Hahaha Dodgee crabers

Malcolm

He (the magistrate)will say: due to mitigating sercumstances (See appendix 3.9 for reasons you can use to consistantly get away with things Eg. My mum and dad split up when I was 10 and now have a compulsive disorder where I need to take at least 130 crabs at a time or I feel sad or I have a drinking problem which like this offence also isnt my fault) I hearby give you a good behaviour period of 15 minutes and order you to not take the legal system seriously ever again.

I think the name of this topic is uncalled for, I initially thought 'Crabbers' as being commercial fisherman. But the News article doesn't specify. (someone may be able to clarify if they were weekenders or pro's)

This can be blamed on a few things, not just human stupidity and greed. The 'fisherman' may not have been educated on size and bag limits as well as restrictions on taking hens.

Growing up in a community where fishing socially and commercially is a daily practice, I can assure you how easy it is to be caught out if you don't know any better... Each holiday season my town, like many coastal towns get an influx of holiday makers (many of which have never fished before in their lives). They hire a boat for a day and go out fishing. All that's needed is a fishing license, which can be purchased at the boat shed. No test is needed to purchase a license, no rules or regulations are passed on to the holiday makers.... They go out catch some fish, and honestly don't know any better. Who is to blame? The man and his family who have no idea of the damage they are causing? or Fisheries for making it so easy to attain a license without educating?

We spend so much money on licenses and yet how much goes back into educating the general public?

Take it Steezy.

Rapunzel

I think the name of this topic is uncalled for, I initially thought 'Crabbers' as being commercial fisherman. But the News article doesn't specify. (someone may be able to clarify if they were weekenders or pro's)

This can be blamed on a few things, not just human stupidity and greed. The 'fisherman' may not have been educated on size and bag limits as well as restrictions on taking hens.

Growing up in a community where fishing socially and commercially is a daily practice, I can assure you how easy it is to be caught out if you don't know any better... Each holiday season my town, like many coastal towns get an influx of holiday makers (many of which have never fished before in their lives). They hire a boat for a day and go out fishing. All that's needed is a fishing license, which can be purchased at the boat shed. No test is needed to purchase a license, no rules or regulations are passed on to the holiday makers.... They go out catch some fish, and honestly don't know any better. Who is to blame? The man and his family who have no idea of the damage they are causing? or Fisheries for making it so easy to attain a license without educating?

We spend so much money on licenses and yet how much goes back into educating the general public?

Take it Steezy.

Rapunzel

All good points.

However, in Qld there is no licence and to engage in fishing it is up to the angler to be aware of the rules. Irrespective if they are recreational or commercial, the sheer scale of the capture is a flagrant disregard to the law. And if they were unaware of the law they shouldn't have been doing it in the first place until they had researched and found out beforehand the rules.

Only reason i say 'uncalled for' is because the term Crabbers where im from is used for Commercial Fisherman who target crabs.

This may be different in QLD, but just stating my personal feelings. As I originally thought it was an attack on Commercial Fisherman.

I think the name of this topic is uncalled for, I initially thought 'Crabbers' as being commercial fisherman. But the News article doesn't specify. (someone may be able to clarify if they were weekenders or pro's)....

This can be blamed on a few things, not just human stupidity and greed. The 'fisherman' may not have been educated on size and bag limits as well as restrictions on taking hens.....

there are regulations governing virtually everything,so ignorance is no excuse in this day and age....to many regulations and restrictions,many of which have come about because of the minority,have been imposed on the majority.

Personally I believe,if they used a boat,trailer,car in their adventure,these should have been confiscated on the spot.

Bloody oath they do!

So when they screw up they shouldn't get off lightly. They have the ability to cause serious harm to the fish and crab population, On the other hand just because of a few we shouldn't paint all the Pro's with the same brush. Their just out there earning a living (and its a bloody hard living).

Im sorry to have distracted the topic away from the original one.

I think the name of this topic is uncalled for, I initially thought 'Crabbers' as being commercial fisherman. But the News article doesn't specify. (someone may be able to clarify if they were weekenders or pro's)....

This can be blamed on a few things, not just human stupidity and greed. The 'fisherman' may not have been educated on size and bag limits as well as restrictions on taking hens.....

there are regulations governing virtually everything,so ignorance is no excuse in this day and age....to many regulations and restrictions,many of which have come about because of the minority,have been imposed on the majority.

Personally I believe,if they used a boat,trailer,car in their adventure,these should have been confiscated on the spot.

Gad I was more referring to people who hire a boat, or just chuck a line in on holiday. Not people who fish often.

Gad I was more referring to people who hire a boat, or just chuck a line in on holiday. Not people who fish often.

no probs...but I`m still referring to everyone....I`d hate anyone to think I might be biased. :whistle: :)

Only reason i say 'uncalled for' is because the term Crabbers where im from is used for Commercial Fisherman who target crabs.

This may be different in QLD, but just stating my personal feelings. As I originally thought it was an attack on Commercial Fisherman.

well as far as i know and for as long as i have been able to talk ,we call them (pro's) up here.

Man... Pro fisherman or crabbers was never mentioned once but can see where you are coming from. If a kid dug a huge sand castle and someone went a$$ up in it, would the headline 'Dodgy Miner' draw inferences to Rio Tinto?

The correct title could possibly be 'Hahahaha Dodgy Crabs', cause everyone hates a dodgy crab :-)

A pure guess here, I would say $4500 fines each and forfeiture of the crabbing gear (if they had any) and the eskies etc, as Fisheries would have all that now anyway for evidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Rapunzel,

Although there are people out there who may be illinformed, it does not mean they should escape substantial penalties.There are many road laws which people can be fined for which they may not know about but the lack of education is caused by the individual not the community as a whole. Ignorance is no excuse for pillaging the stocks of crabs. It is no different to someone doing another crime, at the end of the day it's the law and without it we would have anarchy. I have no sympathy here

Hulk

Archived