okuma flame

pondo

The Okuma flames are of course Okumas answer to the Shimano Fireblood series

- ultra smooth multi disk drag

- 8 Ball bearings

- Graphite body

I have no idea if these features are standard in most reel.

I like Okuma and if I would compare them to see how good they really are bang for bucck, or just a gimmick.

What is the price tag?

cheers

fishing_hardcore wrote:

The Okuma flames are of course Okumas answer to the Shimano Fireblood series

- ultra smooth multi disk drag

- 8 Ball bearings

- Graphite body

I have no idea if these features are standard in most reel.

I like Okuma and if I would compare them to see how good they really are bang for bucck, or just a gimmick.

What is the price tag?

cheers

Mate arround 90-100 dollars. They look the goods. Havent used one beofre though.

If you can spend a little bit more I have one of these
/>http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=4284

as my bream flatty reel and am very happy with it tho I got a dawia exel.. 4500 coming for $182 is about double the $90 stated bit might be worth waiting another month to save up a little bit more for allot better reel

Edit:
/>http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=3976

here is a link to the daiwa. Ignore the price I got them down to $182 delivered

pondo wrote:

Mate arround 90-100 dollars. They look the goods. Havent used one beofre though.

I have a Shimano Fireblood 2500 and my dad bought me an okuma aquios for Christmas,

It was about 40 bucks, I looked at it and thought 'yeah right', thanked dad and put it back in its box.

Few months later I needed a reel for a new rod I bought, pulled out the Okuma and have grown quite fond of it, caught a few fish on it too (cod threadies and small sharks), its quite a nice little reel and is miles ahead of shakespear and some cheaper shimanos for quality and outright durability.

cheers

my reels cop a flogging on the kayak and I never take the good gear out in the salt on it. I won't pay more than $100 bucks for a reel thats going to be used and abused on the kayak. My fave abused reel is a $50 Okuma and its 2 years old and going strong. A 2500 size reel with 15lb braid and the drag is smooth and doesn't look like its going to fall apart any time soon. Its got a lifetime warranty too, we'll see whether it'll be honoured when the thing dies.

tomca wrote:

my reels cop a flogging on the kayak and I never take the good gear out in the salt on it. I won't pay more than $100 bucks for a reel thats going to be used and abused on the kayak. My fave abused reel is a $50 Okuma and its 2 years old and going strong. A 2500 size reel with 15lb braid and the drag is smooth and doesn't look like its going to fall apart any time soon. Its got a lifetime warranty too, we'll see whether it'll be honoured when the thing dies.

I have no problems taking higher $$$ gear out on a kayak. They usually stand up to more abuse than cheaper reels, requiring major servicings a lot less than the cheaper reels.

I'm gonna go against the trend :silly: I've used a couple of Okuma's and I reckon they have terrible durability. The screws on the sides rust no matter how much you wash and oil them and they usually rust within a few trips... In my experiences, Okuma's tend to deteriorate internally within 6 months of saltwater use.

When you start using them, they are just as smooth as Shimano and Daiwa gear, however, I wouldn't expect that to last. And at $90, I wouldn't compare it to a Fireblood. Maybe in looks, but not in performance.

I forgot to mention that I have an okuma baitrunner and I am happy with it for what I paid and it has gone though allot and it got me most of my small bullies but after 18 months I think it's shagged the shaft has allot of play witch is causing it to stack the line at the top of the spool and shakes at fast retrieve I still have the reciept I might try and take it back to bcf see what they say or take it to a shop see if they can fix it.

I agree with Cowfish.

When you pay $$$ you both see and feel the difference. I haven't felt an Okuma reel that is top quality.

You get what you pay for. Generally speaking, a top of the line reel will offer you top of the range performance. Cheap reels may start off smooth-ISH but fall to the shi%%er pretty quick - especially if you give them a hammering.

You should buy the highest quality reel you can afford. I'd rather get a cheaper rod (within reason!) to get a better reel.

yes but they want $540.00 for a twin power 2500 at BCF!!!

Admitedly it can be afforded if you save for it but if you have other commitments?

I was not comparing a Fireblood to a Okuma

I was just stating that the marketing was along those lines and he should compare

quality bang for dollar to see if they are a gimmick or not.

Maybe somone with some knowledge about internal components should put up a sticky running people through 'what to look for in a reel' i.e. bearings, drag quality, materials ect.

cheers

Terry H wrote:

I agree with Cowfish.

When you pay $$$ you both see and feel the difference. I haven't felt an Okuma reel that is top quality.

You get what you pay for. Generally speaking, a top of the line reel will offer you top of the range performance. Cheap reels may start off smooth-ISH but fall to the shi%%er pretty quick - especially if you give them a hammering.

You should buy the highest quality reel you can afford. I'd rather get a cheaper rod (within reason!) to get a better reel.

Yeah I have to agree as well.

I cant stand people that assume everyone has $500+ to spend on a reel and assume the angler is crap if they do not. I have still seen some sensational fish caught on k-mart specials!

However, I do think as people refine their skills that the best reel they can afford (with research) should be bought. This will just benefit their own personal fishing experience. Using nice gear is quite simply just nicer IMO! The reason I stress with research is just coz something is expensive it might not stack up as well against something slightly more affordable.

Forums are a good place to get good deals on nice gear with gear enthusiasts often upgrading. The good thing is as well you can often inspect the gear in this case and be assured you are buying good quality.

Back on topic. I know nothing about this Okuma Flame but have also little good experience with Okuma reels. I play with a lot at work and compared to Shimano, Daiwa (and yes im going to say it) the newer Mojiko reels even they are just a little rough feeling.

Angus

The flames looked nice. Saw one with Gus at the bait and tackle shop on the Goldy the other week. Picked it up and had a look but that was about it.

If thats a reel you wanna buy I'm sure it will suit your needs, and just prolong its life by looking after it well. For $100 though, if you wait and keep your eye out you may find a 2nd hand higher quality reel for sale on this forum or on others.

Archived