Wivenhoe Dam Report

fisherjack1394

Hey guys sorry about the late report but i only got a chance to do it now. So last Friday afternoon me and Dan25 headed over to Wivenhoe Dam for a yak fish. we got to the dam around 4:30 but dident get out on the water that night.

Day 1. Saterday 17th April

My alarm sounded at 4am and both me and dan were eager to get out on the water and try for our first Wivenhoe Dam bass. it was still dark untill about 5:30 and as soon as we could be hit the water. trolling HB's and flicking spinnerbaits we where not getting any touches.

Picture001.jpg

we headed back to camp at around 8:30 for some sausages on bread. Yum. :laugh: After eating we headed back out onto the open waters, and decided to try some different spots. dan knew a spot that he had caught catties there before so we headed there first. after a good half hour paddle i got my first look at the spot that was going to produce all of our bass. GREAT LOOKING SPOT was the first thing I thought. So we trolled and trolled and flicked and flicked without a touch.

Dan was just considering leaving for another spot when Bang zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I'm on I'm on. Yes finnaly a fish. I went over to witness dan netting a nice 40cm bass his PB. we after this bit of exitement i had to get into the action to :laugh: I was determined to get a bass aswell and it seemed as though my casting rate was getting higher every minut trying to get a fish.

when finally on the troll zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Yes got him Dan Dan i'v got him. dan came over to see me mistake a snage for a fish. ohhh :( I finaly got the lure of the snage when BANG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes i got him this time :laugh: And after a few good runs i also ohad a nice bass of 39cm to the yak. :)

Picture006.jpg

finnaly on the board. well we went probly 6 hours without a touch when yep on the troll i got another one going about 35cm. following this bass i caught a nice little cattie and then we made for a hard yak back to camp.

Picture013.jpg

Day 2. Sunday 18th April

We awoke to the sound of the birds at around 6am very tired boys. But we where still motivated to catch some more bass. ;) So we set out and headed for the same spot that we had fished the previouse day. we got there and as we approced i droped my lure down for the first troll of the morning. about 20sec after putting the lure in the water. Bang zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hahahahahahahaha Dan Dan got him first cast hahahaha. and yes another nice 35cm bass came to the net.

Picture014.jpg

Well after releasing the fish i was quick to put my lure in the water, and as it turned out that was a smat move. about 30m from where i caught the first one i got another nice hit and pulled another 35cm bass to the net. screaming yes we've hit a school we got it off the hooks quickly and got a photo and then got our lures back into the water.

Picture019.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Sadly the small school of bass that i belive that we hit had moved on and we did not have anymore luck for about 2 hours when dan snaged another 30-35cm bass. after this the local bass comp was kind of invading our little secret spot so we packed up and headed home.

I just wanted to say thanks to dan for the use of his Yak and also for all the great bood he supplied. Ohhhh and dan never let me cook the snags again those burnt ones tasted horible :laugh:

cheers jacko

Archived