Shimano Baitcaster questions

Howie

Well I'm looking at purchasing a baitcaster combo for snag bashing with lures and some estuary trolling.

Without starting any brand related debates :P I prefer Shimano, so I'm looking at the Curado and the canean. Does anyone have these reels?

The rod of choice at the stage is the Raider Barra mauler (5-8kg, 1.73m) thoughts?

I know most people may say go the curado as it does look the far superior reel...however. At BCF atm they have the canean combo with the above raider rod for $200!?!?!?! this is a crazy price when both rod and reel are around the $130 mark each.

One last thing, some of the guys on tv suggest to use a much heavier braid as the main line when lure fishing as it makes casting easier with the larger diameter and prevents birds nests a bit more. Would 30lb fins braid be over kill?

/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=3951

/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=7147

/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=4089

Cheers for any advice

Shaun

i guess its up to you whether you want to buy the higher end or the lower end reel, the curado is just gonna be a bit more refined in use sitting a couple places higher on the ladder so to speak. never used a caenan but i've used curados and they are a very good reel

thicker braid on lighter lures will be harder to cast not easier, as it has more resistance. no matter what line you're using if you're trying to throw lures too light for your setup you'll have a hard time casting, its a combination of reel size, spool weight, rod rating and taper etc. generally speaking the smaller and lighter the baitcaster and the lighter/whippier the rod+line the lighter you'll be able to cast

cheers

Dan

If I'm faced with a decision between a lower spec and a higher spec reel from the same manufacturer and both are within my budget, I'll always opt for the upper spec one. I tend to keep reels for a while, and I figure I'll be enjoying the better reel long after I've forgotted the price difference. I've never owned the canean, but I have 2 green machines and love them.

If you're serious about the curado, it's still a good time to look across the pacific. You can get a 200e5 or 200e7 for about $170AU delivered. I bought a 51e from the states. It took about 10 days, and saved about $100 on local retail price.

hay guys sorry about late reply Uni has been pretty full on lately... :(

I am leaning much more towards the curado, it looks the goods for its price, and the feedback I've heard about them is good :)

@ Dan: what fishing situations would you use the curados with the 15 and 30lb braid on?

@tangels: thats a really good idea i didnt think about looking overseas, will defs do that :) and saving around $100 is heaps good, more lures lol

thanks for all your help boys :)

Shaun

I got a couple of calcuttas for $100 each second hand, the 200 and the 400. THey are beaut little reels. Personally now I'm at the stage where I buy the best reel I can afford and bang it on a cheap rod. Say $25 or $30. SO long as it has fuji guides and a good reel seat I reckon it's ok. 30lb braid is absolutely ok to use on them. Like 15lb mono really in diameter. I believe the comment about thicker line being harder to cast is correct. Also i agree with the comment about HRF's. I have one and it is a lovely little reel.

regards Jimmy

I prefer Daiwa myslef, the HRF. I have both and the Shimano just sits in the rack while I use the three HRF spooled with different strength braid.

I was waiting for someone to say HRF Daiwa...

HRF forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Not that we are wanting to start a brand debate here :whistle:

i owned both canean and curado. if you have the money, definately go the curado. the canean has graphite body, when under pressure, there is abit of movement in the reel. the curado is aluminium body which is much more better. you won't regret getting a curado imo. i have a curado 200e5 hooked up to a shimano bass raider. beatiful combo for estuary.

I am 95% sure I have already replied to this?? sorry guys

Well firstly thank you for all your advice :)

But its funny how daiwa comes up into topic again :P I must admit the HRF does look pretty good? what makes it better then the Curado?

Thanks for that link Joel it looks the goods and there is some good savings there :D

Cheers,

Shaun

howie, 30lb goes on the reels i chuck in dirtier structure, and 15lb is about the standard, i use this for most lure jigging around the mouth, bay, etc. the 30lb i basically crack out when i feel like casting into a ridiculous bunch of pilons and skulldragging out.

theres always fans of both sides of the fence re: shimano and daiwa, never owned a HRF (although played with a few) but curados have earned an outstanding reputation and one thing i can say with conviction is the stock drag on a curado is much smoother than the stock drag on a HRF.

i've dabbled in the daiwas with a millionaire sw103, and even with upgraded carbontex drag washers the stock drag on my little scorpion at the time (which is a jap domestic model curado) was still smoother. hell, the stock drag on my flogged budget model cruxis was smoother and thats something like 1/3rd the price of an sw103.

one thing daiwa does do very well with their baitcasters is the castability, and they probably edge alot of the shimano reels in this regard in my opinion. personally i just couldnt get past the drag so i sold it on

all, of course, my opinion and experiences

Its hard to say weather a HRF is better. I guess one way of looking at it is that seams to be hard to come by a HRF second hand, where as there is heaps of Curado. Maybe this is because there is way more sold of Cruado? i dont know or maybe that once u get a HRF u don't want to let it go. I guess really they are much of a muchness. :blink:

@ eg_vtec: Would you suggest the 200e5 and bass raider combo for light estuary trolling around SEQ and some HB work in the canals for larger species? or is the 5-8kg a safer option?

cheers

Shaun

ive used my bass raider for 90cm thready and jews with no problems. just takes abit more time but is more fun in the end. i personally wouldnt go any heavier then bass raider but thats my style of fishing. so really depends how you fish.,

thanks nadders :) really good reply there thanks. I'm all new to the world of baitcasters so any advice is good advice whether it be facts or personal oppinion. For me a drag is very important as it could be the difference between a a fish of a lifetime and a bust off.

could be because the HRF isnt as well known? theres plenty of advertising for shimano but not as much for daiwa? Maybe the quality of daiwa doesnt need the advertising? lol

cheers vtec, I prefer a more finnese style of fishing but as long as it has enough low down grunt to pull the bigger fish like those threadies like you caught, its all good.

shaun

Archived