Harry Atkinson Artifical Reef

AZZA

Just picked this up from another site and thought I would pass it on

The 25mtr Tiwi Pearl will be sunk ( weather permiting ) on Sunday 14th March at 09.00hrs.

There is a 250mtr exclusion / safety zone in place.

Area in Moreton Bay known as Harry Atkinson Artifical Reef.

This vessel will be a part of an ongoing artificial reef system planned for this specific area.

a lot of the structure in the bay is very busy on the weekends sneeking out on a week night is the go if u can get the time

mark

ipk18 wrote:

i was out there today they were setting up marking out the area on the northen westen end i just hate to think whay the sunday carpark will be like once done

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/12/2844498.htm?section=business

"A former fishing boat that will form part of an artificial reef in Moreton Bay in south-east Queensland has been sunk two days earlier than planned.

The 'Tiwi Pearl' was supposed to be flooded near St Helena Island on Sunday morning.

Instead, it was moved five kilometres to its planned position and scuppered on Friday afternoon to make an artificial reef for fishing.

Minister for Climate Change and Sustainability Kate Jones says it was the safest option.

"Once it had broken two of its four moorings, the decision was made that it was taking water, and the safest and best option was to take it to its new home at Harry Atkinson Reef," she said.

"This is something that the recreational fishing industry wanted," she said.

"We agreed to deliver six artificial reefs across Moreton Bay and the sinking of the Tiwi Pearl will be the first of those." taken from the ABC news website today

Archived