Lenthalls February anyone interested?

Feral

Mate I coming - I will be there from Friday till Monday. Gotta work on Tuesday.

I have booked a powered site near your cabin where I will be putting up a tent or two. Very basic stuff but for the ensumble, kettle. sandwich maker, wok, sausepan and frenh chef. Yeap that's right I'll be bring a french chef.

I've started making my platted traces to drag the barra out of the stumps allready. I gonna attch them to 50lb braided bimini with a catspaw loop knot - can't wait.

Can I bring my cast net to get some live bait from the river? I suspect there are Jacks in there.

Is it a barra? No it's a bloody big Bass, no it's a Toga Yahoooooooooooo:woohoo:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/27 18:00

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah thats why I mentioned the pontoon and river boat ramp. Hopefully some poddies can survive long enough for something exotic to find em!

Took the silver bullet out for a run in the salt with the 6hp johno on. Runs like a swiss watch.

It was interesting, she does about 10kph on full throttle, a bit quicker than Rays 4hp, but she is surging and lifting the nose, back it off to 3/4 throttle and she drops the nose and still does 10kph. I reckon she is wanting to plane at full throttle (although a long way short of it)

I might move the secondary batteries forward before lenthalls (hard to see otherwise)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/27 17:36

OK Feral and others

I have just confirmed with caravan park.

I will be bringing a mate so I will pack 2 tents.

The site will cost $32 per night. Troy your share is $6 per night. They have put us in the space between Rays powered site and the cabin. Hope that's OK with Ray and Feral.

I explained the 2 tents and Bonnie said it's OK, she'll just charge for the site and not the extra tent.

So wer are booked and confirmed.

Troy - what about your yak? Can you think about getting it to me or arranging me to pick it up before the Thursday. I will be putting a wire rack on the roof racks, then I'll put a mattress on top of the rack and your yak can go on that. Nice soft ride. But please note \"All care taken but no responsability.\" I have never lost a surf board so your yak should be cool.

I can get some good value excellent quality chriovac Beef Rib Fillets (like the whole fillet not cut into steaks). These usually go to make about 15 steaks. Or 10 of you like them as thick as me. Would anyone else be keen if picked one or two of these up?

Angus

Mate I am bringing my own chef who will be suppling beer and food. arhhhhh the pleasures of management, so I might pass on the steaks. :P

Chef is bring his own portable cookers and I am bringing a fridge. We'll be pretty sweet thanks.;)

It's bad enough that I have to sleep in a tent but sure arn't going without too much:woohoo: :woohoo:

Feral,

What size and type of boat is the silver bullet? Curious to know how big a boat a 6hp could run?

This trip sounds great but I am starting a new job on tuesday. Then again I could always come up for the weekend...or a long weekend. Something to think about.

Joe

jmac wrote:

Feral,

What size and type of boat is the silver bullet? Curious to know how big a boat a 6hp could run?

Mate there is a thread where I did her up in the boats section.

She is a 4.9m riveted hull aluminium runabout. Probably a dehaviland.

The 6 pushes her at about 10kph, it also ran quite well with a 4hp as well, I'd reckon about 8kph. She also runs 4.5kph with a 3/4Hp electric.

Remember quite large boats run on small horsepower engines, displacement boats dont need a lot of horsepower! Brian might be able to fill you in just how big a yacht can still use a 6hp outboard as a useful auxiliary, but I have seen a 24 footer with one.

I am basically using 70 to 100mm minow sized lures,various depth, jackall size / style sinkers(but not Jackalls!)and poppers. I'll be taking 4 shrimp traps for bait and 2 opera's for redclaw (to eat, I reckon they are useless as bait, never caught anything on them!). I'll also have my soft plastics, Bass size, and the left overs from Awoonga.

From what I read people generally target the bass, and the Barra are caught as \"bycatch\" I'll target both I reckon. I'll mainly be working the edges of the lilly pads, with either plastics or lures, which is my favorite fishing style in dams, so might even get a Toga or two. I'll fish bait when my arms get tired and after about 10am probably.

Those Awoonga lures are worth a go Brian, gotta target some big Barra, Barra over 1m, while rare, have been reported at Lenthalls.

Thanks mate - I'll pack some spinner baits and tassie devils too. I got for Apera traps and 4 shrimp traps that will be coming.

I got heaps of bass plastics so they'll be coming and all my smaller HB lures.

Crap too exicted I'm going to start packing now. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, I've a got a spinner bait or two going as well. Will sus out the Tassies at Kmart tomorrow, particularly if that sale is still on.

