Hunting property.

sehrguht

I am a 2nd year apprentice carpenter who has just acquired a firearms license.

Looking for properties that may need pest control such as rabbits, foxes, wild dogs, feral cats and possibly bigger species of ferals later on.

I'm happy to go out and help on the property in return for hunting privileges.

If you know of anyone, or own property yourself, post in here or PM and we can chat further.

Cheers, Jeremy.

Weapon of choice, probably .223, i am saving for the one i want at the moment.

.22lr is great because its so cheap to shoot as well. Practice makes perfect(or at least closer groups).

Feral: I am a member of the Sports Shooters Association of Aust. which is an entity allowing me to own rifles. It was easier to do that and have range membership 20km from home instead of having 2+ hours drive to most properties. I can't imagine having someone throw their property at me being unlicensed etc.

Edit:

yoodles, yes it is a sporting license, but that is not restricted to only a range. It is allowed for me to shoot on a property as well as long as it is the right size. Many variables come into that too.

Sporting Shooters own properties up near Imbil. Seen their signs on the way to the Dam up there.

Its been many years since they took my licence for life off me, so I dont know the current rules, but I always thought a range licence was exactly that, only for the range, so looks like I have learned something new!

Feral wrote:

Its been many years since they took my licence for life off me, so I dont know the current rules, but I always thought a range licence was exactly that, only for the range, so looks like I have learned something new!

:o what did you do!?

nadders wrote:

Feral wrote:

:o what did you do!?

Didn't do anything. The Government just reneged on the deal, after promising shooters that when they introduced licences they would be for life, they reneged on their promises a couple of years later and withdrew the licences, requiring us to reapply and pay annual fees.

SO like a lot of other shooters I refused to reapply. I was no longer professionally shooting, so could not be bothered. The storm water pipe salesmen did a roaring trade that year!

Always a risk, particulary if using a scope. Your field of view is limited. You should know where you are on the property, so you dont shoot towards a boundary, and you would have spoken to the owner before starting to see what was going on on the property so you know the areas ok to shoot on that day / night.

When I was shooting my hit rate was 97%. I was only an average shooter, the good blokes I knew would regularly have 100% over 200 plus kills a night. It was about 40c a shot back then, a miss is lost money.

Remember a square mile is 625acres, so your closest boundary on a 600 odd acre property is only half a mile away. I never shot a property less than 10,000 acres anyway, even at that size it was not worth the effort unless you shot a couple of properties for the night.

sehrguht,

Probably not the best forum to be asking these questions...try these guys

/>http://www.australianhunting.net/

They organise hunts with property owners that have feral animal problems etc...you'll learn bushcraft, ethical hunting practises, advanced markmanship, gunsmithery and basically how to behave as a well adjusted male in a world that's gone limpwristed and metrosexual.

The only thing you'll learn here is how everyone else is catching more fish than you.:laugh:

P.S.

....and don't forget to get your pistol license too!B)

Ahh the Good old Days of going shooting. With the new laws having a gun licence is just two much hasles. My old man had to hand in his shotgun and winchester 3030 bloody nice guns :( As for places to go shooting I heard some of the magazines advertise farms where you can go shooting, I think they charge you a fee though or if you got time go into the stix somewhere and meet some farmers at there local pub. We done it a few times, just cost us a carton :). Problem these days people dont want anybody running round the farm shooting rifles.

Being a member of the SSAA does not automatically qualify you to blast away on properties. If you have a recreational shooters licence then you must have had a property owner vouch for you to shoot on THEIR property.

If you have a sporting/club licence then its issued for range and club private property only.

bootyinblue wrote:

Being a member of the SSAA does not automatically qualify you to blast away on properties. If you have a recreational shooters licence then you must have had a property owner vouch for you to shoot on THEIR property.

If you have a sporting/club licence then its issued for range and club private property only.

Correct but you do not need the permission in writing only verbal.

It also aleviated the need for filling out the form regarding hwere you are shooting in your application.

obone : ring the weapons licensing branch, they lost my application for 3 weeks until i called them and got someone to follow it up.

Dimo: I plan on getting out but have been busy recently but i will put the hard yards in soon. The SSAA and pay farms are very scarce on ferals, and for an apprentice carpenter that makes it a very expensive weekend away.

