Seaway trevs

Yellow Peril

went for a fish down the Gold Coast Seaway on Sat 17th. Bit of a swell running offshore and 15-20 knots of ESE, so it was a bit rough. Got there around 3 pm and started drifting some livies through the Seaway. Had some nice mullet around 10-15 cm long which I got 'en route'! No hits and I tried casting slugs around the end of the North wall as well as a big SP shad.

Headed up to Brown Is area (Currigee) around 5.30. Put a bait out for sharks and also a snaller livie for a flathead, jack or jewie. Pretty quiet. Couple of half-hearted runs on a big slab of mullet intended for a shark. Heaps of bait around on the surface though.

Headed back to the Seaway about 8 pm. Drifed livies again and I could hear and see some big smashes on the surface. Put a popper on a stradic 2500 with 2 kg mono. Got smashed on about my 5th cast and the fish ran hard and took me straight under the pipeline and rubbed me off. Picked up my 3 kg spin outfit, and I was on again about 15 minutes later. Another good fish which I had almost beaten at the boat when the hooks pulled. Few more casts and I was on again. This was the smallest fish of the three, and I pulled it up pretty quick and netted a big eye trev of 1.2 kg.

Great fun on poppers! Sorry, no photos.

Jeremy

That was my first on a popper at night. Have caught a few trevs and yellowtail kings on poppers during daylight before. It is top fun in daylight when you can see fish swiping at the popper and then taking it off the surface. It was still alot of fun but different at night. I could just see the little splashes the lure made as I worked it, and then just felt the tension as the fish takes off. One of the trevs took it as it hit the water. Took me a second to figure out I had a fish on!

Jeremy

There was 1000's of them on the Tweed while prefishing and fishing the ABT down there. I only landed 2 as we were targeting Bream (47cm Big Eye, 36cm GT).

I think it had something to do with the 99% of this years highest tide. Most of them were in the heavy current schooling and taking anything fast moving with a bit of shine to it. i.e. My Molting 2inch Shrimp :P .

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

There was 1000's of them on the Tweed while prefishing and fishing the ABT down there. I only landed 2 as we were targeting Bream (47cm Big Eye, 36cm GT).

I think it had something to do with the 99% of this years highest tide. Most of them were in the heavy current schooling and taking anything fast moving with a bit of shine to it. i.e. My Molting 2inch Shrimp :P .

Troy

Congrat's on the place in the ABT, Troy - well done:woohoo: ! How far up the Tweed were you seeing trev's?? I was there about 3 weeks ago and it was just butter bream city:( - couldn't even get a sinker to hit bottom, they were that thick:dry: ! Still, better than no fish at all, but I reckon you're right about the tidesB) .

Archived