New to forum and to fishing

Breddy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - I'm trying to find a hobby to take up some downtime when I'm not working. I find alot of my colleagues (I'm an Emergency Doctor) find a hobby to be an excellent way to achieve some life balance. Now seeing as I don't like heights and am in no way, an adrenaline junky. I thought fishing might be an option.

My experience with fishing is limited to boating on the hume dam as a little kid, using fresh yabbies for bait, catching redfin mainly. Since then about once a year I'm out on a charter, usually in Port Phillip Bay where I'm emasculated by the crew whenever my line needs re-doing.

Living in Brisbane at the moment, Bowen Hills. Ideally I want to get into river bank fishing etc or even down the track, some fishing kayak stuff.

Any tips, sites, info you can pass onto a newb like me would be much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks for the fish!

Breddy

hey , plenty of good spots in and around brissy for land based anglers. the best advice is to go through all of the brissy river and creek reports for a wealth of knowledge on all areas and types of fishing ot be done in brissy. but my self being a mainly bait fishermena i would recomend getting a cast net and learning how to use it. gather some live prawns and mullet, herring and try fishing in and around brekky creek, pinkenba, newfarm boggy creek etc, if you use the going fishing notice board on this site you might even get some to go along with who you can pick thier brains. hope this helps mate

Welcome to the site and I am sure your skills will be in demand here on and off, epsecially after the photos of the last 'on the water' stitches job were put up on here.

A good intro normally equates to some offers to fish by some of the 'older' crew on here, so keep you eyes and email open for some offers.

ahahah what Henry said is so true. If you get addicted to it your pockets are going to feel lighter :P , that goes for any addiction i guess :lol:

Welcome to the site mate

A great way to experience what AFO has to offer socially is via attending events that AFO has to offer.

Great people and fishermen/fisherwomen

Sorry if your not an adrenalin junkie your in the wrong place. Watching fish chase a popper across the surface is about as good as gets!!

But in all seriousness welcome to the site mate.

A good event to check out would be the upcoming Winter Camp mate. Suits experts and total novices alike with gear, boats, live shrimp etc all provided as well as the expertise on how to apply these. Its almost a gaurunteed way to catch your first few bass and meet some other great AFOers face to face while your at it!

Angus

Welcome mate. I can't add much more than what everyone else has already said.

Just a heads up, it can get expensive if this hobby turns into somewhat of an addict sport. We're all poorer thanks to this forum :D

Yeah mate fishing is very addictive, once you start catching some good fish and having heaps of fun it's all over mate. I have Henry & Angus to thank for that and I'm still counting the co$t hahahaha

People here are very friendly and full of advice too !! Welcome

G'day breedy and welcome to site you shouldn't have any problems finding info here and just a heads up if you ever get and invite with elicat (brian) think twice about it as you may need you put your skill's to use on yourself :lol: :lol: .

There are many a good fisherman on this sit that offer up decky spots from time to time and as angus said try to get to some of the events or even the social's there great fun.

Archived