Hinze Dam toga and bass 14/6/09

tacklebox

Today Kreel and I were determined to catch some bass! Our last few trips to Wivenhoe had proven fruitless and not even a masterclass from Ray at NPD last Friday could land me a bass. :(

The plan was to hit Hinze at around 7am but after a sluggish start we got there at a tardy 9am. :dry: It was our first trip to the dam and with the area near the dam wall blocked off we decided to use the dirt ramp on the western side.

I could see fish on the sounder from time to time and lots of bubbly water but they were only teasing and not interested in anything on offer.

I passed a fellow in a tinnie who said he caught a bass in a quiet little bay on a popper. Right — off to find me a quiet little bay! Found one that was nice and shady and saw a huge surface strike right in front of me. :woohoo: I tried a plastic frog...nothing. I tried a popper...nope, not interested in that either.

Then Kreel cruised past trolling a Smith Camion and calls out that he's on! "What is it?" I ask. "Not sure" was the reply. :huh: Kreel grabs the landing net. I see it first... it's a TOGA! :woohoo: :woohoo: His first one and after a few quick snaps he was released.

I quickly change over to a purple and white River2Sea baby crank which I'd pinched from Kreel's tacklebox in the morning and almost immediately hook up what feels like the tiniest fish in the world. Nevermind, a fish is a fish and a want to catch a bass on a lure. :cheer: I reel it in and just as I catch a glimpse of it, it pops off the lure. :angry: I'm calling it for a <20cm bass which I don't count because I didn't land it.

Feeling very disappointed with myself, I continue trolling and a couple of minutes later I'm on! It feels like a decent fish this time and after a couple of short runs I land a 30cm bass! :woohoo: A few pics and he's away too.

Kreel peddles on to troll the next stretch while I go back to troll the same stretch again with a different coloured baby crank on my other rod. Kreel buzzes me on the walkie talkie and tells me he's landed a little bass of around 22cm.

I pedal a bit quicker to meet up with him until my rod with the greyish baby crank goes off. Up comes another bass just shy of 28cm. Then another at 20cm on the same lure. Hey this bassin' stuff is easy! :P

We start to head back at around 1pm and I catch #4 bass bass at roughly the same spot as the others. He was only a little fella too but I don't mind. It was a fabulous day with a few firsts and we can't wait to fish Hinze again :)

Obligatory scenery shot

[br] [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1030960.jpg

post-2560-144598497566_thumb.jpg

Angus wrote:

Well done guys!

Awesome report!

Someone better nominate it!

Arent toga such an awesome looking fish in the flesh!

Angus

So true Gus, I was genuinely surprised how pretty the Toga looked, it swam away healthy but I did take a moment or 2 to perve at it.

ellicat wrote:

tacklebox wrote:

All 3 of them ! :P

Nice report TBox. Good to see that kreel beat you again too :laugh: (1 Toga = 10 bass) Just jokes...we all know that Fishing was the real winner :S :laugh:

1 toga may be worth 10 bass, but I'm still in the negatives after my 25 catfish at Wivenhoe earlier in the year.

BTW you can see why TBox catches so much - check out the size of her boat compared to mine!

Hi Robin, It was Tacklebox and my first experience at Hinze, so I can't help you with info about landbased fishing and boat hire, however you should think about the AFO Winter Camp at Hinze, there are probably boats still available and you would get some valuable info joining in.

Oh and Chris, I will neither confirm nor deny we ever smoked a bass, but I can say for sure that I never inhaled.

Archived