Spearfishing

Cowfish13

Does not really do anything for me, when I was young and stupid, went powerheading for sharks a few times (which is why I dont swim in surf anymore, I saw what was in the gutters underneath the swimmers), but thats about it.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/22 19:24

My dad used to do it a lot off coolum and get good feeds of crays. I would certainly consider this.

I dont think there is a problem at all with it, as long as people are responsible. Its not easy to spear a fish so i dont think the angler/hunter has any edge.

Angus

I used to be into spearfishing and really enjoyed it. Its probably not the safest activity shark wise.

Like a few people mentioned its way harder to spear a fish than to catch one on rod & reel. For starters unless you can hold your breath for a long time (the longer over a minute the better) you won't catch crap.

Also spearfishing has the added benefit of not killing or injuring undersized fish that swallow a hook.

Used to spear at Amity Pt. and there were some great fish there. Nearly everytime you got something, within 20 sesonds there would be a few massive wobegongs coming in to have a look and sometimes to steal your fish:ohmy:

Used to ocasionally go in at night too. That was pretty crazy and scary. All you could see was about 2m in front of you from the light cast by a torch in a plastic bag. All around and under you was pitch black. It would scare the shit out of me when the whole bottom moved when a wobegong underneath me took off.

At night it was easy to fill a bucket with lobster, octopus and other fish.

dhess that is absoloutley rediculous, i cant believe anyone has the balls to do something like that!!!! i would so seriously have a heart attack. done a heap of dives at amity and fed the wobbegongs, the place is crawling with them, but to go at night man, far out hats of to u, its a privilage to be talking to u, cant believe u havnt been eaten lol

when i was alot younger i was a mad keen spearfisherman,got my first speargun for my 12th birthday. favourite place was around cook island off fingal head. myself and a few mates would paddle old mallibu surfboards out there with all our gear on them and go hunting schnapper and parrot fish. we regularly lost fish to sharks or got chased up onto the island by them.

i've spearfished all the close reefs and headlands off northern NSW and southern QLD over the years hunting mostly pelagic species. i've jumped over the side of the bout with a speargun into a school of mahi mahi out on the continental shelf.nearly got drowned by a cobia i speared on palm beach reef.

been spearfishing at night in currumbin and tallebudgera creeks and the tweed river with a well sealed spot light attached to a car battery in a blow up boat tied to my weight belt, hairy and every shaddow is an adrenalin rush.

ask me to show you the scar on my leg from my best mate spearing me in murky water on kirra reef one morning, he thought i was a cobia!!!

so no i've got nothing against spearfishing except for idiots that spear things that dont move, like cod, groper, big flatties etc.

i'm a catch and release fisherman primarily- i don't think that it's necessary to kill fish to enjoy catching them and you don't really get the non-lethal option when you spear fish. don't get me wrong- i'm sure plenty of people really need all the fish that they catch and kill, but it seems a shame not to let them live to fight another day. so that's why spear fishing isn't for me. oh, and next time one of you goes spear fishing tie a big hook to your back- a kicking human with a struggling, dying fish must make one hell of a live bait...

dhess wrote:

Also spearfishing has the added benefit of not killing or injuring undersized fish that swallow a hook.

na you just impale thm with a spear lol

i bloke i worked with said his was down at atkinson crossing at wivenhoe and some dude was spear fishing bass this was like 10 years ago and apparently he had more than his fair share but that is with anyone type of fishing and thats what it is just another type of fishing

personally i wont be doing it anytime soon and all the best to people who do it responsibly and follow bag limits cause once you catch your bag thats the end of the day you just get to snorkell now

Oztrav wrote:

dhess wrote:

na you just impale thm with a spear lol

i bloke i worked with said his was down at atkinson crossing at wivenhoe and some dude was spear fishing bass this was like 10 years ago and apparently he had more than his fair share but that is with anyone type of fishing and thats what it is just another type of fishing

personally i wont be doing it anytime soon and all the best to people who do it responsibly and follow bag limits cause once you catch your bag thats the end of the day you just get to snorkell now

spearfishing is totally 100% illeagle in freshwater and has been since the 1950s so what he was doing was wrong wrong wrong it's cretins like that that give it a bad name:angry:

Archived