Stanley 05.05.2009

Freshy

Hi all,

James W and I headed up to the Stanley this morning to get into some Bass and Yellowbelly. After speaking to James yesterday and thinking that after getting home from work around midnight last night I’d have time to get up, have a nice hot breakfast and a coffee before pick up at 8.00, James arrives knocking at 6.45. Needless to say I wasn’t up to answer the door. That was left for the kids.

7.00, on the road and off to a new spot on the river that both James and Kiwi had already spied last week. Three casts in and I’ve lost an SX40 (what’s $25 between friends). On with a Halco RMG and James pops over, in he goes and he’s on with a nice Bass around the 35 mark. Damn you James.

Then off we go peppering the structure as we go then a bump for James and then a, oh no I’ve missed it. Then a splash and another, oh no with a big Yella, swimming into the depths of the pond. Followed by a silt wash trail behind it.

Then off to another reach of the river. On goes another SX40 and across the river we go. A few casts (James let me lead the way in hope of my first Bass). Then we spied a nice pond with great structure, back eddies and some flowing water (it looked very fishy). Quite a few casts there and my first bump, very excited I was. Next cast and I’m on. Rod bent and the call comes from the other side of the river ‘Is it a Bass’, ‘I think so’ was the reply after a flash of colour. It was a good size and took a little line in the current. Then the call ‘Where am I going to land it’. I put myself in a spot that made it very difficult. Note to self, A little thought next time wouldn’t go astray.

Anyway it James to the rescue, I don’t know that his feet touched the water he was there that quick. A little guidance into James’ waiting arms and it was in my hot, excited little hands. My first Yella, a few pics later and it was released for another day. Needless to say I was very excited. :woohoo:

A little time goes by and we head back to the main pond. I still have my SX40, unbelievable only the one lost. We get to the main pond and I find a nice little spot with my new found knowledge (thanks to James and Kiwi). Then I’m on again :woohoo: a little Bass this time (my first Bass). With a grin from ear to ear it’s back in the water to fight another day. Five minutes go by and I’m on again, another little Bass. I love this river.

Then it comes time to head off home with some great pics and some great memories (my first Yella and my first Bass and a first for hard body lures). Anyway pics were taken on James’ camera so he will post later. However I have a pic from the pond that I got my Yella from.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0229_AFO.jpg

post-5096-144598492094_thumb.jpg

Awesome report guys and photo's.

Freshy this will get a nomination for ROTM from me for sure. Great terrain, great fish, great photo's plus all firsts! Well done!!

Jimmybob your going to need to start James W's Exclusive Stanley Guided Trips. :P

Angus

Thanks guys it was an awesome session and am absolutely hooked. What a way to spend the day. Walking the banks of a river system flicking lures. By the way I love those SX40s', a little expensive but well worth it. I'm sure the shirt helped also. :P

James you certainly are a good guide and I'm sure that elusive cod is just around the corner for ya... :)

I can't find the colour except for the number on the packaging but the yella and Bass were caught on colour #338.

Brett

Freshy wrote:

Thanks guys it was an awesome session and am absolutely hooked. What a way to spend the day. Walking the banks of a river system flicking lures. By the way I love those SX40s', a little expensive but well worth it. I'm sure the shirt helped also. :P

James you certainly are a good guide and I'm sure that elusive cod is just around the corner for ya... :)

I can't find the colour except for the number on the packaging but the yella and Bass were caught on colour #338.

Brett

Of course the shirt helped mate :P

I got my first yella on SX40 there as well.

Little scary around some of the snags, but then again, half the snags you can walk out to if you really dont want to loose it :P

Angus

Archived