AFO Social comps?

Mongorian

hey Guys,

Just an idea.

With all the hype and craze of bream on lures and these comps. How about having a Tournament styled bream comp for AFO members but make it free. No prizes or anything involved but a nice laid back comp where we can have a meet and greet and have a small comp etc. So no matter what your skill level i'm sure we;ll all have a good time. The way it would work is to nominate a place and date and have AFO members puting there hands up to be boaters and be deckies for the comp.. If there's enough interest in this maybe the moderators could look into organising such a thing?

We could do it on length instead of weight if no scales were available.

so it'd be best 5 legal bream caught on lures and flies with the longest length of 5 bream winning? if that makes sense lol

Just my thoughts anyway. I reckon it'd be a good idea and great way to meet members you haven't already met and a good way for bragging rights. :P:p

What are your thoughts?

cheers

Mate we strongly encourage members to organise socials whenever and as often as they want!

There are 4 official events run each year to keep the site in existance.

However above and beyond that members have the full support from admin to create more social events. A few members have readily taken to this and have regular meets.

The ability to create groups was with the intention to aid this, and Webby has been working long and hard and quite a cost in software to create a new feature allowing members to actually create and event and invite people to it (similar to facebook).

However in the mean time, by all means jump into the Fishing Events section and create an event!

Cheers.

Angus

I would def try and attend if I was free.

Face to face events really cement the commitment to the online community in my opinion.

A bit of advice as I have organised a few social and official events through the site.

Once you feel you have got sufficient feedback from this thread to make it worth while, create a new one with the date, concept, location etc.

This will avoid confusion and give people the abilty to find the desired information in the first post.

Cheers.

Angus

Looks like theres some decent interest in this.. next things to think about:

when:

where: north/south coast/ brisbane river even? :P

how long: 1 day comp or.. ?

rules: photo entry or keep the fish alive / lurs only or bait soakers as well?

Hope im helping =]

to keep it "free" ditch the live weigh in idea and make it a pic on proofmat entry. Not everyone has livewell, or a boat for that matter. Even landbased fisho's could be in with a good chance then. I suggest broadwater, or Manly for location

tomca wrote:

to keep it "free" ditch the live weigh in idea and make it a pic on proofmat entry. Not everyone has livewell, or a boat for that matter. Even landbased fisho's could be in with a good chance then. I suggest broadwater, or Manly for location

Also as this wont be a AFO run event maybe just read the image off the camera. Otherwise youll need a lap top with some serious battery life. And someone willing to sit there for an hour or so going through the pictures. Espcecially with bream as its often mm we are talking about.

Angus

Thanks for the interest guys. Looks like we might be onto something here.

Would only be a one day comp.

As for the picture thing there could be so many dicrepencies in sizes and ways the bream could be measured for the photograph. (i.e. not all measuring devices are the same, fish being stretched and measuring with an open or closed mouth does make a difference) IMO I reckon it would be better for say myself if I ran the event to measure all the fish at the end of the day with the same ruler or bragmat for everyone for the following reasons.

1. to eliminate discrepencies

2. it would be more accurate to have one person doing the job

3. It would also be great for everyone to see fish people catch in the flesh rather then only in pictures.

Would'nt wana include bait in the social I run as I would like to make it as close to the real thing as possible so you get a feel for the comps so if you decided to step into the real thing it wouldnt be so different. But if someone else runs one you're more than welcomed to include bait.

As for landbased anglers that's why I said to get on the event thread and nominate yourself to be a deckie so you get a ride for the day. This would eliminate any cheating even though it is only a social comp. Landbased anglers could also fish in spots that boats couldnt access i.e. land locked lakes....

as for livewells an esky with an aerator would definately be more than sufficient.

hows this sound so far?

Hope to get more intersted from members and hopefully running a social soon.

cheers

there was a social comp not so long ago with rockets birthday bash down the coast if i rember right and with this type of event i would give the guys running the site a break and leave it up to us as members to organise these days. it looks like that is what will happen here and would be interested myself in joining in along with adding that many social events are organised by the site users and is encouraged.

mark

tugger wrote:

there was a social comp not so long ago with rockets birthday bash down the coast if i rember right and with this type of event i would give the guys running the site a break and leave it up to us as members to organise these days. it looks like that is what will happen here and would be interested myself in joining in along with adding that many social events are organised by the site users and is encouraged.

mark

Mark thats the idea.

The site is hear for people to network, learn and try new things, organise socials etc.

We as the admin cant however be organising stuff every weekend. We have niether the time or incentive to do so.

We do however strongly encourage in the spirit that we believe is AFO for members to this on their own.

Angus

Mongorian wrote:

Thanks for the interest guys. Looks like we might be onto something here.

Would only be a one day comp.

As for the picture thing there could be so many dicrepencies in sizes and ways the bream could be measured for the photograph. (i.e. not all measuring devices are the same, fish being stretched and measuring with an open or closed mouth does make a difference) IMO I reckon it would be better for say myself if I ran the event to measure all the fish at the end of the day with the same ruler or bragmat for everyone for the following reasons.

1. to eliminate discrepencies

2. it would be more accurate to have one person doing the job

3. It would also be great for everyone to see fish people catch in the flesh rather then only in pictures.

Would'nt wana include bait in the social I run as I would like to make it as close to the real thing as possible so you get a feel for the comps so if you decided to step into the real thing it wouldnt be so different. But if someone else runs one you're more than welcomed to include bait.

As for landbased anglers that's why I said to get on the event thread and nominate yourself to be a deckie so you get a ride for the day. This would eliminate any cheating even though it is only a social comp. Landbased anglers could also fish in spots that boats couldnt access i.e. land locked lakes....

as for livewells an esky with an aerator would definately be more than sufficient.

hows this sound so far?

Hope to get more intersted from members and hopefully running a social soon.

cheers

Sounds good to me - I'll be in

Sing out if you need help with any organising

Jono

I reckon the broadwater would be a good place to have a social. maybe have the start/finish at the beach behind the swimming pool? Can't think of the name of the street but it's the ramp at anzac park and near the GC sportfishing club. Alot of beach space for boats there.

Mongorian wrote:

BUMP

I'll be outa town for a month from this sunday.

so maybe someone can bite the bullet and organise a social while im gone.

Looking forward to reading a report when i'm away.

cheers

I reckon me and 51mpl might give it a go then if that's ok by you mate. Will keep you posted. Won't be till after State of Origin anyways :)

Scope wrote:

Mongorian wrote:
BUMP

I'll be outa town for a month from this sunday.

so maybe someone can bite the bullet and organise a social while im gone.

Looking forward to reading a report when i'm away.

cheers

I reckon me and 51mpl might give it a go then if that's ok by you mate. Will keep you posted. Won't be till after State of Origin anyways :)

Sounds great.

Hope this becomes a regular thing if it's successful.

thanks scope and 51mpl

cheers

Hey all you MODS out there - Just to avoid confusion can we lock this thread so as to keep discussions about this social in the new thread started by 51mpl please??

New thread is here

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/23-going-fishing-noticeboard/272778-first-social-bream-comp--eoi-#272825

Cheers

Archived