Hopefully the shrimp will be plentiful, so should have some stored for the \"weekenders\" to use.

Angus, I'll be in the meat, I reckon we can have a big BBQ on the saturday evening, everyone who is going should be there that night. Ray will be eating fish by then! :sick:

Angus wrote:

I can get some good value excellent quality chriovac Beef Rib Fillets (like the whole fillet not cut into steaks). These usually go to make about 15 steaks. Or 10 of you like them as thick as me. Would anyone else be keen if picked one or two of these up?

Angus

Angus are you looking for people to take a whole rib fillet or go shares?

Ray

Ray are you taking fridge - I'll be taking a bar fridge with a baby in built freezer. At least the beer will be cold - owe you a couple too.

Other Items I am taking:

Kettle, ;)

Fan, ;):P

Full size bed:P :P

Flat 6 sandwich toaster:cheer:

Coffee cup :cheer:

Stubbie Holder:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Doesn't get much better then that.B)

Here's what my daughter receipe with the toaster.

Turn it on

Put in 2 pieces of bacon, 1 egg and 2 pieces of bread.

Close lid for 4 mins - open lid

Put cheese and BBQ sause on bread now toast

Put on bacon and egg

turn sandwich maker off (sometimes) and eat

Very clever and nice

Brian: Yeah mate, right now it's a definate. Unless something major happens and my boater can't make it though it's all been organised ;) . So no.

Feral: Yeah Angus said the same :P . Though I figgured it wouldn't be the best of times to go since the restricted times etc. being enforced on the dam. They are having a 24/7 security guard patrolling the dam either now or very near future so fishing the good times isn't possible without getting busted, even in a kayak :( .

Troy

Saw a report that the construction mob have managed to leave a small pile of rubble in the middle of the boat ramp,just below water level, so one needs to be careful with your boat, apparently not blocking ramp or anything, but causing a shallow spot you can run afoul of launching. So I suppose we need to walk the ramp before launching on Thursday eh?

http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com/artman/publish/article_211.shtml

More stories on Lenthalls from Paul Dolan

http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com/artman/publish/cat_index_7.shtml

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/02/01 04:36

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/02/01 04:40

Brian: One of the blokes who works at Jones's fishes Lenthalls frequently. He picked up a few weeks ago 11 Barra in 3 hours. All over 80cm largest going a little over a meter. So i think its safe to use some decent size lures. Also are there Golden Perch in teh dam, coz they take oversize lures.

Ray & Andrew: Rib fillet would be awesome for a Saturday night BBQ. It always produces nice tender steaks. Esepctially when you eat red meat like me, RARE. Consider the steak my contribution to the trip.

Looking very forward to this one. Have got the official leave pass from work for the friday so nothing stopping me now. Will leave on the Thursday night.

Angus

Some good news and some some not so good.

I have just been speaking to Dan from ausfish. He is on the local stocking assn.

1. One of his mates went fishing at Lenthals this morning and caught 15 barra and lost another 10.

2. There are no redclaw there but there are shrimp and in a dam on the way in there are local blueclaw crays,

3. Dan will be caretaker for some of the time that we are there and we will be able to leave our boats there ( at our own risk)

4. There are some rocks just off the end of the ramp and care will have to be taken. ( Wide Bay Water response is stiff)

5. The water level is dropping and WBC told Dan if its a problem they will close it down.

6. There is a problem with illegal camping and rubbish being left at the back of the dam and WBW'S response is if it continues they will close it down. I spoke to Dan about the feasabillity of organising a working bee to clean it up but he said that an organised event would only draw more attention to the problem but the stocking assn would appreciate if we were to pick up all rubbish that we see.

Ray.

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/02/01 11:25

Back up plan: Just camp in the same place and get a referdex out. There would have to be some saltwater rivers and creeks to throw out bass and barra lures around for Jacks etc.

As te monty python boys say: Always look on the bright side of life. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

the burrum river has plenty to offer if worse comes to worst. i used to live on the south bank opposite the old power station, there are heaps of queenies, trevs, salmon, jacks, xos cod, the odd barra,plenty of prawns and muddies too and that was just fishing off the back yard.:woohoo:

My doctor is fishing there this weekend, will hit him up for a report next week.

He reckons he always does well there, he goes every couple of weeks.

Yeah we might have to do another dam anyway just to get a night fish in, will check out which ones are closest and allow power boats (got nowhere to leave all those 4 and 6 hp donks!)

Archived