Old School

Angus

I was looking through old photo's the other night and i came across pics of my dad with spearfishing catches.

I was asking him about it and he used to spear crays and fish from the reefs off both Stumers Creek and Point Arkright. I was thinking hard about this and those reefs are a fair way out, like nearly a KM.

How would you feel coming onto dusk and dragging back a few fish like the one pictured over your shoulder :unsure:

He has another one at home of a jewy ill scan and get on here as well. [img size=250]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DadMorwong.jpg

post-63-144598414462_thumb.jpg

Angus,

About 6 months ago a few mates and i started getting into spearfishing, when we asked our mates dad where to go he told us about a bomby down near the tweed, the way he described it it was no worries swimming out spearing a couple then bringing them back in when your done, when he showed us a map and told us it was about 30 mins swimming to get out there werent to keen, then he told us it was about 10 metres water, got even less keen

I hear you mate.

Im not worried about the physical aspect involved in dragging fish back.

Its more the fact that he was dragging bleeding fish carcasses behind him from more than a KM out at dusk!!!

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/10 14:13

Angus you're a yakka - not much different to every time you go for a paddle. :P

When I live at Kirra, and in my Old School Days, I used to jump in at Snapper and swim to Kirra as part of my training. It was pretty cool till one day swimming past the Kirra reef I saw a shark eating a turtle. I changed my training program after that.

BTW - Do you know what we used to call Boogie Boards - Shark Biscuits.:S :woohoo: :woohoo: Sort of fits yaks.

i'm with your dad angus i spearfished all the goldcoast and northern nsw headlands and close reefs in the 70s and 80s. cook island was a favourite swiming out from fingal head at dawn. my mates and i even used to go in after pelagics in a berley trail behind the boats miles out at sea.

30min swim in 10m of water sound like the work of a true spear fisherman..

After seeing Vic Heslop get chewed up and spat out by a white pointer during a spearfishing competition and living through the ordeal:pinch: ,after that I made sure that the rope I tethered my fish too was extra long....:P

He made the mistake of having his fish tethered to his weight belt:ohmy: .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived