Lenthalls 16th to 24Feb 08 any interest.????

rayke1938

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably more loke 30 minutes to Wonga, dont forget bushmans also dont be tenpted to bushcamp the ranger is a nice guy provided you do the right thing. There are plenty of no camping signs around so no excuses with him.

If you keep on the right side of him he is extremely helpfull.

I heard a whisper on another post that work on the dam extension is almost completed and WBW are reviewing entry conditions ( speed and horsepower will be unchanged at this time.)

Ray

I hope they keep the 6hp limit on there, It makes it a nice tranquil spot and keeps away the big crowds, an earlier opening time would be nice though, poppers around the lillies on sunrise would be dynamite. Any barra left in there? I'm a bit sceptical after the fish kill and the massive amount of rain, do Barra jump over the wall like bass?

Here is a reply that I got from fishntales site.

View Profile WWW Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Lenthalls in February.

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:36:54 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote

I have been informed that we lost 4500 - 5000 barra between 50cm - 110cm in the cold snap.There have been a \"few\" barra caught since but I suspect we have lost the majority of our stocks to date. The Fraser Coast Fish Stocking Association have got an order in place for 12,000 barra fingerling's to arrive in December and the bass fishing has been fantastic of late Wink

I ( As President of the FCFSA ) Will update any details re:-fish stocking as soon as confirmed.

Regards Scotto

PS:I apologize for the delay in replies - flat out with work & moving house Tongue

So it looks like a bass trip with maybe a quicky up to monduran for a barra fix one day. Maybe some more barra may come out of hibernation with the warmer weather.

Ray

they might have have a few thousand barra but the amount of fish that go into sip dams in amazing like they are putting 12000 fingerlings in i know not all will survive but how many years have they been stocking and how many fish have gone into that water i' d still be packing barra gear

If I was a fish I would prefer the wild. Tidal waters and open rivers are fare better place to live, hide and breed. I don't think they die from exposure in the wild.

THe other thing is, on my understanding, that Lenthals is/was a bass dam. To date Barra have only been stocked in min numbers so as not to cause damage to the bass population. Loosing 4500-5000 barra just about wipes out the stocks,

Out of the 12000 new fingerlings I would guess at about a 25% survival rate cause tha bass are going to be hungry. Another guess, it will be 2 years before we see many 75cm barra again.

An uneducated answer is \"that depends on the food source, strain of fish and area they live\". THere are different strains of Barra and Bass which all grow differently.

Awoonga gets 75cm Barra in 2 years from what I hear. THe 130's at Awoonga are said to be 5-6 years.

Bass take about 2 years to get to 25cm (I think) but that will depend on lots of variables.

Does anyone have a better answer?

Brian D wrote:

If I was a fish I would prefer the wild. Tidal waters and open rivers are fare better place to live, hide and breed. I don't think they die from exposure in the wild.

THe other thing is, on my understanding, that Lenthals is/was a bass dam. To date Barra have only been stocked in min numbers so as not to cause damage to the bass population. Loosing 4500-5000 barra just about wipes out the stocks,

Out of the 12000 new fingerlings I would guess at about a 25% survival rate cause tha bass are going to be hungry. Another guess, it will be 2 years before we see many 75cm barra again.

Looks like I am still going there on the christmas weekend guys so will still flog the water for Barra, might do some research on stocking history before I go has to be some barra still in there surely? Just humuor me guys cos I will get depressed on driving 4 hours just for bass:laugh:

the survival rate could be higher depending on the fingerling size obviously the 50mm models are fair game to the bass

but undisclosed size might be grown out models

thats what they do with sooties in the barra dams well some of em growem out so they are too much of a mouthful for em

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is starting to get close will soon need to confirm who is coming this is what I have so far.Definates

Ray, Feral. Ferg..Brian, Graham Pflaum.

Pencilled

Jimmybob,Terry,angus,Aaron.Kevin.

I think that Angus and Aaron will only stay for a couple of days.

Rent is $425 devided by number coming.

It would be good to have a bay boat there also. I am certain that some of the fishntales boys should be able to point us in the right direction for a feed of saltwater fish in case we get sick of hauling in barra and bass.

If some people wish to only come for a few days we can just work out a per day cost.

Highset and semiclosed in underneath, only disadvantage is its is too far to walk to shops, 3 bedroom, sleeps 7 1 queen,3ks singles and 2 singles, 2 bathrooms,microwave,dvd,fans big yard heaps of parking.

I have booked an extra day to allow for anyone who can only get the weekend off the option of 2 weekends to choose from. If anyone wishes to bring their partner they can have the queen size room otherwise its mine cause I booked it

Bacically it is byo sheets,pillowcases,towels,tea towels,food,detergent,toilet paper, bond of $500 and no pets, so sorry you wont be able to bring pet budgie.

Tuckerwise I will bring along a few frozen chicken/ pasta type meals.

Probably sangas for lunch on the dam.

Communal fry up of bacon and eggs for breaky.

Several fish meals.

Barby n beers other nights.

BYO soft drinks and beers.

I will bring along a couple of kegs of home brew.

Graham cant come as he is caravanning to Tassie but I will see if he will donate a bottle of his scotch for nightcaps.

I will have room for 2 deckies in my boat.

For people bringing their own boats just be aware that there is currently a strictly enforced limit of no two stroke motors greater than 6hp allowed on the dam.Exceptions are directly injected 2 stroke ( Etec and tohatsu) and 4 stroke 60 hp and under. This is checked at the gate and you will not be allowed to enter if your boat has a larger motor.

Aaron was up at lenthalls this weekend and said plenty of bass but no barra.

I have done a cut and paste from prev posts to bring it all together.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

My holidays are in jeopardy. The payroll lady has gone off sick (LWOP) for 3-6 months and I can’t get a replacement if she does not quit. Arrrrrrrrr. I am gonna do a reshuffle and she if I can get someone trained in time but I doubt it.

Crap man – they are gonna pay for this.

Archived