Marina/ Harbour Fishing is illegal.

billp

After getting kicked out of Manly Harbour last week, one of the local kayakers made some calls and got this response:

After a few phone calls , and a few "I 'll get back to you" messages...the verdict is....

Qld Transport Maritime Safety have taken control of Manly boat harbour - and many others...and it is illegal to fish within the confines of any marina/harbour , it is also illegal to fish from the shore within the boudries including the walkway along along the foreshores...while they don't actively patrol the area , any complaint can lead to a fine...they state that safety , damage to persons and property and boating hazard as their reasons...they know that people like us / families etc have been fishing here and other harbours/marinas for a long time , they have issued fines and will continue to do so if you are caught...

So , am I surprised - hell yes , been fishing there since it was built , being ignorant of the laws - it hasn't worried me - but now knowing what I do , my "responsible fishing mind" says I won't fish in there again.

I think I will also take this warning seriously and not fish there again. Will this stir people up definately, will it stop them fining people... no. Some food for thought I guess.

Anywhere within the harbour...landbased included - so yes , technically the jetty is not to be fished from anymore...with the absence of signs/warnings etc , I am not sure of the legalities if anyone was to get a fine , information like this should be made aware to the public , not hidden somewhere in a "government bible" under section 666 sub section b33 paragraph 5 line 2.....its a crap law that will catch someone out sooner or later

ps...I think RQYS are the owners of the land and the rockwall now as well...apparently the bird watchers have permission to access this area...fisher people are illegally tress passing once they go through/past the fence , and they have threatened to call the local police if you are caught by their staff...this probably won't stop anyone , but at least you know...

I have spent many a happy hour walking up and down the foreshore near the good chip shop flicking me lures in the harbour, chatting with interested Joe Public about what's in there and what I haven't caught, maybe eveninspiring peeps to take up a rod......Oh, well. Off to pastures new, might even catch a few fish.......

Thanks for the heads up.

I think a pair of 11-12yr olds hooning about in the marina in a little tinny is more dangerous than me and my flick rod, but them's the laws, aye?? ;)

Seen people cast netting there, also illegal??

Some people get way to fired up over fishing, bit of a joke. However I wouldn't like it if my boat space had bait packets floating around, hooks and jig heads stuck in my ropes etc. If only fisherman were more responsible in the first place to stop the sport getting banned in some areas.

pinkey wrote:

Some people get way to fired up over fishing, bit of a joke. However I wouldn't like it if my boat space had bait packets floating around, hooks and jig heads stuck in my ropes etc. If only fisherman were more responsible in the first place to stop the sport getting banned in some areas.

Very true Pink.

Be respectful, pick up after yourself and no-one will complain.

Can't teach some people though... :dry:

I think that Rob spoke to someone in the QLD transport Dpt Marine division.

There are always a few people that wreck fishing for everyone, I know that every time I go out lately I come back with a few bottles and bait bags etc.

As for the harbour rubish, I beleive most of it comes from the bogans that live on the boats. That's why the bream are so fat, with a constant supply of crap.

ive been asked to not fish certain areas that could be classed as private marinas and i was under the impression that as long as you remain in your boat at all times then the "water" is actually public thoroughfare.

I have been threatened by security guards (land based) and have been told that my rego etc will be passed onto Water police. Not once in 6 years have i been fined or even told by water police to move on....... Not one to tempt fate however i would love to see the actual written rules that state otherwise. i have even had Police drive straight past me and wave hello whilst fishing marina areas.

Of course people that own expensive Riviera style boats dont want a barrage of jig heads smashed against the side of their boats etc, but surely no one can have authority over the water itself?

As for the rock wall etc @ Manly, i can understand the need for no trespassing rules as this is clearly a liability issue. If you were to fall and break your leg on their property you could potentially take legal action against the owning body. I dont see how this could apply to fishing from a boat/yak/nu etc.

Its a bloody shame coz we all know how good the fishing round marinas can be, i dont want to have to always be looking behind my shoulder every time i fish these spots, it really zaps the fun out of it very quickly. Thats why i rarely fish Brisbane Wharves @ the Port anymore, BUT that is a legitimate safety issue. A couple of guys quietly and cleanly flicking a couple of lures around? SICK of the HARASSMENT !!! (rant over)

First of all , I spoke to Marine Parks at Manly , they thought it was fine as they often stopped near me anyway when in their boat and asked how I was going etc...

Then I spoke to Brisbane Port Authority , who didn't know about marinas etc ...

Then I spoke to Dept of Transport who put me on to the Marine Section , who put me on to A lady called Anne something or other who was in charge of Manly marina and other marinas in Qld...

This is where I got the information , I should have got them to send me a copy of the legislation etc , but was to pissed at the idea that I could be fined if I took my family down to the Manly foreshore walkway for a quick fish and chips while wetting a line , where obviously throwing a 1/32 jighead and a bit of plastic won't go near any boats etc...

I have fished the harbour nearly 35 years on and off , never been told before or made aware of this law...know a lot of boat owners - been one myself - in there...live so close I see people fish it everyday from various vantage points...yet know of no one being fined or prosecuted to date here...have chatted to police , customs , marine parks , dpi and coast guard while fishing from land and the yak in the harbour...no one has made a fuss...makes me wonder how air tight the law is and how well it is known...

It is up to you what you do with the info , but at least you are aware now , me - I'll follow their rules now that I know , trying to be a responsible fisherman like I am - but I have nothing against anyone I see fishing there in the future due to the absence of signs or publication of this law/rule...

Ok I think I might have read too much into your original post. I took it that it was illegal to fish the whole of the W/M foreshore. Also as far as I am aware PoB still controls the Gunn jetty. The fenced off area has always been out of bounds.

I fired up thinking this was some new legislation. If you get any info on the actual legislation involved I would be interested if you could post it or a link.

well i am no expert however I thought that no one owned the land adjacent to the seas, bays, and lakes so many meters above high water mark. I know that was the case on Lake Tinaroo when I was growing up. I would have thought that no one owned the water within the marina unless it had been dug out of an existing land base. Resumed land like Manly and Raby bay I would think is fair game. just my opinion.

Archived