Cod Country

ryanyoung

G'day All,

It's been a while since I have posted, or done any decent sessions, due to work, and as such, I am pretty out of practice with it all. As a result, I will keep this short :P

1. I got an invite from Lee (pcsolutionman) to head north to an old stomping ground and target some natives on some timber-riddled skinny water.

2. Too many rusty nails the night before delayed my departure by quite a bit, however did get there eventually (after smiling for the camera at 10km/h over the limit :pinch: )to find Lee waiting patiently :P

3. Launched into this.....

post-5695-144598702853_thumb.jpg

4. And caught some of these....

post-5695-144598702866_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598702876_thumb.jpg

5. Also managed one of these, going 73cm and with shoulders wider than mine :woohoo:

post-5695-144598702885_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598702895_thumb.jpg

6. All up, only about ten fish caught, which was pretty quiet for this location, however a couple of decent fish to show for our efforts.

7. Ha ha.....you thought the report was over.....I wish it was.....seriously....

8. Promised the girls I would take them out yakking also, so RV'd at Young's Crossing for a paddle and a fish.

9. Found - I bass

10. Lost - One Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500.

- One 1-3kg Shimano T-Curve.

11. Total - Approx. $500.00 worth of gear somehow disappearing over the side at some stage during my brief tenure on the water, I didn't even hear a splash :angry:

12. Bloody nice Cod though....... :woohoo: :P:lol: :silly: :whistle: :cheer:

Thanks for the invite Lee, and good to catch up again, also great to have a paddle with my girls, Miranda now controls the yak while I fish.......who needs a hobie?

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

Ryan, thats a top fish mate congrats i am still yet to crack the mary river cod but one of these days soon i am hoping. Were you expecting a cod and what did you get him on if you don't mind me asking.

Sorry to hear about the rod and reel mate. Have you thought about having a snorkel for it?

Ryan, thats a top fish mate congrats i am still yet to crack the mary river cod but one of these days soon i am hoping. Were you expecting a cod and what did you get him on if you don't mind me asking.

Sorry to hear about the rod and reel mate. Have you thought about having a snorkel for it?

Ha ha ha, every time I go to that system I am hoping for a cod :P . The by-catch usually include decent to thumper sized yellas, which are top fun too, so yes, I was aiming for cod, just not expecting one, especially one of that size lol.

I got him on a 1/4oz bassman spinnerbait in boney bream colouring (white and yellowy gold). 9lb mainline and 20lb leader, using a stradic Ci4 2500 and a 1-3kg stick.

As for snorkelling for the gear, I have already packed it in the car, here's hoping I can see well enough.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Yeah cracker Cod there :woohoo: Bet he would've towed you around for a bit.

Cheers

Mark

I was pretty luck Mark, I managed to turn him just enough initially for him to swim out of the snag, and then the fun started. It felt like ten minutes, but was probably more like five, awesome fight, so powerful. He released very well too. They are pretty hardy fish in my opinion.

Its nice to get picture messages when I am working :angry: Whats with the heavy line, I've never seen you use more than 6lb. Getting soft perhaps?

Isn't it funny how some clowns get on their high horse about bass being caught in closed season, yet noone ever tries to guilt us when we get a MRC in a system in which they are protected

Its nice to get picture messages when I am working :angry: Whats with the heavy line, I've never seen you use more than 6lb. Getting soft perhaps?

Isn't it funny how some clowns get on their high horse about bass being caught in closed season, yet noone ever tries to guilt us when we get a MRC in a system in which they are protected

Lol, thought you might appreciate a pic mate :P

I have decided at certain times, that is is okay to go heavier, and not lose man-cred :P. I got beasted a few times recently to realize this......and save money on lures ha ha ha!!!

As for no-take, the location he was caught allows a bag limit of 1, and they can be legally targeted in these areas. This info straight from DPI website. The majority of waters they are found in however, they cannot be targeted.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Sorry for the late contribution to your post Ryan, i am still trying to get over the Angus Barra post.

That is a fantastic Cod and i am sure you will remember the capture for a very long time, mate if your PB whiting is still only 33cm as stated on the bottom of your post i would help you up it a bit if your ever down my way.

Would have to be bait though not lure, cheers wayne

Sorry for the late contribution to your post Ryan, i am still trying to get over the Angus Barra post.

That is a fantastic Cod and i am sure you will remember the capture for a very long time, mate if your PB whiting is still only 33cm as stated on the bottom of your post i would help you up it a bit if your ever down my way.

Would have to be bait though not lure, cheers wayne

Cheers for that Wayne, and I will gladly come down your way for an upgrade on several species, let alone whiting. As for bait, no worries what-so-ever lol!!! Let me know when you are heading out next and have some space!!!

Cheers,

Ryan.

Archived