Clawhammer: i am already a member on aushunt which is a similar sized forum. Born in Mt Isa, not just from the city. i know a fair amount from my parents who both used to shoot professionally and are willing to come out to teach me skinning and dressing techniques for animals capes, i did scouts for 3 years which taught me a bit about the bush too.

Pistol license isn't worth it for me, not what i am into.

between fishing and hunting i will be very busy, don't forget i can be doing both at once out west:)

I figured a pre-emptive word out might hold a chance at being beneficial.

Good luck mate, I have wanted my license for a while now but havent had the time to go fishing let alone shooting! Next time your out west drop a few letter off at a few farms asking if they want any pest control done, you never know!

Cheers, Mick.

sehrguht wrote:

obone : ring the weapons licensing branch, they lost my application for 3 weeks until i called them and got someone to follow it up.

Typical. When I went to the cop shop to do it all the bloke said yeh don't hold your breath, they're hopeless. I'll give them a call on Monday

Joel ;)

sehrguht wrote:

Born in Mt Isa, not just from the city. i know a fair amount from my parents who both used to shoot professionally and are willing to come out to teach me skinning and dressing techniques for animals capes

OK, so you are probably getting pretty itchy in the city, being from the isa!!! Not too many pigs down this way :-)

The only pests i've heard of around here are the Wacol roos :P But you'd better leave those ones alone.

sehrguht wrote:

Well gave them a call now that it's been 7 weeks!

"Your application is in the queue to be assessed"

"After 7 weeks?!?"

"You have to understand we have a very high work load at the moment"

:angry:

Joel ;)

In my experience property owners are very shy with letting strangers onto their property, take a few days of and head out west to do some fishing and ask around in all the pubs etc in the area (leave the rifle at home on this recon trip)

If you're friendly and play your cards right you'll get access somewhere, we drove from canverra to St George years ago and the owner of the pub got us soughted, my mates have been going back there ever since, now they get access to the farmers guest house and a barbecue featuring his own beef!

Something to consider is using shotguns only, we found that farmers are a bit less worried when your using shotguns instead of rifles as they don't have the potential to carry multiple km's.

We got access to quite a few places around Canberra when I was into shooting and that one point was often the deciding factor.

Let's be realistic here, asking someone to let you onto there place, where there families live, and where they make their living is a really big ask.....leaving the high powered rifles at home and giving them piece of mind of NO stray bullets to worry about is a good idea, until you know the lay of their property and they know you.

We shot everything from rabbits to pigs with shotguns (excluding all the obvious little furries that you don't shoot) just use the correct load for the target and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of pointers if you're lucky enough to have a farmer open up his property.....

- stop and have a chat with them if you see them and learn their names and their wife and kid's names.....your best bet is to build a friendship with them

- go the extra mile.....sometimes we do easter at the property so we take easter eggs for the kids

- make sure you have the right cash on you to pay for your stay

- clean up after yourself and after others. always try and leave it the way you found it or better

- be proactive and ask if there's anything they want you to keep an eye out for etc.

- if you stuff up and do something stupid, come clean about it and do your best to rectify it. my old man took a mate of his out and was worried they'd shot one of the property owner's cattle by accident - they told the owner anyway and said 'we'll fix you up for it if anything's wrong just let us know'.....turned out they didn't hit one and we still shoot on the property

- don't be a tool.....these farms are their homes and livelihoods. treat them with the utmost respect and remember it's a deadset privilege that they've let you on there in the first place

- SHUT THE GATES!!!!!!!! ;)

hope that helps.....we've done all this stuff with a couple of property owners near texas and they're happy to have us there, but no other hunters are allowed.

BassTracker wrote:

Got 160 acres at blackbut. Pm me, we do a bit of shooting out there are would be ok if you joined as long as your not a nutcase :)

We came across one nutcase. We used to have access to quite a few properties when I lived out west and took a bloke out for a shoot. We asked him if he could shoot, and he didn't seem like a nutcase at the time. We put the spot on one roo and he opened a rifle case and told us to stay still.

The idiot pulled out a sword and started creeping throught the grass to the roo. Spotlight off...roo gone...he was planning on cutting the animals head off. Wrong !!! I don't know if he was trying to impess us but that was the end of that little performance.

