Soudner for Kayak

Terry H

Hey Hey guys!

Looking at getting a new soudner for my kayak.

Thinking along the lines of this:

Lowrance Elite-5x Colour FishFinder

This one has a combo model, however I don't really need the GPS has I do have a handheld GPS, so the extra cost doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially on the kayak. But I do like the big screen!

Any thoughts?

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Regards,

elops wrote:

The combo is very handy you can split the screen and mark waypoints,use the trails for drifts ,trolling runs ect. And its right there in front of you no mucking around with the hand held.

I've got a RAM mount for my GPS. Only issue is its on a large ball system, and my sounder mount is on a small ball. My yak has a small ball installed on it.

I was thinkin I might get someone to knock up a plate of metal so I can attach the sounder and GPS mounts to this plate, and attach that to my mount on the kayak. Much like Lee used to on his adventure. Ie the GPS (handheld) sits right next to the sounder.

From my experience I would go for the Lowrance or a Humminbird. The main difference I have found is they have much better target seperation. Makes it much easier to tell the difference between fish and interference or sediment. Not really something you notice until you have used a better quality sounder.

From my quick look around, the Lowrance Elite 5x looks to be good value at around $600. Or if you do a bit of leg work around the local boat dealers there are a few old stock Eagle (rebranded lowrance sounders) Fish Elite going fairly cheap.

I had a HB 777 in my tinny and it was fantastic although a bit more expensive (778 is the current model at $897rrp).

Archived