Advice for first trip to Kookaburra Park

Liquor Box

Hi guys,

I am going to finally make it to Kooka Park tomorrow around high tide. I have never been before and would love some basic advice to help me catch a fish:laugh: , and to prove to my dad that it is possible to catch a fish in the river!

Should I head up or down stream from the ramp?

I have read about a beach for cast netting for bait, where is it?

I was planning on using prawns, hopefully live- will i get anything?

Which side of the river etc

I will be over the moon with even getting catfish so my goals are pretty low, so hopefully I will exceed my plans:P

Thanks for any suggestions

Ok in simple answer to your questions.

I prefer upstream. No fast boaters or ski boaters. Still plenty of fish.

The boat ramp is a good spot to cast net (when the boat traffic is low). But the beach in easy to find. As soon as you pull into the park instead of driving all the way along until you get to the ramp, its straight down to the water.

The other side of the river to the car park is much deeper. But the bream seem to turn up everywhere.

On the tabs at the top of this site under Fishing and then Fishing Locations you will find a map and more information on Kooka Park.

Good luck mate.

Angus

dude as said by the other blokes if your land based head up stream, most of the beaches will have good livebait available with your cast net, heaps of good snags alongthe banks to, so if ya walk along the banks you'll be able to find some good water to fish. Let us know how ya go!

I was down there 3 days in a row last week and my grand total for the 3 days was a 14cm bream, a 9cm bullrout, and 2 prawns...

Netting wasn't much good, couldn't get any bait.. but as pcsolutionman will now know, i'm a bit of a fishing retard. so you may have better luck than me.

Post edited by: AlsHilux, at: 2007/07/02 19:33

Archived