Penn. Any Good?

plugga

Can't comment on their reels, but their higher end ones i.e. spinfisher, international game reels are meant to be very good.

I use some penn sport splus rods for offshore trolling and bottom bashing and have found them to be very good for the money.

plugga, I've used Penn reels sinse 1948 and have found them to be excellent value for money. My current spinreels are AFFINITY 8 bearing models in 1000 ,2000,3000,4000 sizes.

all of these are coupled to pfleuger rods andall have braid lines. as far as I'mm concerned, they are the greatest.:cheer:

Its interesting to note that people seem to still be having good experiences with all the newer penn gear which is no longer produced in the USA.

Like Davo stated, I have heard heaps of stories of the older penn gear being near indestructible.

my bro a few days ago was tossing up between a penn and a abu gracia the price of the abu was better.he was about to buy the penn on name reputation.i have had 2 abu for over 2 months now and they are not looked after and still going good .so for the price he is giving the abu a try.

it's like everything these days u can buy the cheap or deer version with the same name .

i'm trying some rovex a deer brand of Jarvis walker,but i had some jarvis gear go for years before it pooped.

Penn and ABU where rated in the higher quality of old

but the newer versions well I know a abu 7000 made in asia somewhere is crap and the lower end of penn is made by jarvis walker which used to be a good brand but IMO has slipped into the crap end of the market :angry:

penn senators /internationals are great reels the new reels ????? made by JW cheap asian copies

same with ABU get a ABU from sweden cant't fault em get a cheapie from asia look the same but they are crap

saying that I will confess I have not used the top end penn internationals for a long time but the lower end Kmart ones look like crap

I still have a penn jigmaster 30 odd years old and still going strong

Gaz

Penn is a very good brand, just wouldn't touch Jarvis Walker - There other products. I also like Rovex. If you ask me the general brand Penn is right up there with Shimano and Daiwa. Just different products and materials used. OH and totally agree with Gazza, there older reels such as the Senators are brilliant it's just that they've started making Jarvis Walker that people don't class them as highly as a decade or so ago!B)

Tom

hairyweasel wrote:

After about 12 months the solid glass tip became really brittle and we could snap pieces off with our fingers. Dont think it was an expensive rod though.

I'm guessing it would have only been a cheapie?

Tom

• 1 month later...

Archived