Darwin 5th - 15th May 2007

werewolf

Woohoo I'm soon off on a sortie to Darwin. Okay so my folks think that I will be staying with them for a catch up, but I'm sure the regulars on here know me better than that;)

Has anyone on here had any experience fishing in or around Darwin? Any charters to recommend?

Also, its common knowledge that our local river sharking shuts down during the cooler months. Could anyone comment on whether there would be any bities hanging around Darwin in May??? I wanna know whether its worth taking some shark rigs with meB)

Ware.Wolf ;I dont want to put to much of a dampner on your trip,BUT I was talking to my daughter last nite, and she says that fishing has shut down in DARWIN at the moment.Due to all the flood water still arround . Also there is alot of charter people up that way ,for day trips in close.She is hoping to go on one ASAP.

Might be OK when you go in May ,Thats a couple of weeks to get rid of some more fresh.

Have a good trip,I wish I could come too.

thx for the info guys. Yeah I'm sure hoping that the water has settled down a bit by then! Hey Chip I had a look for this Jetty and I found two reasonable sized ones (pics below). Which one were you fishing off, if I've even found the correct one lol.

Jetty \"1\"

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2007/04/16 12:33

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2007/04/16 12:35

post-125-144598411756_thumb.jpg

Werewolf,

If your chasin Barra, your timing couldn't be better. The after Wet run-off is the best time to for big Barra.

Sorry I can't help with exact names but, grab a good guide ( pretty pricey though ) and they should be able to put you into some top barra action.

Lozzel is spot on, the pelagics in close go off the boil at this time of the year, unless you want to get on a charter that will take you out of the harbour or even out to the trench.

If you can't get on a charter, then as suggested head down to some of the jetty's ( access is varied ) or the rock walls at some of the marina's and hang on.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I've been getting a few reports back from the old man who is in the Kakadu area. He went out on a charter and they landed 1 tarpon and 17 barra between them!!! The barra they landed were only small in the 50 odd cm range but they lost a few bigger ones!! They also had stacks of hits and lost a fair few more to jumping! The guide reckons over the next few weeks there will be some bigger fish pushing up the river and we are all booked in again on the same charter on the 12th!! woohoo!! I have yet to catch a barra!

ps - the old man reckons there is a croc pretty much everywhere you look!!!!

Well I'm 2/3 packed now (ie 2/3 of bag is fishing gear, the rest is allocated for the non important stuff!) but was nearly in tears looking at how much gear I had to leave behind lol. Also very dissapointed that the crimp tool I had purchased to handle my 120 pound traces was a dude (more detail in the appropriate wire trace thread). So unless I can pick up something to handle 120 in Darwin I will be sharking with whats left over from last season, 50....

But yeah the old man scoffed when I asked him to scout out a shark possie for me lol. Hopefully between the barra fishing I will get a least one shark trip in lol!

I better go get teh rest of my gear ready so I can take a breather before my red-eye flight doh :blink:

Hopefully I will have some GREAT stories when I get back and no bits missing from the crocs:sick:

Werewolf,

Have a good trip. Looking forward to the reports - surely you can log on in Darwin somewhere.

Late 80' or early 90's had a friend pull in a croc when shark fishing from the beach up there somewhere.

I reckon you're in for a memorable excursion

Cheers.

hey kids greetings from Darwin!!!

so far only 1 fishing trip (slack I know) but hey it was a ripper. I caught an absolute horse of a Black Jew on my first bait but unfortuently this stupid net kiosk won't let me attach pics so that will have to wait untill I get home:( Don't worry you will get all dirty details when I get back lol.

On wednesday we are doing a day trip from boat with a friend fishing the Adelaide River so hopefully I should get my first barra woohoo!!! Failing that we still have our barra charter booked on Saturday in Yellow Waters. so hopefully we won't strike out there lol.

catchyas!!!!

Well my NT experience is fast approaching the end, but boy have I seen some sights!!! We only got in 3 serious (yes sad I know:pinch:) fishing trips of which two at least was successful!!! The first was the jew, the second was fishing the creeks around Darwin habour with a local and we got absolutely skunked. There was no bait, no surface action and no hits or follows :sick:

Yesterday we drove to Cooinda (in the middle of Kakadu) and stayed the night at the resort in prep for this morning's barra charter. We had an absolute ball on the barra!!! Not much size to most of them but we had a few encounters with much bigger fish! We kept our one keeper that my old man got so we will be having fresh barra for his bday dinner tonight!!!! It was his first legal barra so he was stoked. I got my first barra today and so did Mum! We ended up boating 20 between us:woohoo:

I was orginally planning on going on another charter out from Darwin early this week but reports from everyone that we have spoken to around the place has been pretty bleak! I think I will save my dosh I have spent heaps allready:whistle: Regardless I have had a fantastic time, caught up with my folks who I haven't seen in months, saw 23 wild crocs, had a ball with little barra and caught a stonker jew. Expect some juicy reports when I get back midweek:P

catchyas! WWolfB)

Archived