Recipe - Singpore Redclaw

Do$tylz

G’day All,

So I figured its time to type up a recipe on Singapore Redclaw. Thanks to Ray for taking me out a couple of weeks ago and graciously giving me all the redclaw for the day. You rock Ray ïŠ

Just to keep you in the know… my old man used to be a head chef in some Chinese restaurants around Bris, but he’s a little too old for that these days (although he won’t admit it). Now that he’s retired and stuff I only get to eat his food once in a while. Mum won’t let him in the kitchen coz apparently he makes a mess..hahahaha. Old man worked at SunnyCourt in Sunnybank from about 86 to 93. Then opened up a restaurant with my uncle at Auchenflower in 94 to 07 (my dad left that after a year, but my uncle stayed on) and then we opened up another place in Bardon for just over a year in 04.

So anyway…. this recipe is usually used for mudcrabs, kingcrabs, lobsters and Moreton Bay bugs so we had to adjust it a little to cater for the lack of natural salt occurring in the meat of the crabs etc. Also, usually we make these thick soft yellow (not rice) noodles that sit at the bottom but we didn’t have any at home…so we just stuck it on rice ïŠ I’ve tried to take some pictures to help you get a visual on what I’m trying to describe but my old man is a machine… I couldn’t keep up with helping and taking pics with my phone at the same time.

Ingredients

- Redclaw (we used maybe 2kg worth of tails and claws)

- 800ml chicken stock (we used home made stock) (can do another recipe for this if you guys want as well)

- Vegetable oil

- 1 onion (sliced)

- 2 eggs (beaten)

- Chilli oil (0.5-1 teaspoons depending on how hot you like it)

- Curry Powder (3/4 tablespoons) we used an “AYAM†branded one, red coloured can

- Corn Flour (1.5 cups)

- Oyster sauce (4 tablespoons)

- Red viniger (5 chinese soup spoons … yeah I know… its just what my dad used so I don’t know how else to reference it)

- Spring onions (finely sliced)

Git R’ Done

So we cut down the middle of the redclaw tail on the inside and cut off one half of the inside of the tail carcass. This was so it would cook easier and quicker. We also found that if you cut off the flaps of the tail right where it joins the meaty bits, it makes it much easier to eat later when its too hot to touch ïŠ And for the claws, we cut them at the join between the claw and the 2 joints of the arm so that you get 2 pieces. We then put down the side of a meat-cleaver against them and hit them with our palms so that it cracks the shells. Don’t go mashing them to a pulp, but just crack it enough so that its easy to get into later.

On the exposed meaty bits of the tails just lightly sprinkle some corn flower over them. Don’t fully coat them as this will give you a powdery finish later. You just want enough on them like you’ve lightly iced them. This will give it some crunch/crumbly texture once done.

Now, heat up a wok of oil. We’re talking HOT. Along the lines of 180-200 degrees. Don’t go dropping them all in at once, just maybe 400-500gm at a time, depending on how good your burner is at maintaining that heat. In a restaurant you can dump it all in with a turbo burner but no sane person has one of those in their homes. Be VERY careful with this. Redclaw have a lot of water in them so it will spit a lot, so have a lid at the ready to use as a shield. You only want to half cook them at this stage, just enough so that the outside has cooked but the inside is still a little raw. Put the redclaw aside once done. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06062009036_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598498072_thumb.jpg

Now for the sauce….

Before we get into cooking… you need to put the remaining corn flour into a small bowl, and add water to it. Just stir it up a bit and have enough water that the flour can fully dilute. It will settle as we cook but that’s ok. Put this to the side, we’ll use it later.

Anyway.. into a hot wok (we use the same one just tip the oil into saucepan and put into the oven for storage) you want to throw in the diced onions. Just soften them, no need to brown. Add the curry powder to this and stir a bit. Once the onions have just started to brown add the chicken stock and the spring onions. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06062009039_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598498079_thumb.jpg

Allow it to get to boil, then add the oyster sauce and a teaspoon of salt. Add a dash of the chilli oil and then the red viniger. Now is a good time to do a small taste test. It should be a tangy flavour (my mouth is seriously watering while I’m typing this). If you like it spicier… add more chilli oil. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06062009040_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598498082_thumb.jpg

Here is where you add the corn flour water mix, slowly as you stir it in (more so fold it in). This will thicken the sauce. Don’t add it all in one hit and don’t add too much, just a slow pour. You want it to be almost the same consistency as a thick type of soup, but not. Maybe like halfway there. Once thickened, add in the egg (again slowly like the corn flour) and fold it in. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06062009041_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598498085_thumb.jpg

Now add in the redclaw and fold away until cooked through.

Serve it up and lock your doors. Your neighbors will be over knocking on your door for some of this… I know mine did. We made 2 batches over 2 nights …yum.

Cheers all :) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06062009042_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598498088_thumb.jpg

eki - Love that about sunnybank.. good food till late :)

benno - haha.. dude I'll give you a buzz next time i get a bunch.

mack - man i think it'd go pretty well. Just don't add that much oyster sauce or red viniger... i find that sandies are saltier standard than other shellfish

Do$tylz wrote:

eki - Love that about sunnybank.. good food till late :)

benno - haha.. dude I'll give you a buzz next time i get a bunch.

mack - man i think it'd go pretty well. Just don't add that much oyster sauce or red viniger... i find that sandies are saltier standard than other shellfish

geez, after all i've done for you... :P sandies aren't as salty if before you cook them you soak them in fresh water for 1/2 hr. i do this when i make chilli sandcrab otherwise it turns out a little salty

yep ray... I'll get you on the 2 way as well the next time my old man makes this. I think I'll get him to make 2 or maybe 3 batches. Singapore, Garlic Butter and Ginger & Shallot...mmmm

Gus - I knew you'd like this :)

Silver_rex - let us know how you go with it if you do go ahead with it tonight. Believe me... its mouthwatering.

Keep in mind all.. this is the sorta meal you'll pay over $100 for at a chinese restaurant with just 2 mudcrabs.

Angus wrote:

Henry: I just want to ask a question about the shell.

Could you do the same recipe without the shell making eating the finsished product easier? Or is the flavour to important?

Angus

ahh... You probably could do it without the shell and the deep frying part... I've never tried it myself nor have I seen my old man do it that way. I think my old man would say that it would be missing some flavour and aroma if you don't fry it with the shell on.

Personally half the fun is gone if you take the shell away. Seriously though.. if you cut the tail flappy bits before you cook, it is VERY easy to get the meat out.

Is there a cook book?? nope. Just whatever my dad does. Is there something you are keen on to know how to cook?? Let me know and I'll see if I can get the old man to cook it up one night and I'll doco it again.

Kreel - hahaha sure.. supply the shellfish, and you can come over to mine instead :)

Oh yeah.. like I keep saying.. anyone that gets shark fins and are just gonna turf them, bring them over to mine and we'll whip up some shark fin soup ;)

Archived