Proposed New Fishing Regs URGENT<

rayke1938

Just got this email from Ewan Maddock Group.

"Qafca"

To:

"Qafca"

Message contains attachments

1 File (27KB)

Simplified regulations - committee draft.xlsSimplified regulations - committee draft.xls

Hi All,

Sunfish Qld needs your opinion. They have been asked by Fisheries Qld to

come up with a simplified list of fish sizes and bag limits, so that rec

anglers do not have to take an encyclopaedia on fishes or a computer with

them when they go fishing, to ensure that they do not accidentally break the

law and incur a fine.

They are asking you to comment on this revised list they have come up with,

ASAP, as it has to be presented to FQ within a fortnight.

Thank you for your cooperation with this.

Regards,

Pam

QAFCA Secretary

P O Box 3178

WEST IPSWICH Q 4305

Ph (07) 3281 3514

Mobile 0428 933 430

Email : qafca@bigpond.net.au

Subject: Emailing: Simplified regulations - committee draft

Dont know how to bring attachment across can someone do some research and post it.

Cheers

Ray

wow some big changes proposed there

7.Mackerel (all species),kingfish (all species),amberjack/sampson,mia mia,

jewfish(all species) 10 total 50, max 2 over 70cm

jewfish done to 50cm - should make some fishos happy

Mackerel done to 50 and only 2 over 70 :(

9.Coral reef fish (coral trout,emperors,sweetlips,cod,wrasse,tuskfish,parrots) 20 total 35 CT- 7, RTE - 7

sweetlip from 25 to 35cm

14.Cod (Murray & Mary River) 2 total 55

Mary River Cod no longer no take - what the

Some interesting changes in that lot.

I would like to see Bass taken up to 5 in possession to give people a decent feed if they want to keep some but only in the stocked impoundments,a bit like NSW where stocked impoundments are classed as a Put and Take fishery.

I think 2 fish is a bit low considering people pay to put them in the lakes to start with and its not like they are rare or in low numbers.

The mackeral recommendations are a but bizarre though and so is no closure on MRC within their natural ranges.

Its probably a good idea to drop the size of jew to 50cm and only 2 over 70cm, the current 75cm minimal limit is a load of poo as they are breeding fish (I presume they are breeders). Then theres the flathead, dusky remains 40 to 75cm and the rest have no size limit! so those little tuckers you get in the castnet or on bait gigs that are the size of your index finger will be legal! mmmmm fish cakes :P makes no sense.

I dont see the need for the massive changes personally.

The rules arent exactly huge, its a couple pages because it encompasses a lot of species. Anyone who can't be bothered knowing or looking up the sizes required is a knob.

Will they ever be content?

I tend to agree, I keep a pdf copy of them on my phone, not hard to open it up if unsure. Also think it can't be that simple, there really needs to be a total ban on species such as mrc in their natural range. Stocked impoundments are a different story.

Some really crazy stuff.

I would like size limit of all bass,yellas,silvers and tandans increased to 35cm and bag limit of 10 combined species.

Bullshit re mary river cod and decrease of size limit to 55cm.

Brooksy and DPI team were at Glenlyon today after doing a murray river cod survey and they had immature cod that were 65cm long so size should go up not down.

Cheers

Ray

Can't say I am a huge fan of the huge generalisations these rules bring in.

- jewfish don't breed until at least 65cm in size so taking them at 50 will create a fair few issues there.

- tuskfish at 35 now - the purple tuskies you get in the bay breed at about 25cm and only grow to about 40cm at the most. guess there won't be too many legal ones of those caught.

- no mention of red emperor? unless they are going to be at 35cm with other emperors which would be an absolute tragedy for that species.

- mackeral/pelagics - all species 50cm. WTF?

- all grunter back to 30cm. barred grunter currently at 40. 10cm is a huge change in a fish that doesn't grow quickly or to anything much more than 70cm.

- blue salmon. 35cm? really?

I personally think that if this is the way we are heading there will be two results

1) many species will suffer. generalisations in laws/regs only assist lazy people and those who are out to break the rules will do so anyway regardless

2) there will be a backlash from fishos who are responsible and know their species and obey the current rules.

