Bass closed season starts monday!

Feral

How on earth can they ping you for specifically targetting bass in a multi-species environment ?

I dont keep any of them anyway, but there are easily 5 diff species that could latch on in the "bass" areas I fish, on the rare occasions i do fish the fresh....

yoyo wrote:

How on earth can they ping you for specifically targetting bass in a multi-species environment ?

I dont keep any of them anyway, but there are easily 5 diff species that could latch on in the "bass" areas I fish, on the rare occasions i do fish the fresh....

Yeah Yo Yo - I agree.. Has 10 tonne of grey area. I suppose the rule is just to curb the amount of people rather than rule with an iron fist. Anywhere you are a chance of a freshwater fish your really a chance of a Bass.

I dont keep any of my fish either but I suppose it interupts their breeding season.. Pretty easy to say I was fishing for Perch or Yellaz though. Would be an impossible rule to inforce.

Well I suppose with the DPI spread far and thin, like most of these rules it comes down to your personal honesty and integrity.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

yoyo wrote:

Yeah Yo Yo - I agree.. Has 10 tonne of grey area. I suppose the rule is just to curb the amount of people rather than rule with an iron fist. Anywhere you are a chance of a freshwater fish your really a chance of a Bass.

I dont keep any of my fish either but I suppose it interupts their breeding season.. Pretty easy to say I was fishing for Perch or Yellaz though. Would be an impossible rule to inforce.

From DPI website.

Why do we have closed seasons?

Closed seasons prevent people from fishing at certain times of the year to protect species at vulnerable times in their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons.

Australian bass

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma, Borumba, Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Gordonbrook, Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes.

* Contact the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) for more details of the timing of closed seasons.

There is no need to try and be a bush layer to try and circumvent the regs just please try and do the right thing if you think that bass mayy be in the waters you intend fishing in do the right thing and fish somewhere else.

Also please note that Lake Kurwongbah is NOT included in the dams where bass fishing is allowed during the closed season.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma, Borumba, Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Gordonbrook, Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes.

Does anyone know if this means the Stanley River is a no-go for bass? I'm not sure if it runs into, or out of Somerset.

jmacphee wrote:

rayke1938 wrote:

Does anyone know if this means the Stanley River is a no-go for bass? I'm not sure if it runs into, or out of Somerset.

the stanley runs into somerset i thought, so there is no chance the bass can breed as there is no brackish water for them in somerset ;) it is waterways where bass move downstream to brackish water for breeding, eg; brisbane river the bass migrate down towards colleges crossing and kookaburra park, at least i think bass need the brackish for breeding, can anyone confirm this? :)

Bass start to migrate into estuaries to breed in mid to late Winter, starting first with the northern populations and finishing with the Victorian populations. Unusually cold or dry weather may cause a delay in this migrations and some years it appears that the more mature fish do not migrate at all.

Once in the salty water the males congregate in large schools of several hundred fish. Females are not found in such large groups. Females may produce several hundred thousand eggs which are small (about 1 mm when water hardened), non-adhesive and free floating.

Newly hatched larvae are quite small, around 2.5 mm, and start to feed when about three days old. After around a month and a half, the fry begin to school up, although the schools appear to break up during feeding. Pigmentation develops at around three months of age when the fish are about 20 mm in length.

After a currently unknown amount of time in the estuary, the juvenile fish begin to migrate up into the fresh water. Juvenile bass between 25 and 50 mm in length have been found in freshwater at the end of November

Archived