Hinze Dam Next Weekend

Brian D

Cop this you married guys - my wife is going down to Sydney for a week and that means I can fish all weekend without the guilts or fear of punishment.

So 1 day I'll be in the bay sharking, or maybe outside if conditions are good, then the other I'll be fresh water boat fishing.

Any suggestions? It's getting a bit late in the month (moon) but we might do OK somewhere.

Brian cant you count?

1 week equals 2 days and nights on weekend, and another 5 nights! well say 4, so you can clean up the last night before she comes home :woohoo:

Let me know what day you are fresh fishing,I assume Hinze?

Saturday is out, but if its Sunday \"she who must be obeyed\" has something on in the arvo, but I might be able to get someone to child mind for a few hours.

If I can I'll try and tag along in the silver bullet, might be able to make a bit of a day of it like we did at Baroon! We will have a few spare slots between us for extra deckies.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/15 17:43

Ha - how is this - she said cause I am going to Lenthalls in Feb she can have a trip to Sydney - so she's going this weekend and I get to go fishing all weekend and then again in Feb at Lenthalls. That sort of punishment I can take.:laugh:

Yeah Feral - and anyone else - how about a day at Hinze on Sunday. Does anyone want to commit? Yaks are good, but only got room for 1 more person in the Cannon Ball, as Arron is keen to take a seat, I think.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/15 19:40

Cool Arron but you don't have to wait till Thursday - I'll take live shrimp - say about 50 for me - how much$$$- or you can teach me how to catch em.

I have air bubble thing that plugs into a power point that would keep prawns alive for a week - will that keep the shrimp alive too?

I'll check with my potential baby sitter this morning, I'll also get onto Ray, see if he is interested, and if he can bring some shrimp home from Glenlyon.

If you keep shrimp with an aerator, they can survive for up to a month. I'll also see if I can score a shrimp scoop. When Alex was at the survivor camp down there with Steve (Sports Tuition), Steve showed the kids how to scoop shrimp out of the weeds, so Alex reckons he will catch some bait for us!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/16 04:06

Aaron H wrote:

Might also be worth chucking a couple of traps in that lagoon you get the carp out of to mate.

Will do - I was thinking that yesturday but what sort of trap - I have a few red claw traps - will tey do or is the mesh to big?

I might have to go to BCF again - bummer.

Not Sunday mate.

Lots to do around the house and i am already going to North Pine Saturday morning. :) Seriouly does anyone fish salt water anymore :P

Good luck though.

Apparantly the toga are biting at the moment, but you have to specifically target them.

So try a few Spinner baits at surface level or poppers on teh edge of the weedbeds and any snags.

Problem is could could work all day for one or no toga, but on live shrimp i guess you can be sure a few bass.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Not Sunday mate.

Good luck though.

Apparantly the toga are biting at the moment, but you have to specifically target them.

So try a few Spinner baits at surface level or poppers on teh edge of the weedbeds and any snags.

Problem is could could work all day for one or no toga, but on live shrimp i guess you can be sure a few bass.

Angus

Good tip - thanks Angus - Karma for you - Last week the Toga where breaking the surface but I didn't chase em. But next Sunday look out Toga. Just like this one. 

post-118-14459840543_thumb.jpg

Ray probably wont come, but he is going to try and bring home some shrimp. Apparently they are getting 4 or 5 handfuls of shrimp out of every pot.

I've sent ferg an Invite, have the baby sitter sorted, so Alex and I will be there, just waiting for Ferg to reply!

Aaron H wrote:

Brian - the traps I use are about $6 or $7 each at BCF its just the fine mesh shrimp traps, bait em with soap or meat and they work a treat, Opera house pots are good for Big shrimp, but the smaller ones get through

Hey aaron, Not tryna start a conflict or anything but I would be careful where you use soap as bait, We did a school project on it and it actually screws up the water quite badly. It kills a lot of the fish stocks in the area and other stuff of which I can't remember,

Tim

There are heaps of soaps Tim that are not chemically based.

These are the ones that should be used for a couple of reasons.

Firtly, being all natural they dont adversly affect the water. No more than pouring a small portion of fat and li into the water would anyway. Obviously in exccess it would not be advised, but that would stand true for any foreign body.

Secondly, shrimp are attracted the natural soaps not the chemical ones. Im not 100% sure how natural soap is made. But im under the impression its basically refined lard etc. So yeah it would make sense why shrimp would be attracted to it. :)

Angus

P.S. See fightclub for more information on making soap :)

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/18 08:23

Ray has managed to bring a few back from Glenlyon for me. Hope they stay alive until the weekend.

Where will you be Brian, any idea at this stage? I wont get there to early as I am dropping in at Rays to pick up my shrimp, (and see if I can twist his arm to come along)so I am expecting you to be well and truly out on the water by the time I get there. I probably wont be there until after 7am.

Feral I most likely be up near the island - that's where the fish were holding last weekend. But I will be looking for over hanging trees - toga toga toga.

Hope Arron gets a few more shrimp. I'll put my pots in again tomorrow and pick em up on the way.

Arron - maybe you should bring a couple of your pots and we can drop em on the day as well. (if you don't get plenty before then)

Dunno where the rangers are, have to have a look around.

At least one thing, If I am late getting on, it ought to guarantee you blokes getting fish early!

Weather is looking good for Sunday, light NNE breeze in the morning, maximum of 27, should be a nice day.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/19 07:50

Aaron H wrote:

Caught a few shrimp not a heap (thank god the aquarium has some :) ) Will bring the traps mate and I got one of those scoopy net things which are supposed to get them as well although I probably have enough booked.

karma for your shrimp ;) but watch out if they don't work you might loose karma:woohoo:

Looks like the missus cant move her day out, and I already have the babysitter lined up for Sunday arvo anyway. I was speaking with Ray, we will probably go down to Hinze Sunday anyway in the silver bullet, so make sure you leave some fish for us Brian!

I expect a detailed report of where they are biting!

Angus wrote:

There are heaps of soaps Tim that are not chemically based.

These are the ones that should be used for a couple of reasons.

Firtly, being all natural they dont adversly affect the water. No more than pouring a small portion of fat and li into the water would anyway. Obviously in exccess it would not be advised, but that would stand true for any foreign body.

Secondly, shrimp are attracted the natural soaps not the chemical ones. Im not 100% sure how natural soap is made. But im under the impression its basically refined lard etc. So yeah it would make sense why shrimp would be attracted to it. :)

Angus

P.S. See fightclub for more information on making soap :)<br><br>Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/18 08:23

refined lard and li in a blender ad powdered wood ash(preferably from the ash tree, hence its name)till you have a stiff paste, mould into blocks allow to set

= soap

Archived