Whats with fireline?

Feral

Ok, been plenty of people around the ridges singing the virtues of firewire.

So when I got my latest 1000 series reel I want to use for bass, Ferg says he has half a spool of firewire I can have.

I have a look at it, nice dark grey colour, but its stiff like number 8 fencing wire. I've got a $4 spool of 50lb mono thats more flexible.

Ferg reckons it also flakes off when you start using it. He only had it on his reel for an hour or so and junked it.

Is it a bad batch he got, or is it all crap?

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/21 05:49

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/26 05:48

My opinion of the stuff is changing - I used to love it but now I only have it on about 3 spools. I use it for the Benny ponds and creeks. I am also planning to use it for bream on my sall egg beaters. ;)

It's great for casting. So I say yeap thumbs up for the right application:) . But don'y put it on you bait casters.:P

Hey Feral if it's free and from Ferg - grab it:evil: Doesn't happen too often.:woohoo:

mate I've got 6 pound firewire on one reel and 15 on another. I haven't used the 15 much but gave the 6 a good thrashing over Easter last year at Townsville. I guess it feels a bit strange, not overally supple, but it casts like an absolute bullet and is super sensitive. I was pretty much lure fishing with small HBs, cast parallel to the shore, about 3 feet out. When the lure touch a rock I could feel it straight away and would drop the rod tip to stop (well minimise lol) snags. Then when the all little cod come racing out to hammer the lure even though you would see the strike when I felt it though the rod I would near crap myself it comes through so direct.

About the flaking I don't know what you mean. I would recommend it for lure casting anyday.

Yeah sorry it is Berkley Fireline 20lb.

Dunno where firewire came from. I'll blame Firefox's spell check!

I am gunna pull it off and replace it with some fluorocarbon of the same diameter, much softer and suppler. I really dont like it.

Maybe a really thin one might be better, but cant see much thinner than 0.2mm getting to old!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/21 10:40

Have been using 20lb on and off for a while, works fine. No leader!

I put it on my bass reel for the lenthalls barra, worked well on the Bass, whilst trying for barra, so why not! Its the same diameter as the 6lb I normally use anyway.

The flouro I am going to put on is Berkley vanish.

Feral wrote:

Yeah sorry it is Berkley Fireline 20lb.

Dunno where firewire came from. I'll blame Firefox's spell check!

I am gunna pull it off and replace it with some fluorocarbon of the same diameter, much softer and suppler. I really dont like it.

Maybe a really thin one might be better, but cant see much thinner than 0.2mm getting to old!<br /><br />Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/21 10:40

Feral that's a waste of money - why not just use good quality mono and a long fluro leader. 100 yds of fluro will cost about $80, I think

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Good question Troy I was about to ask the same one....

I swear by Berkley fireline as one of the best lines on the market but I'm not to sure about the line you have Feral sounds abit suss!!

If your using any other type of line your not in the game......B)

I'll second that mate :P. hehe.

IMHO, Fireline is still one of the best overall lines, except when you're going above 30lbs on BC outfits and below 8lbs for tossing micro lures.

Fireline is abit stiffer at first, but once you've used it for a while it's alright, this is because fireline is a GSP line- all the tiny fibres are put together and heated slightly to get them to melt abit into each other, and then impregnated and coated with er. teflon or sth, I cant remember, but the main fibres are microdyneema, but yea, the construction is basically something like waxed dental floss.

Alot of people complain that fireline tends to \"get old\" or have the outer coating come off or the colour fades, but it's perfectly fine actually. Once you've got the line run in, it becomes extremely supple and much easier to handle. Fireline is actually my best rated braid for fishing in extremely snaggy areas, and it cuts through most nasty stuff. If you double it up or more as a bite leader, it'll hold through the jaws of most fish as well :D. hehe.

Dont get scared to put it on your BC outfit either. It works perfectly fine after you've run it in, and casts just as well. Just that you'll have to handle the backlashes abit differently. I've got 8lb Flame green on my Pixy and 20lb smoke on my Alphas, no problem at all :D.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/25 11:25

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/25 11:29

i used to use fireline on all my baitcasters and for all the spinning outfits i toss lures with but i found after a while it gets fairly brittle and i hated how it was so stiff for most of the time i used it. Now i have switched and i am using Tuf Line xp and Fins prt Braid and prefer the to of thes more. They seem to be limper than fireline (though sumtimes that can get annoying on the BC's) and also retain greater knot strength. Try them out a little dearer but well worth it.:)

ps: If you want to use braid on heavier outfits try the Daiwa PE braid its too good:woohoo:

sarod420 wrote:

i used to use fireline on all my baitcasters and for all the spinning outfits i toss lures with but i found after a while it gets fairly brittle and i hated how it was so stiff for most of the time i used it. Now i have switched and i am using Tuf Line xp and Fins prt Braid and prefer the to of thes more. They seem to be limper than fireline (though sumtimes that can get annoying on the BC's) and also retain greater knot strength. Try them out a little dearer but well worth it.:)

ps: If you want to use braid on heavier outfits try the Daiwa PE braid its too good:woohoo:

that's abit odd mate. hmm ;?..But yea, fireline does need abit more time to get broken in, and not everyone fancies that. It's more towards the line construction as well. Fireline is a GSP while FINS and Tuff line are braids. The coating on GSPs generally make them thicker.

what poundage of Tuff Line do you use? never really liked the look of it - seems like it's made of very few strands to get the thinness. Tried the knot strength for the 14lb one (if I remember correctly)- horrible, snapped too easily. Try doing an overhand knot/granny knot in the line with 1.5ft of line on the tag end of the knot, and give it a sudden hard jerk.

FINS PRT is not too bad, but the colour tends to come off, and any poundage above 20lbs tends to soak up too much water. I also found that if your rod didnt have decent(at least Fuji Alconite) guides, tossing lures with this line would damage the line, causing some of the tiny strands to break within the line, making it \"hairy\". Definitely not a line I'd recommend for popping. I once swam 50+m (twice in a row!!! :pinch:) to retrieve a Carpenter Sea Frog that snapped off mid-cast :S .

Something around the same price range and of the same construction but of higher quality (IMHO), would be Powerpro. Quite thin(I can load 80yards of 50lb on my Alphas), very supple, good shock resistance and very high knot strength.

Have anyone here tried FINS Evolution yet? Hard-coated GSP, but I've found it great for trolling and bottom bouncing as the line body is abit stiffer, but that makes it soo much more manageable surprisingly. Similar to Spider Fusion.

I use the tuf line in 10 and 14lb on my baitcasters find if u do a 70 - 100 twist bimini and use an albright to tie on 2-3m of 17lb flourocarbon ( leaders are a must with gsp and braid)it holds damn well . Just make sure u check leaders and knots after a fishing session

With braid always add more twists to your knots as it is so much thinner than most lines.

PS If u dont want to fork out for braid try platypus lo stretch its thinner than normal mono lines and has the sensitivity of braid

Has anybody used the Yo-Zuri Hybrid?

Sarod - Have to agree with you, I'm a big fan of the Fins, have had the same spool on for 4 yrs and it's still going great guns, slightly faded but that's it. Being limp it's alot more user friendly than GSP's and I reckon it has better abrasion resistance.

I would have tought the price of Braid would have come down by now though...

I doubt the price will drop for awhaile the amount of time it takes to manufacture braid is ridiculous and plus they are a cash cow for the major tackle distributors. And as long as u wash off all the salt and keep them out of direct sunlight when u are not using them braid will last for ages

Archived