Stolen trailer

Bluevien

My mate had his trailer stolen from Deepwater Bend boat ramp last night at around 8pm. It's a Sea-Link trailer with the rego - CW 6914

Margate2mar2011003.jpg

If anyone sees it or has any info please PM me. It was the first day of his 2 week break and this happens to him the poor bugger.

If there is a silver lining, the extra time on the water waiting for a recovery trailer allowed us to see an example of the endangered Pagrus auratus species. It went 43cm so we gladly put it back so future generations can enjoy such a rare sight.

Margate2mar2011002.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

they should be shot, ill keep my eye out although once they remove the rego plate it would be very hard to distinguish unless it was your own trailer and you knew it well. good work on the endangered species though

No of course not. Seriously, just venting, its not a nice feeling as a bloke getting your hard earned bits pinched and cause you cant put your hands on them and get you trailer or whatever they've decided to make thiers you end up fuming. I really would like one of them to try and have a look in the shed prior to realising theres a dog in it

O yeah mate i agree, there low life scums who deserve to have there fingers broken..

Ive had stuff knocked off outta me boat, i lost me sounder and a few odds n ends. Worst thing about it is im not working and ive been off work for close to a year and have only fished from my boat twice in this time, hopefully get back in the next 2 weeks or so and buy a new sounder..Low life pricks!

Thats lower then a snakes botty hope he finds them and give's them a smake in the jaw.Just a heads up to every one they should probly padlock the saftey chain to the car to stop that happening to them.Good luck and I hope your mate gets it back.

I think I would have kittens if someone stole me trailer! Have no idea what I would do or who I would call?

I put the old trailer lock on as well as the wheel clamp that I use at home...if they really want it I guess they will find a way..

I think I would have kittens if someone stole me trailer!

And especially at night. He took the boat up nearer dohles and beach it until this morning before a recovery trailer could be arranged by his insurance co. Thankfully the tide was going out so the boat was going nowhere until the morning.

I padlock mine but think the same... if they want it and they are brazen enough to try, they could take it too. And unfortunately for my mate, the oportunity was there so they took it, literally.

Padlock will only stop the honest ones mate, if they want it the will use bold cutters hacksaw or what ever, seen it many times in Gladstone

Mostly its a matter of showing that 'my trailer is too hard to take, so look elsewhere'. I padlock a trailer lock over the coupling when leaving my trailer at the ramp, and also put the shackle on my safety chain on with a shifter so fingers will not undo it.

Also park under a street light, near as possible to the ramp so you have the most pedestrian traffic going past your trailer.

With modern video and camera phones etc, thieves are far more wary of getting up to no good with other people around.

Hahaha yeah I want some, where'd ya get em from mate???

Yes your right about padlock being a deterent, how ever one would also think that parking at fishermen island or colmslie would be safe also with both places under constant video survalence from the port security, but boat trailers still get pinch and damage is made to the cars..The lights theory sounds good,only if the destructive bastards Havnt smash the bloody lights.Been thinking of tying me bluedog x dingo up to me trailer but the thieving prices will probably pinch him to..

Love that sticker. You should start a production line with them :cheer:

A couple other cheap preventions are to buy one of them lockable hitch pins for the class 4 towbar tongues, (otherwise they will simply pull the pin and take the tongue out with a trailer/boat secured with a padlock)and also get a FBH (***Big Hammer) and smash up the threaded end of the tow ball (this prevents the tow ball from being removed and fitted to the getaway car.

A lot of people think that cos the trailer coupling has a padlock, they think it's safe. But they don't think about how easy it is just to unhook it all from the actual car side of things.

The sad part is, nothing will ever stop a good...bad guy. If they want it they will get it.

I hope the mongrels do get caught by someone...prolly wont be caught by the authorities cos the government has them all tied up chasing people who go fishing and throwing them in jail instead. :dry:

yeah mate stickers are all on ebay starting frmo 0.99c. free delivery. i was lucky to win it. they have heaps of funny ones. On the more serious side, it sort of goes to show the thief that they may suffer serious or fatal injuries if they try to nick your pride and joy.. :lol:

Unfortunately it's too easy to get a stolen trailer re-registered. All you have to do is remove the manufacturer's plate and go to the transport dept and register it as a homemade trailer. You don't even have to take it for inspection.

If you or I were to spot a commercially made trailer that has clearly had the manufacturer's plate removed, I wonder if the police would be interested in rego numbers of the car and trailer? After all, why would anybody remove the plate if not to rebirth it? I suppose a diligent thief would try to cover the area where the plate was, but there are a lot of dumb thieves about.

I use Batman's tactic, hitchlock and wheel clamp...maximum visual deterrent.

I was slightly paranoid about leaving the car & trailer in the car park all weekend for WaveBreak last weekend. Think I'll invest in a wheel lock as I don't have insurance. How often do rollers and stuff get taken from boats - wondering if it's worth having spares in the car?

Hope your mate has luck finding it - low life scum!!!!!!!!

Kelvin.

I have seen 1 trailer with the holes in the roller pins drilled out and small padlocks fitted to each side to prevent theft.

I am pretty sure you would be cutting off the padlock to grease your axle as no padlock that size is going to survive a dunk in salt water, and I think it would be easier to snip a padlock off with small bolt cutters than to bend a split pin back around straight and then pull it through the hole.

Idea = FAIL

haha maybe we should sugest a very novel idea that many of us have been doing for a while, its called work.. you get money for it and can then spend it on things you like... Boat ramps and back yards are not super markets..:P

Idea = FAIL :P :P :P

Some people are just born to bludge and thieve off the hard work of others!

just a suggestion

I invested in Data-Dot technology, its a microdot that is glued to all areas of the boat, engine etc. The Data-Dot has all my details on it and a unique code, they are so small crims would never know they are there and it will help police identify that the goods are mine.

I have them on heaps of my stuff, pushbike, camera etc

I still wheel lock my trailer and use pad locks chains as a deterent......

Just heard of another trailer being stolen from Deepwater Bend. Police say they patrol the area regularly at night but that's not stopping the crime so take a little extra care and use some of the advise given here.

Thanks to all for keeping their ear to the ground... no worD on mates trailer and don't think there will be. Let's see if Club Marine comes through for him.

yeah mate stickers are all on ebay starting frmo 0.99c. free delivery. i was lucky to win it. they have heaps of funny ones. On the more serious side, it sort of goes to show the thief that they may suffer serious or fatal injuries if they try to nick your pride and joy.. :lol:

yep..just like the "Baby on Board" stickers on the back of cars,they help keep the road carnage down. :whistle: But then again it`s the thought that counts..gives some that warm fuzzy peace of mind feeling :ohmy:

Archived