Newbie here, tips and advice most welcomed :)

reefbreak

hi

firstly i would like to say a big hello, im new to the forum and indeed will be in the Brisbane area (St lucia) from dec-april. Im moving over from the UK where i do a large amount of artificial lure fishing for Pike and Perch a.k.a Redfin.

I will be within castnig distance of the brisbane river so need as much advice as possible so that i bring the correct tackle over as with only 20kgs of luggage allowed i cant afford to make a mistake.

So any information and tips would be great.

thanks

p.s. i am also going to "reward" myself with a deep sea charter and i would love to try my hand at cathing trevally's, is this something that can be done in Brisbane or do i need to go further north...Thanks again

thanks for that

any info on good charters in the area that i could get look into or indeed party boats (in the Uk (just incase it is different in Oz) a party boat is one where there are like anywhere from 6-20 people on board each with a rod/reel etc normally going for bottom/reef species)

thanks again

Hey Reef Break

If you are doing the majority of your fishing in the Brisbane river from the land, rod wise you can use anything from a ultra light rod to a medium heavy casting setup.

I personally use a medium setup 2 piece spinning rod, with 20lb braid and depending what I fish for between 12lb - 40lb leader with a daiwa exceller 3000 spinning reel.

Looking to get a lighter setup too (always nice to have options :) )

Lots of Bream in the river which are fun to catch on a light setup. Or you can target Threadfin which require a heavier setup. Either way there are plenty of fishing stores here where you can update or upgrade your gear to suit your needs of the river.

The only charter I have done here is up at Hamilton Island on the GBR where we targeted Spanish Mackeral and Giant Trevally's. Massive fighters those GT's. Well worth a trip up to the Island and a great tourist destination.

There are closer venues to Brisbane but thats the one I did ;)

ok some that i know of in the brizzy area are

john gooding, "outlaw charters" has a new 760 haines with twin 150 hondas, soon to be replaced with an identicle rig, normally fishes 4 ppl

"john palermo fishing charters" this guy knows snapper prob like no one else in south east queensland, and he ha s a party boat!

the list is long but these 2 lads really know their stuff, and will try their best for a feed if you seem to know what your doing, as they are charter boat operators , not baby sitters.

robbo.

i can vouch for 'outlaw charters' john gooding is a good operatornoname wrote:

ok some that i know of in the brizzy area are

john gooding, "outlaw charters" has a new 760 haines with twin 150 hondas, soon to be replaced with an identicle rig, normally fishes 4 ppl

"john palermo fishing charters" this guy knows snapper prob like no one else in south east queensland, and he ha s a party boat!

the list is long but these 2 lads really know their stuff, and will try their best for a feed if you seem to know what your doing, as they are charter boat operators , not baby sitters.

robbo.

reefbreak wrote:

hi

firstly i would like to say a big hello, im new to the forum and indeed will be in the Brisbane area (St lucia) from dec-april. Im moving over from the UK where i do a large amount of artificial lure fishing for Pike and Perch a.k.a Redfin.

I will be within castnig distance of the brisbane river so need as much advice as possible so that i bring the correct tackle over as with only 20kgs of luggage allowed i cant afford to make a mistake.

So any information and tips would be great.

thanks

p.s. i am also going to "reward" myself with a deep sea charter and i would love to try my hand at cathing trevally's, is this something that can be done in Brisbane or do i need to go further north...Thanks again

hi mate. drop me a PM when you arrive in brissie. Happywally and myself are in St Lucia. love fishing this part of the river. nothing beats the views and the surprises that this part of the river gives up every now and then.

current runs very fast in this part of the river, so for baitfishing i'd advise something that can hold 3 ounces plus your bait easily. most of the fishing is done off pontoons and clearings along the bank.

Lure wise, we get heaps of bream and flatties most days, and when it's winter and the grass dies, we get acceess to threadies and jew at some parts of the river.

you'll get all the species that the river can offer you - bream, cod etc etc. when the prawns are running we get good hauls as well..

firstly thanks for all the information and offers of help it is really great :). always a bit scary fishing a new place and often very easy to blank/skunk.

Well im trying to find out if i can bring my rod/rods over as a "personal item" on singapore airlines, think that will be a negative ghost rider and i will just be able to bring my reels/lures. Stupid 20kg luggage limit :( So i may have to pick up some rods over your way when i arrive. But then thats what "emergency money" is for and i will be rodded up in no time (any good bait shops that wont do a newbie over??) and then sell them/give them away when i leave.

reel wise i will be taking a shimano 8010 baitrunner and shimano big bait runner long cast for the bigger fish / heavy lures / bottom fishing

for the smalller stuff i have one of these

/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbassprojohnnymorrisreel.html

picked it up in america while over there a few yrs ago, really nice piece of equipment and never had a problem with it. Have thrown everything from small jigs to oversized swimbaits on it with no problems yet and use it pretty much for all my lure fishing the two shimano's i use for "bait" fishing.

I will check out those charters tugger and noname, i have heard good things about them along with a guy called smithy who i looked into yesterday. However after a careful look flights to Hamilton islant arent as expenisve as i feared so might do an "adian" and go up there to treat myself..now better start looking into that as no doubt charters get booked up early.

Will send you a pm when i get to brisbane kiara as i would prefer not to end up bull shark food and any advice would be great.

Oh im so excited i think im going to wet myself

tight lines

D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived