Bay Action

francomas777

Wednesday 5th May 2010

Left pinkenba boat ramp at 4am heading to some spots around Moreton as it was such a good day today, hoping to get some nice reefies on plastics and maybe a have abit of fun if the tuna were around.

Setups i brought with me was: Steez 2508 spooled with varivas 20lb sea bass pe onto a 8-16lb Loomis Mossyback. Zillion HLC with 30lb Sunline Super PE onto a Loomis Heavy Baitcast. Ran 30lb Leader on the Steez and 40lb on the Zillion

Head straight to the wrecks and sounded out some good structure around 2km out from the wrecks.

No reefies apart from a couple dickehead fish and some small snapper.

After a while of trying with the plastics we started to see some tuna bust around us on the surface. These are some of the specimans caught

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

P5050151int.jpg

P5050152int.jpg

P5050153int.jpg

After some fun we decided to head home.

On the way home i spotted some birds and some big splashes so i was straight over there and to my suprise there were around 10 bull sharks 8ft and bigger smashing bait on top of the water. As i moved closer i realised there were some big tuna and spanish mackeral all underneath them.

First cast hooked up straight away and got bitten through in a matter of seconds.

Michael casted his lure and he was spooled within 10 seconds.

Next cast bitten through again.

Next cast bitten through again. (we had no wire)

Finally i hooked this guy on my Zillion nearly had me spooled but did the chase and 30 mins later this big boy came up.. Guessing the fish was around 20kg.

Hope you like the pics.

All fish were caught on Raider Slugs between the 20 and 40 size.

P5050155.jpg

dassa wrote:

nice day on the water boys and how much fun are they to catch what do you think bit you of sharks or the spanards and what size is you boat

yer mate so much fun to catch. definatly was the spaniards cutting us off we could pretty much see them take our lures and do the runner on us.

should have thrown a big popper if i had my GT setup and tried for one of those big bullys :)

Do$tylz wrote:

WOW... that longy is frikkin sweet as. How much line did you have on that Zillion??

not much at all probably bout 120m im guessing it pretty much spooled me then i pinned it towards him recovered a fair bit of line and was back into him. one of the best fights ive had in a while

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Well done man! That last one is a beast! He'd have bin a bastard to pull outta his broadsided circles. Tuna for dinner for the rest of the year? :P

cheers, haha yer had to pretty much thumb him when he was closer to the boat just to get him up to the surface

Awesome tuna there Franco - congrats. Out of curiousity, are the tuna around the bay in reasonable numbers all year round or are there recognised 'seasons'? I've just got a 14ft tinny so plan to fish alot more near the mouth and the bay (when conditions allow) and have done most of my fishing near Mackay, so trying to adjust to the different seasons.

kmcrosby78 wrote:

Awesome tuna there Franco - congrats. Out of curiousity, are the tuna around the bay in reasonable numbers all year round or are there recognised 'seasons'? I've just got a 14ft tinny so plan to fish alot more near the mouth and the bay (when conditions allow) and have done most of my fishing near Mackay, so trying to adjust to the different seasons.

not too sure mate ive seen them all year round but when i come to think about it they seem to come on abit thicker when it is cooling down after a summer.

14ft tinny is all you need :)

cheers

Death Ray wrote:

I don't understand the need for the rod in the mouth stuff???

Good fish also.

Very common tactic to show off the gear used.

When using really nice gear like this bith in quality and gauge vs the fish its good to know whats being used! For example that Tuna on the BC combo is sweeeeeeeeet.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Death Ray wrote:
I don't understand the need for the rod in the mouth stuff???

Good fish also.

Very common tactic to show off the gear used.

When using really nice gear like this bith in quality and gauge vs the fish its good to know whats being used! For example that Tuna on the BC combo is sweeeeeeeeet.

Angus

Thanks, so it's really just showing off toys of the day then. That's Ok, if that's what your in to I suppose. Fishing for me is about more than that.

Still good fish also.

Archived