Coleman or Pelican Canoe with 5hp motor?

batman

Hi chaps need some advice.

I have been yak fishing for a while now and loving it, however I have an old shoulder injury that play's up from time to time and I have to go for a reco at some stage soon.

I have been looking at boats as of late and it is certainly a goal of mine to own a Tournament 2000 bluewater or something of that ilk by end of next year.

In the mean time I have had my eye on one of these Pelican "Bayo", they take a 750kg payload and are rated up to a 5hp engine. I am living up near Jindalee now so the thought of puttering up and down that area with my chocolate labby (and maybe the missus)sounds pretty cool.

The question is how fast will a 5hp engine go and will it handle the strong current of the Brisbane river?

A 5hp engine vs a Mina Kota electric?

or should I save my money and buy a decent tinny?

I have no idea when it comes to boats.

Any feedback would be great!

Batman

batman wrote:

Hi chaps need some advice.

I have been yak fishing for a while now and loving it, however I have an old shoulder injury that play's up from time to time and I have to go for a reco at some stage soon.

I have been looking at boats as of late and it is certainly a goal of mine to own a Tournament 2000 bluewater or something of that ilk by end of next year.

In the mean time I have had my eye on one of these Pelican "Bayo", they take a 750kg payload and are rated up to a 5hp engine. I am living up near Jindalee now so the thought of puttering up and down that area with my chocolate labby (and maybe the missus)sounds pretty cool.

The question is how fast will a 5hp engine go and will it handle the strong current of the Brisbane river?

A 5hp engine vs a Mina Kota electric?

or should I save my money and buy a decent tinny?

I have no idea when it comes to boats.

Any feedback would be great!

Batman

start saving

I reckon you could be onto something, Me personally i wouldnt take a canoe on the brisbane river but for smaller rivers and creeks and dams etc, I reckon it would be ok, However one of those would be say $1500 for the canoe and then another $1500 or so for a motor wouldnt it? If you could stretch your budget to 4-5 grand you could pick up an excelent 2nd hand tinnie around 12-13ft with a 15-25hp motor, That would handle any river and the bay on a good day, You would also get their quicker then a canoe with a 5hp, I'd say that canoe with a 5hp would get about 10knots while 13ft tinnie with a 25hp will get 20-25knots.

A canoe with a 5hp might have a bit of trouble at the 17 mile rocks on a big run out tide but will definitely get up against the current everywhere else.

For the same sort of money you can find bargain tinnies. I got a 10ft Kevlacat on trailer with 10hp for $850 off ebay so the missus can come fishing too.

She found out there are sharks around Jindalee so said no to a yak.

mate i know where your going with this one,

convinced myself the same things for many years

ive just sold my kayaks and bought a boat.

there is really no comparison in terms of where you can go and the fishing potential between the two. As others said you are far better off saving the $2500-3000 and putting it towards the tinny. I know your eager but if you do this it only prelongs the real fishing.

i know it sounds a little nagative but mate a canoe is not a boat,

sure its great in the upper clarence or somewhere like that but if yo wana chase some serious fish (especially on lures/plastics) then a boat is your go

cheers,

Ben

Archived