Started early for the Classic this year.

Feral

Righto ,picked up this baby from Ebay to use for sharks in the Classic this year. (The usual 10 stainless ball bearings, instant antireverse, aluminium spool, graphit spare spool etc etc) Cost me $14.95 plus $10 post.

It is a no name 6000 series baitrunner (spinning reel of course!) Holds 250m of 50lb mono, which should be enough to skull drag anything in. Now I just need to find a rod around the 25 to 30 kilo class to suite it. Might even go as high as $30! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1050895.jpg

post-134-144598408123_thumb.jpg

werewolf wrote:

that is awesome feral! is it new?

when you are searching on ebay, do you look at \"store\" sellers, private or both?

I have yet to be brave enough to actually bid on ebay but i'm getting tempted!

wolfman private tends to be second hand while store sellers are brand new

cheers JeffB)

mmm after some of the big runs I got last trip (the best on the piranha emptied 1/2 the spool on my 4000 series Diawia before I attempted to set the hook) I was considering buying one of those big shimano baitrunners before next season but from memory they cost around $250. If I could pick up something for a 1/5 of the price I could be very tempted... I would expect quality to be no where near as good on a no name brand reel but for 1/5 of the price I could sacrifice that on something that wouldn't see a huge amount of use (I prefer to fish light when possible) :)

Brand new, I pay using paypal, so mainly it is season sellers or ebay stores I buy from.

Just use the advanced search and type in what you are looking for. The search can be a bit stilted, so you might have to play with your wording to get what you want.

In this case the search was \"baitrunner\" \"baitfeeder\" also features, must me a yank expression.

I usually pick a top price I will pay (including postage) and start bidding (take the postage costs away from my top price, and that is my top bid). Usually have to go half a dozen auctions to get it for the price I want. Auctions that end saturday night tend to go for the lowest price.

Score!I've been trying to get a 3000 series one as well, but they are a bit more popular, total prices are running around 35 to 40, which in my mind is to much for a generic reel. I might have to bite the bullet and get an Okuma, they go for around $100.

Righto, here is the rest of the gear from my weekend Ebaying.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ebay_latest.jpg

I bought a 12kilo Rod and 5000 series reel for Alex, as a lighter shark fishing setup for the Classic (he is only 30 kilo's dripping wet, so not much use using heavier)and a 26kg rod to match that reel above for me!

I also bought a baitcaster, because I am cheap, As I was already getting the GH50, (5000 series reel) I could get the baitcaster post free. Postage for the pair was $14.95

The Rods came from the same place, (but different from the reels)also with flat postage charge regardless of how much you buy, so Postage for both of them was $9.95 total.

Specs and individual prices follow

26kg rod cost $9.47

* Length : 6'2\"/ 1.89 Metres

* Weight: 270 grams

* Major diameter base of rod : 30mm (3.0cm).

* Minor diameter tip of rod : 5mm (0.5cm).

* 2 Section Rod. Closed length : 0.96m (96cm).

* Action : 80 - 12 grams.

* Line Weight : 16-24kg.

* Guides : 5 including tip.

12kg rod cost $6.98

SPECIFICATION:

* Length : 7' 0\"/ 2.1 meters

* Weight: 240 grams

* Major diameter base of rod : 30mm (3.0cm).

* Minor diameter tip of rod : 4mm (0.4cm).

* 2 Section Rod. Closed length : 1.1m (110cm).

* Action : 40 - 60 grams.

* Line Weight : 8-12kg.

* Guides : 5 including tip.

GH50 (5000 series) reel cost $20.06

* 10 stainless steel bearings (ball bearings at 9 transmission points)

* Power roller with internal ball bearing

* Gear Ratio 4.7:1

* One way clutch

* 'Anti Backlash' system

* Dual ported machined aluminium spool

* Computer balanced vibration free rotor

* Pinpoint machined handle (can be converted for left or right hand use)

* Mirror paint on reel body

* Ergonomic rubber handle grip

* Multi-plate drag

* Easy trip bail mechanism (great for repeated casting)

* Weight : only 315g

* Line Capacity :

o 260 yards of 8lb

o 230 yards of 12lb

o 200 yards of 18lb

Baitcaster CZH40 cost $19.78

# one way clutch anti-reverse bearing,

# a rigid chrome plated brass frame,

# aluminium anodised side plates with machined aluminium spool,

# a star drag system with selective on/off bait clicker,

# a dual centrifugal and mechanical brake system,

# it features 3 ball bearings,

#

spool capacity of 200m of 12lb line.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/07 17:29

post-134-144598408302_thumb.jpg

hey feral could you let me know what that baitcaster is like when you get it. i've been eyeing them off for a while now but have allways been a bit unsure about ebay baitcasters since buying a strada v30 and finding the level wind doesn't go all the way to one side:angry:

Jeff i got a similar Baitcaster from ebay a fair while back.

It is starting to have a couple of little problems but its caught heeeaps of fish in the mean time.

Itll be a while yet before its retired.

Perfect for fishing the river because if something does happen to it its not the end of the world.

Angus

Some good buys in at kmart at the moment. Was in Victoria point store and they have an american penn spinfisher 6500 ( i Think) for $215 with the 25% off that is good buying at around $150. The penns are now made in China and are nowhere the quality of the yank ones.

Archived