Trim Tabs

Hainesman

1 hour ago, timtam_ said:

I currently have a 20ft boat with trim tabs. It allows you to keep the boat level no matter the weight distribution. If the weight moves ie esky or people moving around it's just a quick touch of the button to relevel it again. 

Rather that launching off the waves in rough weather you can put the trim tabs all the way down and keep the sharp part of your bow down cutting through the wave rather than launching off it and slapping down. 

I've never had them before and doesn't take long before I thought why hadn't  I put them on my other boats. 

I have hear before that they are more beneficial on 6+ m boats. I'm not sure why, but others with more experience may be able to answer that question. 

For the size of your boat i would go volvo pentra QL tabs. 

They will go good on it.

i have them on my 6.5m platey and i can honestly say, i wouldnt drive the boat without them. They make it a totally different boat in chop and swell

I had them on a 6.5m mako craft and felt that they were useless in a bit of a chop, on reasonably calm days they served a purpose, however if you cannot distribute you weight in a 5m boat you have bigger issues, I would try this first its cheaper. Trim tabs do not allow you to go any quicker, more so a smoother ride is achieved, In my mako craft it tended to travel nose up, the trim tabs no matter how much I played around with them The bow would just not come down until I moved some weight towards the front in this case it was about 30l of water and a spare anchor maybe you could try this before spending any money

Very interesting to hear a totally opposite experience. When it is calm I can have them all the way out of the water and just use the motor trim and tilt. In the rough they pull the nose down quickly and provide a far better ride. On the down side when they are down they are dragging through the water so less speed and fuel economy.

On my previous 5.3m boat I installed a SE Hydrofoil on the back and it was a big help in keeping the nose down and improved handling. For $150 dollars they are a relatively cheap option compared to trim tabs. 

18 hours ago, Luvit said:

5.3m boat I installed a SE Hydrofoil on the back and it was a big help in keeping the nose down and improved handling. For $150 dollars they are a relatively cheap option compared to trim tabs.

I have had theses hydrofoils and reckon they are the bees knees, I was a bit apprehensive about drilling holes in my motor for the bolts but they do work and now you can buy an adaptor that eliminates drilling the holes. They get you out of the hole quicker, trimming is easier, and they reduce cavitation on a turn. I hope this helps

1 hour ago, Joe Devereux said:

I have had theses hydrofoils and reckon they are the bees knees, I was a bit apprehensive about drilling holes in my motor for the bolts but they do work and now you can buy an adaptor that eliminates drilling the holes. They get you out of the hole quicker, trimming is easier, and they reduce cavitation on a turn. I hope this helps

The se400 foils with adaptor is a waste of time. Bla gave me 2 new sets as they kept coming off.drill holes, works alot better

i dont use tabs in calm weather either. as for head on or rough weather i think tabs are a must. Who cares about speed and economy when its rough. Id rather be comfortable.

If planning is your biggest concern then I would go the Hydro foil. Trim the motor all the way down and the bigger surface area of the foil will pop you up on plane quickly, then trim the motor up to get the best performance. Good luck.

You can get foils that clamp into the cav plate so you don't have to drill holes in it. I had one but can't find it otherwise I  would say try that first. See if you can get hold of one. 

Even try a lower pitch prop remembering to maintain manufacturer's specs on rev range.

• 7 months later...
On 09/05/2017 at 11:02 AM, Shane69 said:

The se400 foils with adaptor is a waste of time. Bla gave me 2 new sets as they kept coming off.drill holes, works alot better

i dont use tabs in calm weather either. as for head on or rough weather i think tabs are a must. Who cares about speed and economy when its rough. Id rather be comfortable.

I’ve had the SE400 on my boat for over 100 hours of use and they have never let me down.  Never had to retighten. 

Archived