Does RP7 ruin fishing line?

I don't think a bit of overspray will hurt. It hasn't noticeably affected my (mono) lines. The scent may be a fish deterrent possibly.

Doesn't taste the best when your biting off the tag or lubing for a knot though.

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/04/17 09:38

Mate dont spray RP7 or anything like that on ya line..

Not only does the smell deter fish from biting, do you really want to lose that fish of a life time to deteriorating line that you recently sprayed?

Just take the spool of the reel and give it a wash in some fresh clean water and pat dry and as for the reel now u can clean then spray and pat dry then put it back together..Now the reel should feel and look new..

When i lived in sydney dad and i did alot of tailor fishing and every weekend dad would out fish everyone people would move in on his spot but still no luck the fish just seemed to follow him wherever he went. everyone wanted to know his secret because everyone basically had the same setup and bait.

There was only one thing dad did different, the night before every fishing trip he would spray wp40 on his line. anyway he told one of the old guys who had been fishing there for years and of course he didnt believe it. Anyway the guy tried it aswell and the next week was catching just as many tailor as dad, while everyone else just stood there watching dad and this old fella catch fish after fish;)

i've heard storys like troy-79s from alot of old blokes who spray it all over thier alveys line and all,

in 1999 i spilled a four liter bottle of crc into a box containing dozens of spools of line, mostly penn 10x and berkley trilene, and it did no harm what so ever, i'm still using most of that line now and it's as good as the day i bought it.

They acctually banned WD40 in The States in some Bass comps as it contains fish oil. So it may be a good thing but I'm not 100% sure.

But all lines do absorb moisture. Even Monofilament and Fluorocarbon. Braids also absorb it but it doesn't always effect its strength. Mono and Fluoro do absorb liquids if it's in contact for long periods of time it can make it weaker.

Me personally, I wouldn't be spraying my reels with WD40 and the rest of them as dirt and sand sticks to the lube rather then repels it like reel oil does.

Also you dont need to over load your reel with oil and grease too often. All you need to do is tighten the drag and handle and lightly wrinse the reel, not forcefully as this can push more crap into it.

If you guys know grease it doesn't go anywhere too fast :P . So Every month or two clean the old grease out and put new stuff in. Between this just wrinse and maybe oil your reel 2 or 3 times.

Troy

Archived