Rod storage whilst travelling.

Feral

After helping Ray unpack his boat on the last Lenthalls trip, we found one of his good rods in two bits, due to movement of the load in boat whilst traveling.

Also I totaled my Loomis a couple of months ago when it got crushed between the boat and a mangrove tree trunk.

So I decided to whip up a carrier that should protect my rods while traveling to camping sites, when the boat is full of camping gear.

This is it, a 8 foot length of 100mm stormwater pipe with screw on/off end caps installed. Its about 50mm shorter than the length between the seats in the bullet, so it should sit nicely on the deck with minimal movement. I can get at least 4 rods into it, probably more if I pack them from both ends carefully. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rod_holder-60db12734304f513a7e57be2eb9f756f.jpg

post-134-144598418524_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they're a good thing. Should work well.

Just a tip - unless they're individually \"wrapped\" it's much safer to bunch them all together and put them in from the same end at the same time. Using a large rubber band can help stop them banging against each other too.

also technically speaking those rod holders on the bull bars of 4wds and the likes are actually illegal by definatiion of the modification rules as per QLD roads (or whatever the governing body is). Its a weird one.

I like using those cylinder post packs for my smaller rods when travelling. The do well when taking them on planes and the likes.

Hey Do$: are they only illegle if you leave them on whilst not actually holding rods with them?

Much like Ferals design...If you are handyman challenged, you can buy a Jarvis Walker model that will fit 12ft 2 piece rods (or 6 foot one piece!). They have zippers that could be locked with a samll padlock and a handy carry strap. They are pretty popular with \"flying\" anglers and sell for about $30-$40.

not too sure on technicalities, just found the PDF saved on my computer, but according to the rules of QLD Transport rod holders

- must be only attatched to the left hand side of the vehicle

- can only be designed for no more than 4 rods

- rod holders must be either removed when not in use or retracted behind the profile of the bull bar

its just i've seen a few cars around with their rod holders protruding beyond their cars bullbar.

Cowfish, I reckon the missus might be short one of her good flannelet sheets about this time next week ;)

Yeah the old shredders are bad news on bull bars. But mines not on a bull bar! Just gives some quick vertical rod storage, for when everyone has to clear the decks when I am pulling in my 62cm Bass at Lenthalls next week!

Archived