Smacked by Moreton Bay

Brian D

A last minute discison to join the staddy crew for a day trip turned into a costly trip with empty baskets.

Jeff F and I met at the servo at about 3.30 and headed for the redland bay ramp. Launched the boat and started casting for some livies. We got 1 mullet, 2 prawns and a buchet of herring that were not going to last the trip to the fishing ground.

We set off accross the bay to the deep hole just south of Goat Island. Set some troll lines and after about 30min I got hit on a 120 Barra Classic (guns'n'roses) only to have the wire crimp let go at the swivel. That's the second big fish in 2 trips to take a barra classic and keep it. No more trolling,we dropped anchor.

Jeff F couldn't settle, "It's like fishing in a deserst" he says. Anyway the live mullet got hit and after a good fight we have a 4.5' shark at the boat. It headed for the anchor chain, I locked the spool and snapped the 50lb main line. (next time Jeff, pull the anchor please).

We both got the pips so headed north to drift flick plastics accross the reef. We landed only 1 out of about 20 fish. I thought I was fishing Norfolk island the way they just kept busting us off in the coral. We were fishing light gear in 6-8 foot of water.

Part B because part A was too long

We meet up with Angus and Boydie (spelling sorry). Gave them our secrets and drifted away. After using up about $100 worth of plastics gear on the coral I headed the boat into the mangroves to try some popper action.

All we managed was to hook trees, snag the reef and gouge about a 300mm of gel coat from the hull when we washed up onto a rock by the wake from a passing ferry.

We then tried skark fishing again but after about 5 mins we gave up and headed north to Dunich Peer. We flicked and lured until we got bored then headed further north again, up to Aminity.

The phone rings, "F it I said, It'll be wife or work. We trolled around until it was time to meet at Horseshoe Bay. That's where I find out the phone call was from Angus telling me that a school of kingies have moved in to the peers where we just left. (whose's a looser).

Part C because part A&B were too long.

After meeting up with the AFO crew and hearing the Kingies at the peer story, we tossed the BBQ out the window and headed back to Dunnich Peers for a big fat zero.

By now we had been on the water for 10 hours, we were sunburnt, tired and ticked off. Heading back to redland bay the tide was running against the 20 knot wind and creating metre plus preasure waves.

This is where the smacking comes in. I was riding the boat on the back of a metre plus thinking the wave was moving forward when it actualy moved backward and we fell into a hole that swallowed the boat. In the process Jeff lost his footing and was heading over the side of the boat only to be stopped by the rod holder holding our good rods. It was great the Jeff managed to stay in the boat but not so great that 3 rods and a reel were broken. Yeap that's right, when we landed on the rods, all 3 broke and he snapped the spool from arm of his sol reel. A bit over $1000 worth of damage.

I am kinda hoping Jeff will do the details.

So after recovering we continued heading south with the metre plus preasure waves rolling backwards and us dropping into many more pits. We did in deed get smacked.

I must say the fuel economy of the 60 4 stroke yammy is fantastic, we only used about 30 litres all day and that's with 2 big blokes,a tackle store full of gear and more then 10 hours on the water.

Gees Brian,

With all the luck you are having on the water whether it be on the yak or the boat, it might be time for you to fish landbased for a while.Just make sure you don't try it off of the rocks otherwise you may end up having a dip that you hadn't planned for.:(

Hope it all turns around for you soon.

Hulk

Gezz Hulk thanks for reminding me. I feel so mcuh worse now:blink:. B)

Funny thing is that I am busy patching the gel coat as I write this piece. We intend to have another go tomorrow and if the boat was not so damaged I would be there again today. I think Jeff wants to try again but after licking our wounds he might be weighing up his options.

Ah well, that's moreton bay and that's why so many have perrished on her waters but I I just love fishing and being on the water. :fishing:

Safety first guys!

Ouch!:ohmy:

Oh well - that's how it goes.

It's good that you can bring home a good story even when it's not a fish story :pinch:

Got caught unexpectedly out there once as well...even considered the life jackets at one stage. Didn't, but in afterthought it was probably a good thing to do.

I thought I heard some thunder yesterday - was probably Jeff's response to the busted Sol :whistle:

what a day, everything beat us.

the fishing gods required a sacrifice

i just wish it wasn't my egrell and td sol.

deffinately keen to do it again tomorrow b man

anyone got a diawa td sol 2500 body they dont want

mine broke off at the leg so all the mechanicals are fine

Brian D wrote:

Gezz Hulk thanks for reminding me. I feel so mcuh worse now:blink:. B)

Funny thing is that I am busy patching the gel coat as I write this piece. We intend to have another go tomorrow and if the boat was not so damaged I would be there again today. I think Jeff wants to try again but after licking our wounds he might be weighing up his options.

Ah well, that's moreton bay and that's why so many have perrished on her waters but I I just love fishing and being on the water. :fishing:

Safety first guys!

where abouts are you thinking of going??

Not sure where the other post went but yeap, things got worse on the 2nd trip.

Poor Jeff smashed up his car at 3.30am on the way to the meeting point. He is very lucky to be alive and lucky not to suffer far more damage.

I found him just after the accidient and to his credit he still wanted to go fishing. He got the car off the inbankment and onto the footpath and packe dhis stuff in the boat and we were off.

I must admit I was ready to call it off but not Jeff and after what he had been through I wasn't about to let him down.

I'll let Jeff tell the story but suffice to say it was a close call for him and a big blow to his wallet.

I don't think I want to read any more reports from you guys for a while, the way you're going the next one will end with a chalk outline.

Still it was one of the more intense and compelling threads I've read in a long while, maybe we should make you 2 sit separately?

I hope you've both paid enough to the fishing gods and will be blessed with fair weather, good fishing and long lives.

Archived