7 x 50cm+ North Pine Dam Bass.

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Ando (ando_04), Tim (TIMBO) and I headed down to North Pine today to have another shot at those 50cm+ Bass. We started casting at around 9am and continued for around an hour for nothing. Then Ando suggested to head back the other way to the bank we had pulled a 50 and 40cm fork double hook up from a few trips before, and that we did. Turned out to be a great decision.

Within 15 mins of casting Tim's TT Spinnerbait gets clobbered by a weighty but very sleepy Bass. He didn't take much line until he saw he bank then zzzzz. A few final ditch efforts and he was banked. Smashing Tim's old 39cm P.B, a solid 51.5cm fork Bass. Turns out he really wanted that Spinnerbait with the stinger hook up the back on the top of his mouth.

An hour or so and a few more Bass upto 40cm past when I had jsut finished the sentence, 'Matt's the only one here not to have landed a 50cm+ Bass'. Immediately after, 'Here's my first 50cm' when a solid 50cm Bass takes his Yozuri 3D Series Vibe, and boy did he take it! The big Bass were really taking the lure with gutso but lacking in the fighting department .

I switch lures to a Jackall Mask 60 since they weren't into rattles so much. Three casts later I'm onto my new P.B. at 51.5cm fork. The same time I hook up Tim throws his spinnerbait at the same spot where I hooked up and he's immediately on with a 48cm fork and a nice double hook up of fat Samsonvale Bass.

These fish were going absolutely balistic from then on with a hook up every 5-10 casts between us. Many of these led to solid fights and more 50cm+ Bass. To be honest I can't remember everything in order. It was too much to take in all at once.

Ando then went on to nail another 51cm Bass that was the heaviest and fattest fish I have ever seen! It had a huge tail wrist and really gave him the best stick I have seen from any Bass.

We ended up with 3 double hook ups, a load of missed hits, I got bricked twice by absolute thumpers that didn't stop. One time i swam out to get him off but still not good enough. After reefing him from the snag he just went back into another and busted me off . The fishing was unbelievable and somthing we probably won't experience for a long time. We bagged 3 51.5cm, 2 51cm, 1 50.5cm, 1 50.3cm, 1 49.5cm, 1 48cm, 1 46cm, 1 44cm and 12 other fish ranging from 21-43cm. All fish were Bass and measurments were to the fork of the tail. The 51.5cm fork fish were 55.5-56cm full length. I think the most annoying thing was seeing one of my Bass falling just short of 50 at 49.5cm.

We didn't move for the whole day once we reached this bank. Lures that worked were Jackall TN60's, TN70's, Mask Vibe 60's, Yozuri 3D Series Vibes, TT Vortex Spinnerbaits and Glitter Gold Tassie Devils.

There's quite a few pictures we took with Ando's new digi. He should have a few posted up either tonight or tommorow morning. Sorry about the vague report. I'm a bit tired from casting heavy lures all day and reeling in those big ones!

End Tally was:

Troy:

13 Bass: 51.5cm, 50.3cm, 49.5cm, 44cm, 41cm, 8 other fish ranging from 21-39cm.

Tim:

9 Bass: 51.5cm, 51cm, 48cm, 46cm, 5 other fish ranging from 30-39cm.

Ando:

4 Bass: 51.5cm, 51cm, 50.5cm, 45cm.

Troy

Every single bank looks the same. Pretty dang hard to tell just from pics. There's something like 20-30kms of bank on that dam and if u can be bothered making the long treck through the bush from the closest drop off point then good luck to you :P .

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2007/01/09 22:41

Congratulations!

There is nothing like a bl@@dy good session like that.

Cant wait for it to rain so we can get boats back on there, fish that size and in those numbers are not uncommon from a boat!

Of course I take personal responsibiltiy for converting you lot to fresh water fishing! Otherwise you would be spending your holidays catching catties from the Brisbane River!

Feral wrote:

Congratulations!

There is nothing like a bl@@dy good session like that.

Cant wait for it to rain so we can get boats back on there, fish that size and in those numbers are not uncommon from a boat!

Of course I take personal responsibiltiy for converting you lot to fresh water fishing! Otherwise you would be spending your holidays catching catties from the Brisbane River!

Well as I am a convert of your I suppose I can blame you for all the money I am spemding and the strain on my marriage.:laugh: :ohmy:

How is fish stocking conducted in North Pine? Or isn't there any at the moment? Almost forgot to say, all fish were released to fight another day once they reach 60cm!

Feral: Why not just go target them from the bank? When we see bait fisherman fishing there they are usually getting a couple.

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

How is fish stocking conducted in North Pine? Or isn't there any at the moment? Almost forgot to say, all fish were released to fight another day once they reach 60cm!

Troy

does mean that none were released? I thought they were all under 60cm. Have i just had a blonde moment?

Ash: Couldn't get much blonder :P .

Add a TT Rev Head to those Orange Soft Plastics and your bound to have more success. Rev Heads are Jigheads with either a Willow Leaf or Colorado Blade coming from the bottom. (The same type of blade coming from a Spinnerbait but smaller)

They are just as productive as a Spinnerbait but cheaper. A Spinnerbait is about $13-$14 each. Rev Heads are $7 for 2 then plus the soft plastic tail. Remember to use a Soft Plastic with some tail movement like a paddletailed or grub type plastic since this gives a lot more action and vibration and looks a lot more attractive.

Troy

Here's a Rev Head. [img size=307]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/TT_Rev_Heads.JPG

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2007/01/10 13:05

post-68-144598405339_thumb.jpg

yep headed down about 10ish and no i didnt have a chance to look for your bank.went down the walking track to the dam at macgavins view and stopped to rig up all the lines at the waters edge and of coarse rigged up my girlfriends line first with a spinnerbait she throws it out and with no more than 2 turns of the handle BANG zzzz ZZZZ she's on to a ripper!!!at this time im still fumberling through the tackle box looking for my fav lure.I hear Dazz Dazz ive got something so i run over and land a near 50cm bass...she was stoked:woohoo: and i was shocked:unsure: by the size of the beast..anyways I caught zipp,not a bloody thing:angry: left early before i could have a good look around.To hot for the family today so im going BACK another time.I do have a pic of the bass with the missus holding it but she wont let me put it on the net....Till next time...cheers Dazz

Being out fished by the missus wont last long, I see the heir apparent to that throne in the background of the pic checking out the local bait situation!

as an aside - I'll be buggered, spell checking is enabled! half my post was underlined in red as I typed - took me a while to work out what it was!

At least 100% of her trips have been with 50cm+ Bass :P .

Feral I think I should be asking either your or Ray these questions. Are fish being stocked into North Pine Dam? Or it's on hold for the moment?

Also Lake Kurwongbah is just North of Lake Samsonvale would you know if there's any fish in there? I'd say there would be ones that have gone over the Samsonvale wall but are there any others stocked?

Troy

Archived