Hunting property.

sehrguht

thousandyards wrote:

a couple of pointers if you're lucky enough to have a farmer open up his property.....

- stop and have a chat with them if you see them and learn their names and their wife and kid's names.....your best bet is to build a friendship with them

- go the extra mile.....sometimes we do easter at the property so we take easter eggs for the kids

- make sure you have the right cash on you to pay for your stay

- clean up after yourself and after others. always try and leave it the way you found it or better

- be proactive and ask if there's anything they want you to keep an eye out for etc.

- if you stuff up and do something stupid, come clean about it and do your best to rectify it. my old man took a mate of his out and was worried they'd shot one of the property owner's cattle by accident - they told the owner anyway and said 'we'll fix you up for it if anything's wrong just let us know'.....turned out they didn't hit one and we still shoot on the property

- don't be a tool.....these farms are their homes and livelihoods. treat them with the utmost respect and remember it's a deadset privilege that they've let you on there in the first place

- SHUT THE GATES!!!!!!!! ;)

hope that helps.....we've done all this stuff with a couple of property owners near texas and they're happy to have us there, but no other hunters are allowed.

I dont think I have read a better piece of advice on here in 3 years than whats above here. I travel out west a fair bit and never have an issue staying on a property as I adopt almost all of this advice.

Only thing to correct though, is leave gates as you found them, if open, leave open. If you shut it you could be unwittingly locking cattle out from waterholes.

shortie wrote:

obone wrote:
sehrguht wrote:
obone : ring the weapons licensing branch, they lost my application for 3 weeks until i called them and got someone to follow it up.

Well gave them a call now that it's been 7 weeks!

"Your application is in the queue to be assessed"

"After 7 weeks?!?"

"You have to understand we have a very high work load at the moment"

:angry:

Joel ;)

Did it finally get processed Joel.

Mine has been lodged for 11 weeks now.

Yes sir we have your application its in the queue. We are very busy at the moment.

Yeh mate finally! Took just shy of 10 weeks. They're very busy at the moment :P

Joel ;)

I would suggest that if you want repeat access to properties the best way is to make yourself useful when you're out there. FOr example if you're a sparky ask whether they want power set up in any sheds while you're there. If you're a meachanic, service their utes or fourwheelers. ONe pro fisho i know takes a box of prawns and scallops out and is welcome every time. Even if you don't have skills, ask if you can help with any work around the place for a day or two. Fences always need work, gates, yards etc. SOmetimes an extra hand makes a job much easier. And I agree the advice given by thousand yards is spot on. Especially the clean up stuff. If you leave a mess, you won't be going back.

Archived