Kayak Anchor

yoyo

Well i finally pulled my finger out today and got around to getting a small 2.5kg folding anchor for the Hobie.

Will couple it with a D-Shackle to some 6mm anchor line....

My question is, for the purposes of anchoring a small kayak, should i bother with a length of chain ? Maybe just for anti-abrasion purposes ?

thanks for your input

YY

Just make sure the shackle goes onto the pointy end of the anchor. Tie the anchor rope to the other end with a bit of twine/solder/ziptie/whatever. When it gets snagged on the bottom, a decent tug will break the connection and can retrieve your anchor. While Booty's setup works, you will end up donating it to the reef at Wello, or roots and stumps in the bottom of a dam.

anchor_assy-20100112.jpg

Ahh excellent, thanks guys....

also, my Prof at Uni who would claim to have more hours at sea than on land, used to tell me that it is the chain (weight) that anchors the vessel, not the anchor itself - merely serves to hold the chain in place............ right or wrong, he was 'always right' if you know what i mean ! ;-)

This is my setup. Just hook the clip on the anchor trolley, open the bag and pull th anchor and rope out and throw it overboard, it sorts itself out. There is a pocket on the bag for spare cable ties.

Photo0048.jpg

Photo0049.jpg

This one has about 10m of VB cord as i only use it in shallow water, I have a sea-anchor for out in the bay and a spare anchor that i might rig up the same with more rope for deeper water if I ever need it.

Archived