what is the best lure knot

Joel Eadie

If it has a ring on it, a standard locked blood knot is pretty good, if it doesn't have a ring you'll need to pick one of the loop knots. I like the rapala knot myself, but there are a few good uns, just depends on what you can teach you fingers to tie without looking (so you can tie em on in the dark)

A standard loop knot is quite strong. You may want to look a little deeper as to why the lure was taken. Have you set your drag to suit the line? A drag which is set too high can make a lure vanish real quick. Is the leader up to the task? make sure the leader is in good condition, any scuffs are potential weak points. Also make sure the leader is strong enough for the fish and the area you'll be fishing. Did you lubricate the knot before pulling it down snug ?

When you tie your knot make sure you test it by applying pressure...don't tug on the lure too hard as this will just snap with lighter lines. Steady firm pressure is all that's needed.

Sometimes it just happens. I had a bass steal an SX48 a week ago. I'd caught 11 bass ...made another cast, the fish hit,( not a particularly big hit ) was on for a second and POP !!! lure gone. I got the poops and went home then. I'm fairly certain it happened because I didn't check my fairly light leader between fish, gill plates on a bass are very sharp !!!

One other thing I do is to leave a slightly longer tag end when I tie a loop. Around 7mm...if the knot slips I have a chance of seeing it going.

Sorry for the long winded post but I know how annoying it is when an expensive lure disappears. Especially something as effective as a Chubby !

i have been using small clips with a swivel .

just so i can change lures fast .but don't think there any good to use with small jigheads.

now after reading this thread i have learned something .

i was doing a loop knot with all of them ,when i only needed to do it for no ring types .

so for jugheads it would be a loop know ?

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

just so i can change lures fast .but don't think there any good to use with small jigheads.

i was doing a loop knot with all of them ,when i only needed to do it for no ring types .

Davo for lighter leaders up to 8 to 10 kg locked half blood knot is fine.

For heavier/stiffer leaders loop knot is better.

Regs Steve.

A Loop knot ofn a ring can cause problems Davo, as it can rotate, often the edge of the wire on the rings can be quite sharp and damage the loop knot.

I am also a bit sus about them on normal knots as well, but the likelihood of damage is a lot less. However if the ring is removable from the lure I remove them and use loop knots.

elops wrote:

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

Davo for lighter leaders up to 8 to 10 kg locked half blood knot is fine.

For heavier/stiffer leaders loop knot is better.

Regs Steve.

This reply is refering to connecting jigheads only Davo.

Regs Steve.

Feral wrote:

A Loop knot ofn a ring can cause problems Davo, as it can rotate, often the edge of the wire on the rings can be quite sharp and damage the loop knot.

I am also a bit sus about them on normal knots as well, but the likelihood of damage is a lot less. However if the ring is removable from the lure I remove them and use loop knots.

The oval shaped rings as fitted to Jackels overcomes this problem but they are hard to source. For heavy applications hawaian snaps are very good in place of the tow ring I use these as you can use a knot which has a greater breaking strength than a loop knot.

eg.I use a #1 or #2 hawaian snap on TN70 in place of standard ring for mulloway on heavy gear. this also gives me an oval ring to use on other hardbodies.

Regs Steve.

a certain fishing store sells thos lure clips for $8.00 for a pack of 5 :ohmy:

talk about robbery , also if you buy the clips beware the small roundheads if you have mans fingers they are almost impossible to undo, I buy the standaard ones, IMO the action is not noticably affected.

Or else I use a surgeons knot only tied knotted once not twice.

Can't say I have caught any whoppers on it yet so havn't really put it to the test to be able to recomend it.

I used to use a uni until the same thing happened to me, I got smoked in about 1 second the knot came loose.

cheers

hehe saw my spelling .can tell i hadn't finished my first morning coffee yet

kewl elops the jighead is what i was asking about .

this thread clears a few things up for me.

as i was using loop knots and locked blood knot on jigheads ,ring's and solid tow points.

and the swivel clips .

in no particular way or order .just trying different stuff .

with all sorts of stuff ups happening .

lose lures sp's and hb's all over the place for no good reason ,swimming wrong etc .

this kind of info take the trial and error out of it a bit :)

fishing_hardcore wrote:

a certain fishing store sells thos lure clips for $8.00 for a pack of 5 :ohmy:

talk about robbery , also if you buy the clips beware the small roundheads if you have mans fingers they are almost impossible to undo, I buy the standaard ones, IMO the action is not noticably affected.

Or else I use a surgeons knot only tied knotted once not twice.

Can't say I have caught any whoppers on it yet so havn't really put it to the test to be able to recomend it.

I used to use a uni until the same thing happened to me, I got smoked in about 1 second the knot came loose.

cheers

i got these ones cheap as .

bit hard to use as the really small .

but there is always pliers if the finders can't do it .

clips.jpg

Yes that is the style I buy, but without the swivel, I will lookout for that brand (Wilson) in future.

The roundheads have a rounded clip which makes the whole clip shorter and harder to open.

It is meant to improve lure action but I can't see it myself, not even on a little SX40.

I found the roundheads were rated to a lower lb class for their size while the other

ones would be 40lb while the round heads were 20lb.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived