I'm amazed

pinkey

Hi im new to the forum,

heres my weekend adventure :P.

Me and a mate were bored so we decided to go down to my secret little spot about 500m from my house in the westlake part of the brisbane river. weve only ever caught catfish and eels there before. we started saterday off by catching a few chubby catfish on some frozen prawns. after a while the fish stopped biting for about an hour untill had a real nice flathead on my line, but when i braught it to the surface it shook like mad and snapped my line :( looked about 70cmish, after that we just caught a small catty each and went home... We decided to come back the next day ( today ). So we got some more prawns from the local 7/11 and my mate with his first cast landed a nice 58cm catfish, and then a nasty little pike eel and a small catty, i still had nothing untill i relised i had somthing big on my line, i was fighting it for a good 20mins on my lite gear, when i pulled it into the shallows i saw that it was a big stingray :ohmy: as i got it into very shallow water it whent crazy whiping its 1meterish tail around and wiggling its flaps like mad and it snapped my line :(, put up a great fight though heaps of fun, after that my friend lost a big pike eel wich was pretty damn thick and we went home coverd in mud :D

was quite amazed by my little spot :)

probably pay to get a heavy line or wire trace for that spot. BTW not to be a nark or anything but there is some concern about using those supermarket prawns for bait. They come from overseas and could be diseased and infect our local prawns. Better to go get some local bait. I usually make a trip over to Jone's Tackle on Lutwhych road to get a bulk amount so I don't have to make the trip too often.

Thanks guys, yeah about the prawns dan23.. the 7/11 neer me sells proper bait and tackle.. They were a propper packet of prawns (for bait). Yeh and this week im gonna invest in some heavyer line maybe 25lb. Would that be heavy enough for large cattys, eels, flathead, and the odd stingray or shark?

if you use some heavier trace it should stopou getting bitten off with out the need for heavier main line i use 8lb nitlon mono trace and 4lb main line and landed a 60+cm flattie yesterday with ease good luck pps the lighter the main line the further you can cast and the more line you can fit on your reel :)

Cool man.

Well good luck.

Remember with river sharks though, fishing for them as lite as you can get away with is heaps more fun. In saying that, you dont want to get busted off everytime. So just find the balance that works for you.

Angus

Archived