Could this be labour's way of trying to get back the votes they lost at the last election through the greens preference deal - sorry - I meant the Moreton Bay zoning plan.

Mmmm Some issues there it looks like. Sizes should definetly be over the breeding size as people have mentioned.

Biggest problem I have is identifying what the fish actually are on the reef. I have 3 different guides on the boat and most fish I have caught don't appear on them. If I cant identify them or just a small fish they all go back. I'm actually photographing every fish I get now to do up my own guide.

i agree that this is a huge shock even though its only a proposal. its funny how Fisheries Qld think they have to change the rules for law breakers or is it that they cant be bothered handing out fines anymore. either way the money and time spent making such as change should be used to further educate the general public, making it easier for non regular fishos to know the rules by having it put directly in their face, i.e.. media etc. its easy for us regulars to find out the rules but for tourists or new migrants they wouldnt have a clue. maybe the queensland government should consult other states on how they do it or is this just a political stunt to get votes mmmmm. my 2 cents

Mary's remain no take in Mary catchment AND in in all current no take waters.

The Jew proposal is insane 20 total at 50cm minimum will see the population recovery since the 75cm minimum was introduced wiped out in a season.

Threadfin with a 120 max is sorely needed.

I don't understand why we would need a "simplified" version of size and take when it's not complicated in the first place. The more I think about it the more I think a fishing licence is a good idea where all recreational fisherpeople are required to have a rudimentary knowledge of size and take regulations and could be notified via email or post of changes to any fishing rules in the future. That way there would be no excuse for ignorance when people are found to be doing the wrong thing.

Also, it's my belief that a lot of people taking undersized or protected species just don't know any better, it's not that they're deliberately setting out to do harm it's just that nobody has ever shown them the correct way to care for the sustainability of our pastime.

And why the backflip on jew? Makes no bloody sense at all, if it was important to increase the size to 75 cm only recently has the threat to the species somehow been averted in such a short span of time?

Some of the bag limits seem excessive, can't see what the heck someone's going to do with 40 bream, tarwine, and blackfish? Or 30 blue salmon?

And taking 5 barra AND 5 king salmon in one session seems slaughter- you'd need a bloody big freezer to store that much fish. Going by average sizes, just 2 of each is gonna give you about 20-40kg of whole fish. Thats a lot of fish!

Mary's remain no take in Mary catchment AND in in all current no take waters.

The Jew proposal is insane 20 total at 50cm minimum will see the population recovery since the 75cm minimum was introduced wiped out in a season.

Threadfin with a 120 max is sorely needed.

Steve is that your proposal re the marys as I cannot see that in the proposal?

There is a clause at the end of the document that is very vague and ambiguous re restricted areas and no take species but no details are spelt out.

Yet they specifically state that the current regs re apparatus stand.

Another classic is that in some cases the size of maturity has not been applied and the bag limit will restrict catches. You wont go winter whiting fishing any more you will go jew fishing.

I am a member of quite a few stocking groups and only one has forwarded the info to me.

It would appear that Deedi are up to some bastardy with a secret hidden agenda.

It is very strange that there is no discussion on this on other forums.

Cheers

Ray

Ray,

General notes 3. Restricted areas, No Take, and noxious fish regulations to apply.

Mary's are No Take outside of listed impoundments and upstream thereof.

Endangered species legislation comes under Federal not State control.

Some discussion on this on SW, Jim answered this.

update

I have just been speaking to Martin Bellert from Sunfish and there is a mistake in the mackerell section.

The history of the proposal is that Sunfish have been for an extended time trying to get changes to the regulations and the so called simplified version is Fisheries response to Sunfish.

Would y0u all please as well as expressing your opinion here also respond on the email link provided in first post or even give David Bateman a ring on 38804261

Cheers

Ray

A point I would like to add Ray is that there is currently an RIS (regulatory impact statement) being undertaken for Freshwater. Long overdue actually, a fair bit of discussion on this at the recent SEQ stocking groups workshop. The only proposals raised were for even more restrictive legislation on MRC.

Archived