Lenthalls February anyone interested?

Feral

Ok guys i have an official leave pass from the mrs and will be there!

I will also try and take either friday or monday off so i get a proper two solid days. Also id prefer to yarn around a fire at least 2 nights!!! (While no chasing Barra of course)!

Woot!

Angus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feral wrote:

Find yourself a rope, if the fish are far away we can tow you to a starting point, same as Brian with Electric only!

Forgot to tell you Feral I got a couple of motors to choose from - B)

Is a Suziki 6HP 4 str OK or is it too big?

If it's too big I got use of a 4.5 Mercury 2 stroke.

Sometimes it pays to work in a yacht club!;)

Hey Angus that was funny - you might be able to reel the silver bullet in with the right drag setting!:woohoo:

At this stage I am staying from Friday to Sunday - I might get there Thursday - just see how I feel. Angus if you want to stay Sunday night you can either take over the tent or bunk in with feral and I'll pack up the tent.

If anyone else from the site would like to come but can't get there or needs a tent I can help with both.;)

I have a spare tent and a spare seat. So who else wants to catch some Barra, Togas, Bass, etc.:)

Angus that would be good.

I got roof racks or you can stick the yak in the boat.

I you do that we could leave Thursday Night or Friday Morning and be there for the Friday Morning session.

Then we get 3 full days and drive home stuffed and happy.:laugh:

It's about a 4.5 hour drive so if we leave at about 1am we could be there for the Friday Dawn session. Or leave Thursday Night at 7 pm and get there at midnight have a snooze and get the early session. I think I would prefer the Thursady night drive so I feel fresh Friday Morning but either option is good, I do both all the time.

What's your preference?

Troy said: I would but I probably couldn't get the money in time. Nor could I get there with my kayak. If I went I'd have to go on the weekend because of school.

Angus said : It will be cheap and im going friday, sat, sun same as Brian. So one day off? \"Limit your catch, dont catch you limit\".

Brian said: Troy I feel I still owe you for Awoonga so the same deal stands. I will pay your share of the petrol and pay for the tent site. All you have to do is pay the extra person fee (which I think is about $20) and whatever food you want.That's it. Cheaper then fishing the Brissy River.

As to getting your yak there - Can't we stick it in the boat like I'm doing with Angus's. Or at least put 1 on the roof and 1 in the boat.

So by by view I think it's all about - Can you get Friday off school?

I beleive you are talking about the weekend of the 16th, 17th and 18th? I like your thinking Brian! :kiss: . Gee I never thought I'd be using that smiley. :P .

I'll ask mum about it but it should be fine. Are you sure everything will fit in your 4wd and boat Brian? i.e. Kayak, 3 combos, tackle, food, sleeping gear etc? Just making sure.

I recon I could spend no more than $100 on this trip then a bit more extra fishing tackle on top. That should cover everything right?

Troy

Kiss me again and you'll loose karma and I'll forget to tie down your yak:pinch: :sick: :laugh: :ohmy: :(:blink:

I am pretty sure it'll fit - I'm not taking that much stuff. It's a 4mt tinny.

If Angus carries his yak on the roof of his sedan it should fit on my roof. After seeing Jimmy load them onto his wagon at Baroon I feel a little more comfortable - the yaks don't look as flimsy as I thought they were.

I see the biggest problem is your legs - there's not much room in the back seat but you can spread out cause you'll be only one in there.

Yeah it'll be \"cozy\" but should be OK.

Hey Guys,

Been away for chrissy but it sounds like a good trip. I might be interested. Should be able to swing twos days off work and most likely will be on night shift so will not have to come home until lunch on the third day.

Will all depend on cash flow at the time but there will be a little room in my car. if anyone needs some gear moved up(if I actually come). My problem atm is my camping gear is up in townsville so I can sleep in my car but if there is room in a tent that would be awsome.

Here is an email I got back from Wde Bay water about Lenthalls.

Basically no access outside 6am to 4pm for any reason (no bank fishing or canoeing)

Andrew,

I can advise that camping is not permitted at Lenthall's Dam, the speed

limit is 4 knots and the maximum motor boat size is 6 HP.

In answer to your questions:

1. Access times are the same each day 6.00am to 4.00 pm including

week-ends

2. The restrictions refer to gate opening times to provide access

to the amenities and boat ramp. We do not permit over-night camping and

for safety reasons we do support activities on the water during the

night.

3. As above, the restrictions refer to gate opening times to

control access. We do not permit over-night camping on the water and for

safety reasons would not approve night-time canoeing.

Camping is permitted at the nearby Wongi waterholes. You may consider

this location as an alternative and access Lenthall's during the day.

Regards

Michael Lever

They have stupid curfew things like that at a lot of Dams. At North Pine you arn't suposed to be on the bank from 6pm to 6am but i\"ve been there a few times before and after those times with no drama. Like Brian said, that's the best time to fish and I know I'll be kayaking at those times.

Troy

Brian,

Cania is best accessed up the inland highway (Turn west at Gympie is shortest route, or travel up through Esk might be an option for you coming from south side), then go up through the inland highway. Beautiful spot, from memory there is camping at the dam - I have been there on a work trip, dropped in for a looksee, but no fishing.

Mate of mine from Rocky fishes there regulary with his daughter and loves it (or used to poor bugger is having a tough time with cancer at the moment).

That will be Australia day weekend, it is pretty popular, might want to try booking as soon as possible.

Numbers not really needed, Its pretty much everyone booking themselves, Th elongest stayers will be from the 15 to 20th, with it set up to span the weekend so short stayers can front for both days and have company! (And hopefully the good oil on whats biting on what and where)

I have booked for Ray, Graham, Ferg and myself, I think Brian is arranging his own camping, they have plenty of powered sites where we are staying, or if you want to rough it there is camping in the national park with cold showers and no power which I think is free.

another memory just surfaced from the murky depths.

if you go downstream from the walla couple of hundred meters around the bend there are a series of deep pools with wild bass in them,offspring of stocked fish that went over the wall in '93or'94 a few patches of bank are accessable on foot or you could launch a yak in the spillway pool

Ok fella's its getting close. Those of you that are going, have you teed up your rides and accommodation?

Also dont forget you need an SIP, $7 a week, or $35 for a year.

Also remember outboard motors maximum 6hp, fishing is 6am to 4pm (so not worth doing a mad dash after work, you wont get on until 6am anyway)

Remember We are staying at the

Burrum River Caravan Park

114 Old Bruce Hwy

Howard

Ph 41294859

Note the Caravan park has a pontoon, and there is a boatramp into the river a couple of km's away for anyone who might want to fish the river at some stage.

I will be there from 15/2 to 20/2, or Thursday to Tuesday. They have powered and unpowered camping sites.

There is also the Wongi Waterholes, which has unpowered self registration sites (I dont know what the costs are)

Relevant links

Lenthals Dam info

http://www.widebaywater.qld.gov.au/residential/lenthallsdam.php

Burrum River Caravan park

http://www.burrumrivercaravanpark.com/

Wongi Camping

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iaparks/gds/IAGDS020.do?parkId=26

Stocked Impoundment Permits on line ($7 for a week, must have printer to print it out if buy them on line, otherwise most post offices sell them)

https://www.smartservice.qld.gov.au/AQ/selectItem?formID=3

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/27 09:53

Archived