Clontarf Flathead Session 23.07.2009

stewie

Hey guys,

Got the day off and headed to Clontarf for a wading flathead session. Started at midday and fished until 3.30pm. Conditions were perfect, with visibility in the water fantastic. First area I waded produced a lizard of 52cm. Also had fun there with a very large squid (which I thought was a flathead). It actually pulled drag (although I don't load the drag up for the flathead anyhow), but I couldn't hook it with the soft plastic. Note to self: pack a squid jig in the kit. Because of the high'ish tide, I managed to get water on the inside of my waders, which made the rest of the session a little uncomfortable. :angry:

Moved around a bit with the odd hit, but no good hook-ups. Headed to my favourite area, and got 2 flathead in 2 casts. Each around 40cm. Headed further toward the hornibook bridge and got onto a hot bite. Flicked the plastics towards the rocks and they were jumping all over them close to the rocks.

Ended up with a bag limit, but released a number more. Ended up landing over 10 fish, and a few more in dropped the plastic in close. I also have been noticing the flathead head toward my waders when they are fighting. I am obviously the only structure close. One went between my legs which proved challenging to get into the net. :P

Released a larger 60+ fish late. Already had all I needed, so it was rewarding to let it go for another day.

Last thing, and the most important to many members following the popularity of my last report ... I packed a camera. ;) It proved challenging when I had water up to the chest of the waders, but managed a few shots.

All flathead were caught on 3" Gulp Shrimp in Molten.

Have a great weekend,

Stewie. DSCF0027_AFO.jpg

Awesome session, Stewie. And great to see the pics even if they weren't needed. You are lovin those 3 inch shrimp. I've been having luck there with my 4inch lime tigers but not as much you. I might invest in a packet of those smaller buggers.

Thanks for the report as always.

Schmuck / Travis,

I'll post a photo of my wading rig next time I get out. I use a kids boogie board (plan to get an adult one at some point), with a rectangular container secured on top. I tie a rope from the standard leg rope connector on the board to the waste loop in my waders. I have a rod holder connected to the container to place my rod when I deal with the fish. I also put a bit more floatation around the boogie board edges with old soft roof rack cushions. Seems to get through some tough bow waves, even the ones that wet the inside of the waders. :P

Have a good week,

Stewie.

Archived