Mud Island Mothership Trip 16 &17/01/10

benno573

Hi all,

The old man and I decided to utilise all boats available this weekend and use the good ship rebel-t as the world's biggest tender to the more ship like 11.5m yacht petrel. The plan was to use the yacht as a mothership and fish from rebel-t around mud island all weekend! wicked cool!

This plan saw us leave manly at about 9am saturday morning, me being in the speedier vessel I headed off across a glassy moreton bay, dropped the crab pots in and anchored up on a little patch of rubble and wire weed which was just near our proposed anchorage for the weekend. first cast i was on to a legal tuskfish, great start! then the usual undersized squire and sweetlip prevailed for a while so i went over to petrel for a bite to eat and to restock the esky for the afternoon fishing.

old man and i headed away in rebel-t, picking a spot sheltered from the NE seabreeze. on the first cast i picked up another tuskfish at 35cm, followed shortly by a grassy of 34cm. yee ha! old man wasn't getting any love so i decided to unleash the big guns and head to my best spot around mud, stopping on the way of course to collect cheese and crackers, beer and a sneaky bourbon from the mothership. i like this game! ;)

from 3pm - 7pm the fishing was insane... probably the best bay session i have ever had. our overnight esky tally ended up at 8 grassys :woohoo: , 34cm - 39cm, a 41cm squire and the two tuskfish. i collected the arsiest capture ever award, having a school mackeral at 55cm smash a small piece of squid :blink: as i was retrieving to re-bait! he was a welcome addition to the esky after a few tense moment boatside. :woohoo: after an awesome sunset it was time to head back to the yacht for the night.

the night saw me float out two shark baits for one run but no hookups... :( next time!

i was up at the crack of dawn and headed away in the "tender" to fish the dawn session. quickly, i had a 36cm squire in the boat and then got abolutely smashed by something that i couldn't hold on 14lb line. it hit a whole unweighted pille, my guess would be the big brother to the guy i had just landed... bugger! while i was re-rigging, my other rod went off and i added another grassy to the esky.

things went quiet as soon as the sun came up and two clowns anchored withing 30m of me... :angry: i hate that... so i went back for a bacon and egg breakfast. the wind was getting up a lot earlier than predicted which was annoying as the good spots were unfishable for the majority of the morning. once is swung around a bit i went back to the same spot that had fired the previous afternoon. unfortunately, lightning doesn't strike twice and the fishing was very quiet. the old man got a surprise when a 26cm diver whiting appeared on the end of his line, i wanted it for a livie but he said dinner so that argument was over before it began :huh: . he then hooked a small school mackeral of about 45cm, his first mackeral in the bay. :woohoo:

we then hooked rebel-t up to the yacht and towed it back to manly, a lovely cruisy trip home, listening to the cricket and having a quiet beer.

bloody awesome weekend all round, great fish to boot!

cheers for reading,

benno

p.s. sorry for all the "after" shots, i don't like using my camera with "fishy" hands... :blush: IMG_0139_AFO.jpg

the catch...

IMG_0008_AFO-20100117.jpg

first tusky

IMG_0138_AFO.jpg

sunset with "nuculer, it's pronounced nuculer" cloud

IMG_0142_AFO.jpg

Awesome colours on tusky tail

IMG_0141_AFO.jpg

Ready for "surgery", note shiny new Xmas presents! :woohoo:

IMG_0144_AFO.jpg

just for tacklebox... :kiss:

dhess wrote:

Good stuff Benno.

How do you find the global fillet knife?

I have heaps of their kitchen knives and have been really impressed. Thinking about getting a fillet knife.

it is awesome. I filleted 15 fish yesterday and it will still shave hairs off my arm. Highly rate it.

kreel wrote:

How come I never get invited to one of these trips? ;)

Great trip, great report. Just think how impressive it will be next time with Petrel towing Rebel T towing Jinx towing Mao! :woohoo:

the offer was there... ;)

and sparkle, I was happy, pissed and getting pisseder... I had to call someone!!! :kiss:

Mothership ?...you mean Fathership :P :laugh:

Great weekend Benno. A bit better fishing than the few whiting I managed in the Passage.

I reckon your dad's whiting would have looked better as a livie too.....seems out of place in the pic :laugh:

You'll need to be looking out for a cerebral haemorrhage after eating all that fish. :dry:

benno573 wrote:

Ellicat... Is this your way of saying I should give you some to help share the load so I don't get cerebral haemorage? It won't work. Your whole compain and argument is a sham and you smell bad for trying.

No, no, Benno (that rhymes hehe). Eskimos suffer a higher rate of cerebral haemorrhage than any other group - purportedly due to their high fish diet. --- you know - too much of a good thing...yada yada yada.

I'm sure I'll manage without your leftovers :P :laugh:

That's your trivia for today.

PS compain ?...campaign ??

ellicat wrote:

benno573 wrote:
Ellicat... Is this your way of saying I should give you some to help share the load so I don't get cerebral haemorage? It won't work. Your whole compain and argument is a sham and you smell bad for trying.

No, no, Benno (that rhymes hehe). Eskimos suffer a higher rate of cerebral haemorrhage than any other group - purportedly due to their high fish diet. --- you know - too much of a good thing...yada yada yada.

I'm sure I'll manage without your leftovers :P :laugh:

That's your trivia for today.

PS compain ?...campaign ??

so what... Typing on iPhone at work I missed a letter. Eskimos eat nothing but fish since streets tool Eskimo pies out of the range... Or as is my understanding. I had potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini and brocholi with mine tonight.

Archived