fishing Cairns suburbs

tiotony

After a long stint offshore have come home to wet season in full swing. Used a break in the weather to head 10 minutes walk down the road to hit the high tide at a bridge crossing a small creek that runs through Cairns suburbs. Straight away saw prawns and little fish getting smashed up so put on a 2" gulp shrimp and cast up under the bridge.

post-6937-144598551033_thumb.jpg

Got an instant strike on a very nice 50cm+ jack which I was fortunate to see before he busted my 8lb fireline on all the shopping trolleys and dead trees under the bridge. Rerigged and got an instant strike again on a GT about 40cm, followed in quick succession by 3 more.

post-6937-144598551024_thumb.jpg

Then managed a jack about 40cm which I kept for lunch.

post-6937-144598551029_thumb.jpg

A couple of casts later old bucketmouth (barra) about 65cm boofed my gulp as I was about to lift it out of the water. He powered off under the walkway before doing a jump and throwing the hook, which I wasn't upset about as I try to avoid the barra during closed season.

By then it was slack water and the baitfish and prawns were getting a reprieve except from some archerfish, so headed home for lunch. It amazes me the quality and quantity of fish I can get in a suburban creek that's only about 4 feet deep at high tide, and it reminds me how lucky I am to live in Cairns! Plan to try tomorrows high tide drifting an unweighted live prawn on 20lb braid right under the bridge, to see if I can extract a 50cm+ jack.

I used to live in Hannam St and I'm pretty sure I've pulled jacks out of the same creek as in your pictures but never seen any barra there. I really miss the fishing in cairns, catch jacks up there like bream in brisbane. I used to walk along the trainline next to the dump and fish the estuaries, seen crocs and hooked a few barra in there but never landed a barra in my life.

High is around 11:00 Azza, unfortunately I wont be here tomorrow as just found out I'm on a flight to Perth. Shame as the tides tomorrow night would be good down the inlet for fingermark. Don't think you have a fishy window there as I think there won't be enough water in the creek early morning, and It'll probably be too fresh in the arvo on the ebb with all the rain getting washed down. If you give it a crack its the creek just next to Westco Motors on Mulgrave road. Hope you get something as the strikes were thick and fast thismorning- I think they are gorging on fish washed down from the fresh, everything I landed was spewing up little fish and prawns.

• 9 years later...