Lenthalls 16th to 24Feb 08 any interest.????

rayke1938

Thinking of going back to Lenthalls for a crack at the barra next February.

Looking at staying at a rental holiday house at Burrum Heads.It is an extra 20 ks to travel but i reckon the extra space and comfort is worth while. There is a boat ramp at the end of the street so we also would have access to the river or hervey bay.

I dont think the the camp ground at the dam will be ready by then as they still have to bring in 240v power .

Here is a link to one of the houses that i am considering.

http://www.elders.com.au/branch/listing/listing.php?realist_id=238541&branch_id=733

This one sleeps 6 and could probably squeese a couple more in if you only wanter to come for the weekend.It is only $370 for a week which would work out at $62 each for a week if 6 people come.There are at least 12 other places that also look ok if more want to come.

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/06/30 12:25

URL fixed up by Feral.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/30 14:27

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/09 11:17

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am up for it, will have to check with Ferg to see if he is interested. (I hope that was the right address, matched the price!).

Just click on any of the photo's in the website, then it opens a new page with a whole heap of photo's you can choose from.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/30 14:31

Brian there are over 60 houses on elders site some of them sleep up to 9 people so we are not tied to any paticular one . I have also put a post on fishntales asking about sandflies there. If they are there I will only look houses that are screened.

Ray

Here is the Elders brochure for Burrum heads. All the red dots are available houses for holiday renting.

Ray and I did a quick drive around before we left and identified at least a dozen different houses with easy access for multiple boats.

[img size=228]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/burrum_holiday_houses.jpg

There are a few more down towards the other beach as well.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/07/01 13:58

post-134-144598419715_thumb.jpg

Too right sandflies / midgies are as thick as hairs on a cats back all through that area. Some screens wont stop them and all doors must be completely sealed especially under neath as they will pour into any building. No joke, River Heads is terrible for them as well.

Try this home made repellant ( cheaper than commercial products and as effective in fact more effective because you can be more liberal with it ) -

1/3 Baby oil

1/3 Dettol

1/3 Citronella oil ( suitable for use externally on humans, some brands are not for use on skin. )

Midgies are the major downfall of outdoors life up this way. Thats not to scare anyone off, you will get somewhat immune to them or look like a leper for a while. )

Cheers

James

The only thing that worries me is if they close the dam due to low water levels and if they get no rain, but we wont know if that affects us until after the wet season (December January) We can always fish the Burrum!

I say book it.

I have just booked and paid a deposit on property 30 the retreat in Elders catalogue,Highset and semiclosed in underneath, only disadvantage is its is too far to walk to shops, 3 bedroom, sleeps 7 1 queen,3ks singles and 2 singles, 2 bathrooms,microwave,dvd,fans big yard heaps of parking.

I have booked an extra day to allow for anyone who can only get the weekend off the option of 2 weekends to choose from. If anyone wishes to bring their partner they can have the queen size room otherwise its mine cause I booked it. If six people come for the whole 8 days the rate will be $70 which is a bit dearer than camping but it will be a lot more comfortable.Weekend visitors will be pro rata. If more than 6 byo camp stretcher.

Just hope we dont get a cyclone the dam is fishable in rain the road in will be a bit sloppy but still trafficable long as it isnt blowing more than 25knots should be ok.

Ray

The major works are all completed but a guy at the caravan park told me that the camping area and the extended hours and hp restrictions will not come into effect until the rangers house is complet4ed and 240 power is available on site. The house looks half completed but no sign of power being provided yet. I think it will have to be brought in from the highway.

The 4 knot speed limit will remain permanently as will the 6hp limit for 2 stroke but the 4stroke limit will raise to 60 hp max. There will be a permanent ranger based there to ensure restrictions adhered to.

Also spoke to Paul Dolan who is one of the acting Rangers and he virtually repeated the above but he also spoke of a possible permit system up there to control numbers fishing as it is only a relatively small impoundment that couldnt sustain heavy numbers fishing.

Maybe Big Unit may be able to comment.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/09 16:46

Monduran is next one up the line about an extra hours travelling.

Thanks Ray but isn't it going to double in size?

Only if it rains and fills up. If a restricted permit system I would imagine it would be like the one at North Pine where the permits are ballotted. The first year at north pine they only had 100 permits and they were oversubscribed and some members of the stocking group missed out. So I cant see any favoriteism taking place. Maybe they will have so many yearly ones for the locals and release weekly ones for the visitors . Bit hare to guess what the water board will do but be certain they will try to recover some costs. You just have to read the local papers to see that the CEO will try to make it self supporting.

I have no hassles with paying for a permit as long as the monies are going to be used for amenities and stocking and not bled off for admin costs etc.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/09 19:20

Have reciept for deposit and conditions of use of house.

Bacically it is byo sheets,pillowcases,towels,tea towels,food,detergent,toilet paper, bond of $500 and no pets, so sorry you wont be able to bring pet budgie.

Cant wait do you reckon 500 shrimp will be enough??

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Ray

What each?

Depends on how many going, and how keen on using bait they are.

If we have six for the week, with a few blow ins for the weekend,should be ok, as Ferg and I are happy to Barra fish on lures (Mind you I am definately going to put a 30.1cm bass out as a livie)

Maybe go 800 in case we get a few more, or the fish are hot. Hate to be out of bait with the fish on the bite on day 4 or 5!

Feral, the biggest barra I got there was on a 3 inch shrimp, if this wholesaler works out ok I reckon a 6/0 with about 4 or 5 shrimp wriggling around would have to tempt the the big buggers (or the mother of all bass) Mind u we got sick of the bass as well:laugh:

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/07/11 20:34

Awesome, I unfortunately have to aim for 99.99cm, as stupid promised my girlfriend (while I was in a drunken stupor) that when I catch a metre long barra I'll propose, she hasn't let me forget about it since, is even offering to send me to barra base for 30th birthday:unsure:

• 2 months later...

rayke1938 wrote:

Have reciept for deposit and conditions of use of house.

Bacically it is byo sheets,pillowcases,towels,tea towels,food,detergent,toilet paper, bond of $500 and no pets, so sorry you wont be able to bring pet budgie.

Ray

Hey are shrimp counted as pets:huh: :P

Loz are you trying to get me shot? No she want be cooking. She drinks more then Ray so watch out for the party and sore heads.

I doubt she will come but if I offer then at least I offered. :dry: I will give teh crazy french chef the heads up, I think he will enjoy another trip.

As to the snoring - noone snores as good as me!:blink:

• 1 month later...

Archived