Cribbies?????

BrianFocker

Do you need to go to Cribb island to get them or can you buy them from somewhere? :unsure:

Also, I've read about mullet being top notch bait. Short of netting livies, where do you get them from? Do they come frozen whole at bait shops or would you buy fresh from a fish monger?

Apologies for seriously dumbing down the thread... :blush:

you can buy the worms live at good tackle shops

buy mullet fresh at a fisho or the seafood counter at woolworths, much better than frozen from a bait shop

easiest whiting bait is buy a packet of squid and a bottle of red food colouring

cut the squid into nice 50mm strips 5mm wide tapering to a point then soak the strips infood colouring

or you could go to the butchers and buy a bullocks heart and cut it into the same size strips

much cheaper than the worms, they are quite expensive

like $20 per person for a few hours fishing

Feral wrote:

Bommie wrote:
I use the big yabbies hooked through the side of the head making sure not to kill it

Bommie - Got a diagram or picture of how to do that? It sounds like something worth a try!

Interesting!!

If I go into the head they usually die quickly

cheers

maybe getting a bit off topic...but who thinks its better it leave the nippers on a yabbie when fishing for whiting?

I normally take them off so I don't get nipped. But have tried with them left on and seem to get bigger fish, but maybe not enough to say it is a rule of thumb.

Plus I had the ultimate insult a while ago, where me and the misses ran out of yabbies. So she baited up a yabbie claw by itself that I had pulled off and left in the bucket, and I went to soft plastics.....She caught 2 bream I got zilch!

hope this helps,

use a little size 3-4 chem. sharpen hook, go in on the join behind the head (on the side) stay just under the shell and back out. You only want 5mm of the shell on the hook (No good if you have to cast the hell out of it), I use a 3m 1-2kg coarse fishing rod 6lb line small running sinker and about 1.5 metre trace, the whiting are caught in 1/2 metre or less of water. You need to strike as soon as you get a touch otherwise you've missed the fish.

I usually remove the big nipper.

I have tried all other methods of rigging them and this produces the biggest and the most

ironing board is big al's idea seen as he is the fish cleaner:laugh:

I use to rig them through the tail but always missed fish, wind it in with the head missing or caught little bream so thats why I started hooking them through the side of the head, now only seem to get bigger whiting, and also no bream or other pickers are caught just whiting

flatty_catcher wrote:

hmm I never took much to whiting, too many spindly fine little bones for my liking.

hey what are those whiting beads and tube used for?

Dan

Some use the beads/tubing(usually red)on the trace,sitting on top of the hook for an attractant.

Some swear by them,others catch whiting without them,comes down to a personal choice.

Archived