream and flattie, Rocks at Northpoint are closed to drive up to anymore however you will need to cross over to the northern side and stop at the sign, Walk about 1klm to the rocks always worth a flick for mackerel tailor on dusk and travs, There is a small lagoon northern side if you had a cast net you can gather a few poddy mullet for live bait, This got me hooked up to a 15kg+ cobia from the rocks which i could'nt get it up so i cried and had to cut it free. also most norethern beaches will produce good dart and whiting also flick lures at high tide aroung anything submerged for the bigger bream and flatties

I don't want to make this too full on, it's just meant to be an easy going, relaxing, casual weekend away from work.

A: to be honest moreton for the first time will be full on either way you look at it, For a first timer there is just way to much to see and do, I have camped there for 2 weeks straight and still did'nt get to do everything i wanted to do.

Bait: grab a yabbie pump and you will get them at yellow patch (go on low tide) be careful fall in to a patch of quicksand and crack a stubbie sit back and watch the tide come in and swallow ya landcruiser, this place will be totally desearted around 1/2 tide and goodluck trying to get help. main beach only will produce pipies, low tide again look north or middle road for these, and poddy mullet in the lagoon between northpoint and yellowpatch need a castnet and some wits about you to get em. and finally wave a bonito in the sand on main beach for some beach worms on low tide if you have never tried this before umm... Goddluck lol

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Mate if i had 3-4 days on the island i would

catch the micat from port of brisbane, early first day, hopefully time it for a low tide run, get off go straight up to middle road pass through to main beach, drive north all the way to the lighthouse, can't go any further. look out for a bucket of pipies on the way, pass over the track to northpoint head west on the northern beach for approx 1klm and look for a spot in the dunes, set up kick back. on dusk try just out front for a gutter should get a few dart.

day 2 head back down main beach flicking into gutters along the way, untill the blue lagoon track head in for a gander and a swim. head back to camp. possibly try pump some yabbies at low at yellowpatch.

day 3 get some live poddy mullet from the lagoon just out fromt the campsite there at northpoint and drive as close to the cape(lighthouse) on the norethern beach as you can. walk the rest with some sp's bait and pillies. the rocks there are like the rest dont go alone and take extreme care, throw out a pillie on a float even you should get a mack or cobia, sp's for bream and bait will do the rest. make a day of it then back to camp.

day 4 pack up early head back the same way you got there and when you come out of middle road on the western beach this time drive stop at tangalooma wrecks stop in the middle of the sandbar that sticks out closest to the wrecks and throw some squid as far out as out can you will get squire here the passage through there is about 10m deep and on a running current you will get em plenty of lead to keep it down.

Good luck mate looking forward to the report!!

craig.

Confused wrote:

the report on the news is it's going to close very soon. however i had a 88landcruiser 4.0l petrol and that exact trip as described above will be approx 80l in a newer prado mate i'd doubt you even using 50l, but good on ya terry for mentioning that some ppl think its like sraddie

Yeah I read about that, they might be closing.

Just didn't want nastymind heading over with half a tank or something and needing to fuel up over there :X

Alrighty, i've checked the tides for the 3 days and they are all low during the day which makes it great for touring the beaches throughout the day and fishing/snorkelling in the afternoons.

Now i'm really excited.

I've found the micat website to book the return barge trip, but i can't seem to find a website where i can book a spot in the campgrounds.

Is anyone able to help me out with a link please?

Shrimpo wrote:

Theirs the Combi Trader at scarbrough

Yeap, Combie trader is the other barge. it drops you off at Bulwar

Also no fuel station at bulwar, as it has closed. So you MUST TAKE YOUR OWN FUEL.

Take your own firewood, and have fun.

Check this link for updated info

/>http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi?parkid=77

Dave

Mate i got a Moreton Island Tourist Book/Guide at the boatshow. By the look of it i think micat produces it,

If you call them on 39093333 they may be able to send you one.

Its called Moreton Island Brisbanes best kept secret.

Its got maps, Town guides, History, Attractions like the sand hills and whatnot, accomodation. It is really good.

If you cant get a hold of it send me a pm and i will send my copy to you.

Archived