When we shoot safety plays a huge part and this bloke fell way short of the mark.

Keep your head screwed on when your out there and stay away from the bangy end !!!

Little Grey Men wrote:

BassTracker wrote:
Got 160 acres at blackbut. Pm me, we do a bit of shooting out there are would be ok if you joined as long as your not a nutcase :)

We came across one nutcase. We used to have access to quite a few properties when I lived out west and took a bloke out for a shoot. We asked him if he could shoot, and he didn't seem like a nutcase at the time. We put the spot on one roo and he opened a rifle case and told us to stay still.

The idiot pulled out a sword and started creeping throught the grass to the roo. Spotlight off...roo gone...he was planning on cutting the animals head off. Wrong !!! I don't know if he was trying to impess us but that was the end of that little performance.

When we shoot safety plays a huge part and this bloke fell way short of the mark.

Keep your head screwed on when your out there and stay away from the bangy end !!!

Hahahaha mate that is a ripper story! I suppose among the killing game there are always going to be afew bad apples that ruin it for everyone.

Yep, some strange things happen when your out in the sticks. Let me entertain you with a few more if I may.

A mate and myself took my cousin out for a shoot, on my mates property. He had never shot before so we let him squeeze off a few rounds with a .22 to get a feel for it. We stopped at the bottom of a paddock and watched a little swampy bouncing along the horizon with the afternoon sun behind it. My cousin lifted the .22 and started to follow the thing as it bounced. The barrel was bouncing up and down in time...we just laughed and told him not to bother as the shot was too far off and the bloody thing was on the hop. BANG !!! he dropped it.

He was a complete legend for about a week until his next stunt which really put him in the bad books. This has probably happened to a lot of shooters but geeez it scared me.

We were on foot at the same property just having a walk, looking for some dog food.

My mate and myself walking about eight feet apart with my cousin walking a good distance behind us. A crazy whizzing sound followed by a shot went straight between us and we hit the deck. My dopey cousin saw a swampy and took the shot without any warning.

He never went with us again after that one.

My old man grew up shooting roos out west for many years and he has some great stories. One in particular makes us nearly wet our pants when he tells it. It involves a freezing cold night, the biggest roo he ever dropped and a noise that came from a nearby bush that scared him and my Grandpa so bad that the old boy started to actually drive off in the ute leaving my Dad to chase him on foot with the big roo over his shoulder. He tries to mimic the sound and we crack up..he describes it as a laugh, a scream and a cry all at once !!!! We have an idea of what it might have been.

He'd tell that story when my Grandpa was still alive and the old man would have tears in his eyes he'd laugh so hard.

He still tells that story to my little bloke and his eyes get wider and wider as he goes.

Hahahahaha that is absolute gold... :laugh: I have an Uncle who gets $hitfaced at family BBQ's (he's a real gun nut) then goes and puts on his shooting cap which has the flaps down the sides to take out your puerperal vision.. When he's talking to people at the table he hasto swing his head round like a wild man everytime anyone at either end of the table starts to speak in order to see them. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

i have my licence and i shoot all th time. i am looking for proerties myself. i you buy a shooting magazine in the adds at the back of it there sould be some properties advertized for you to shoot on. i think you may have to pay a small fee but they have farms all over qld, vic, and nsw for ya to shoot on.

i hope i helped.

• 3 weeks later...

obone wrote:

sehrguht wrote:

Well gave them a call now that it's been 7 weeks!

"Your application is in the queue to be assessed"

"After 7 weeks?!?"

"You have to understand we have a very high work load at the moment"

:angry:

Joel ;)

Did it finally get processed Joel.

Mine has been lodged for 11 weeks now.

Yes sir we have your application its in the queue. We are very busy at the moment.

big al wrote:

well theres hunters and shooters and the shooters are the nut cases from my experences from years gone by ;)

Sorry I have to disagree with that quote there are a lot of shooters (my ex misses for example) We shot sporting clays for years so she was a shooter but never a hunter :)

I know of plenty of shooters who never hunt ?

I'm both I enjoy shooting targets for fun But I must admit I love hunting too :woohoo:

I have also had the misfortune to have mates come out hunting who turned out to be nut cases :angry:

hope you see my point ;)

Gaz

Archived