Mud Island 15-16 and 17/05/2009

benno573

Hi all,

Been a while since I have posted anything of note other than total BS so thought I would add my weekend activities for your reading pleasure.

On Friday night headed out after work with Ellicat (I invited Kriso twice but he still reckons the broken finger nail he had was more important...:huh: ), went straight to Mud. Elli got busted up twice in quick sucession by good fish - I laughed. Until I missed two really good hits on livies just afterwards after which Ellicat had a good laugh, OK, fish a lot, us not so much. The air was often putrid for some reason where we were, seemed rather localised and somewhat isolated though, not sure what was going on there.

Not a lot happened until we moved and I deployed some of Benno's super secret burley mixture ;) and no, get your minds out of the gutter... :laugh: After that 4 bream were added to the esky. I then got hold of something that pulled a lot harder and came up with a 45cm slatey which have got to be the most under-rated eating fish going round. we also added a tailor and a moses perch. Good feed to boot!

Sunday... a leisurely start about 10am with the plan to fish the dusk session with Tacklebox and Kreel in tow. Headed out to try and tempt a late season mackeral, all we managed was a grinner and an undersized tailor :blush: .

Went back to mud, and anchored over a likely looking patch of ground. Started off with a few nice tuskies (with more of benno's super secret burley mixture) and then it went a bit quiet so we moved about 200m away onto another good looking bit of ground. Added a few more tuskies, then Kreel and I added 2 squire in very quick succession (Tacklebox's one missed by about 1mm... :( ).

Congrats to Kreel for FINALLY catching a legal snapper!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Then we kept getting bitten off by sea toads for a while. :angry: Mongrel things. Kreel then landed 2 nice grassies and I bagged a tailor in the mid 30's. All up total was 6 tuskies, 2 squire, 2 grassies and a tailor. Weather was awesome, company was much better than it was on Friday night... but that's not hard.

Thanks to Ellicat, Kreel and Tacklebox for keeping me company over the weekend, you guys are great crew as always and are always welcome. Was a great weekend on the water with a few good feeds through the week.

Photo of Sunday catch below.

Thanks for reading,

Benno <'>-< [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/17052009.jpg

post-2244-144598494247_thumb.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

Top feed mate! B)

How big was the bigest Tuskie? They've got the most amazing facial patterns hey!

tuskies were all from 30-34cm. Tacklebox dropped one at the side of the boat that would have gone high 30's. not giants but dam tasty!

dhess wrote:

Mate thats a very nice mixed bag for Mud.

What are those bay tuskies eating qualities like compared to venus tuskfish?

The bay ones are a purple tuskfish. Eating quality is exactly the same as venus - i.e. GOOD! :woohoo: very delicate flavoured white flesh... yum!

Just as I thought.... another BS report from Benno ;-)

Nah good work champ and good to see you back out amongst it and posting to make us all envious!

On a cooking note, how would you best cook the Tuskies as I have tried a few ways and they dont do a lot in flavour for me...

The company would have been better Friday night if you'd had something different for lunch :whistle: :laugh:

Did you use the same capture method for your secret berley mix ? lmao. Have you applied for the licence yet ? lol

Was a good night out as always mate. Thanks for the ride. Good to have someone who can see in the dark to take me for a fish.

We should have stretched it to a dawn session too. Didn't get the head down until dawn and slept until 5pm :blush: (Had some catching up to do from the week that was).

I figure we must have boated near on 30 fish between us, so a good nights entertainment. Much better than getting cranky at Steve Clark's worst decision in history. :blink:

ellicat wrote:

Did Kreel outfish Tacklebox ? :woohoo:

Well done on the Sunday effort :)

It had been alleged that kreel did indeed catch more fish than tacklebox...

As for cooking tuskies, dust with flour and fry in a mixture of butter and oil that is quite hot, be careful not to overcook. Season with a little salt and ingest orally.

ellicat wrote:

Did Kreel outfish Tacklebox ? :woohoo:

Yeah, I was surprised too. The day started and continued pretty ordinarily for me, I was catching lots but all undersized mostly the right species though - squire. By late afternoon I thought it would be another of those days when tBox could out fish me with a straight hook. I was even surprised by the end of the day tally because my total had crept up on me and tBox was continuing to catch fish, lucky for me they didn't make size (apart from the one that got through the big hole in the landing net).

Another great day out thanks to Benno, good company and he put us on some good spots.

Sounds as though ECat had a good night out as well.

It's amazing how far the smell can waft from the poo-shoot and how long they can persist. :X

benno573 wrote:

As for cooking tuskies, dust with flour and fry in a mixture of butter and oil that is quite hot, be careful not to overcook. Season with a little salt and ingest orally.

Do you just use the dust from the vacuum cleaner bag, or from the shelves of a bachelors house ? :P :laugh:

Archived