Another spill and useless EPA.

dhess

Woke up this morning went out onto the balcony to see a reflective slick on the brisbane river as far as the eye could see in both directions. We live on the river at Teneriffe on the 7th floor so it was pretty big as I can see most of the way to New Farm Park and all the way to Hamilton. It was only about 20m wide though. Did anyone else see it?

Not sure what it was but looked like petrol or diesel. Not thick enough to be crude oil.

Ummed and ahhed for a bit and decided to let the EPA know. Looked up the most appropriate number on the internet and phoned them. Went through the automated phone system and finally arrived at the option which said "Report a fish kill or chemical spill" or something to that effect. Being a public holiday I was forwarded to a male switch bitch who took my details and a description of the event assuring me someone would get back to me soon.

To cut a long story short, that was at 10:30 am. Haven't heard a thing. How the hell are the EPA expexting to bust people releasing crap into our waterways if they can't be arsed following reports up? :angry:

They should grow some fvcking teeth, because I am sick of toothless tigers!

Did anyone else see it or hear anything or was I on acid or something!?! :S :side: B)

Just received a phone call from the EPA.

After thanking the employee for responding in such a timely fashion, she asked me a few questions about the incident. i.e. length width of the slick etc.

She did admit that it should have been responded to earlier and didn't know why it hadn't. I asked her how they expect to catch people doing the wrong thing if it takes over 24hours for them to respond.

She then went on to tell me that the best people to notify are the council if the spill is coming off land or marine safety if from the water. I asked her what the EPA's actual role is apart from closing down recreational fishing areas. No response. :angry:

Read page 13 of the courier today and find that the EPA has not officially existed since madam boss was re-elected so obviously the petty powers that be are running around trying to look after their little dunghills and to hell with the real matters of concern.:unsure:

i understand her going quiet at the end as she is just another employee and might not understand where that statement would go or mean. the heads of the department will be responsible for all of that and would be able to respond to those sort of questions. small slicks break up very quickly and if it was a shean on the water it sounds like very small amounts as it spreads a lot. i saw a slick in the river the other day and by the time i got back on deck with my skipper the tide had broken it up. comercial vessels don't even have to report a spill if it is less than 20litres which is pretty much standard. this alone would make a very long but thin shean on the water

Archived