tagged fish

Plastic Man

just wondering who out there has caught a tagged and what sort of fish it was.

Me i have caught 5 bass from the brisbane river down from wivenhoe that were tagged one of which made the paper because the fish was first tagged in july 01 at 37cm in somerset.

And then made it over the somerset wall though wivenhoe over that wall and caught by me at 49cm in november 06 now thats one tough bass.

Post edited by: Plastic Man, at: 2007/06/09 17:14

Thats an interesting story behind that bass.

I know Angus and a few other guys are really interested in Threadies and whether they are breeding in the river or not, so I was thinking it would be an interesting species to start tagging and see what their home range is, whether they are staying in the river etc? I know they tag bullies in the river and a few of these get caught so perhaps doing the same with threadies would be worthwhile?

As for catching a tagged fish, no I havent but my mate caught a tagged bass at North Pine Dam.

-nelson-

caught a bass in the upper noosa that had been at liberty for 4 years approx and grow from 23-29cm, a dolfinfish that had been out 4 months and grown about 15cm and moved from north of moreton isl to the jumpinpin wide, 2 cod in the nerang captured in the same area.

With my 3 tagged bass, one grew from 39cm -41cm from 97-03 (3cm)in 6 years ,33cm-40 from 97-03 (7cm)in 6 years and 49cm -49cm no growth from 12/02 - 11/03 1 year

So it depends on each fish and how acurate the records are that are given but they do grow slowly.

Thats why I like to catch and release with impoundment bass so we can all have a chance at getting a trophy bass who nows how big they can get just give them time 70cm would be a nice thought:woohoo:

One december at somerset my mate and I went bass for bass 19 each all were over 40cm I got 8 trophys over 50cm and wayne got 6 over 50cm all on spinnerbaits fishing a deep school out from pelican point a session of a lifetime I would like to match that again,I had never landed a 50 till that day :cheer: we had to stop at 38 bass but we could maybe of got more but were worried the gate would get shut on us cause it was getting late.

That morning I got nailed by a good bass but I lost it we caught nothing else all day but we did'nt give up and it paid off in the afternoon.

If you do get one try not remove the tag so someone else has the chance to catch the fish and give the details to the dpi but you will find the tags are hard to read because of all the crap stuck on them just try scrapping it off

I caught and tagged the black marlin in my display picture!! It was a great feeling and i can't wait for the call (hopefully) when someone re-catches it, to find out where it is now!

Best fight ever, well of the fish i have caught!

i caught a black marlin approx 20kg that had a tag in and we retagged it send the old tag and the details and stuff away and got a letter from n.s.w fisheries saying it was recaught by me 3 days later form the first capture and moved 5 miles to the north.......also a mate has got a few flathead in coochin creek with tags in too.

Archived